Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

The Yofridiz – Reverse Bass (Tutorial)

For all Hardstyle tutorials regarding DJ'ing and Producing

Postby the_yofridiz » 27 May 2010, 12:31

The Yofridiz – How we make our reverse bass (Tutorial)

I’m not by any means saying this is the way all the big names etc do it but this is our way and the way that works for us, I’ve been given lots of tips of the years from different people and producers so I’d thought I’d give something back to you guys and people who are just starting out. Enjoy!!

This is a basic tutorial for you to follow and read im going to create a youtube video for real soon.

**I’m using Cubase but I’m pretty sure you can do this in most DAW’s**

To start with create a nice clean punchy kick and add a warm sub bass layer so you have a good platform for a full kick.

I’m going to put my sub bass in G# as that is the key/note I’m going to be creating my reverse bass in.

So once you have you kick ready, go and add any VST that makes cool bass sounds in this tutorial I’m going to be using Robert Papen Predator. (Which we use alot)

Select the ‘All Basses 02’ bank and choose the ‘Bass: House Classic 4’ preset.

Pitch it down till you get it sounding nice and bassy  (In the Cubase key editor I’m in G1# so it’s pretty low)

Then draw in midi 1/8 or 1/8 triplet in the key editor and remember although the bass is not reversed yet still put it after the kick so you get an idea of what it’s going to sound like. (By this I mean off beat bass)

Ok now export the bass you made in predator, and put it back in to your project as audio. (This bit may depend on what DAW you use but im sure its all pretty much the same)

Now you have your exported bass added in as audio you need to reverse it and turn snap off so you can freely move the sample and play around with the placement of the reverse bass till it sounds cool. (getting it in the right place is key factor of having a good reverse bass)

The big tip now is to add some attack to your reverse bass in Cubase you can do fades in and fades outs on the audio so by doing this you want the reverse bass more rounded. (also make the the sample shorter if you want that scope dj kinda stabby funky reverse bass)

Now apply some cool eq and focus on the mid range frequencies and cutting some of the low end as your sub bass will provide the bass in your track. (This is important to avoid muddiness)

Now you need to effect it by adding some cool distortion and filters. We a combination of camel phat 3, camel crusher, quadrafuzz and ohmicide. (I will show you more in the video tutorial)

Once your happy its sounding good copy and paste the reverse bass so you now have two layers.

One the second reverse bass you need some bitcrush you don’t have to have some many effects so take some of the big distortions off or just turn them down, and add a cool crisp bitcrush effect, and you need to eq slightly more towards the high frequencies so it pops out of the track a bit.

You can add another layer if you feel it needs it maybe a low end version but if your sub is correct and eq’d correctly you shouldn’t need it.

Hope this helps you out in some way.

Im going to create a youtube video also for this tutorial but im mega busy right now but i promise it’ll do it very soon.

If you have any question please ask me here and i’ll try and help you out

Good luck creating
Keep music alive
The Yofridiz
the_yofridiz
Producer

Postby MKN » 27 May 2010, 12:43

Yoz you LEGEND!
MKN (25)
Producer

Postby the_yofridiz » 27 May 2010, 12:46

no probs mate

try it out man post a sample on here of wot you make

:)
the_yofridiz
Producer

Postby MKN » 27 May 2010, 14:05

YFZ BASS TRY.mp3

I don't think it's that good, but i spent like 20 mins playing around with effects and shit. any tips where you think i might be going wrong, i'd really appreciate it :)
thanks mate, respect to you for doing this _O_
MKN (25)
Producer

Postby Arivdtjuh » 27 May 2010, 14:18

Really cool that you are helping people out like that! :D

@MKN (Or smth like that)
The rev. bass on itself is pretty good tbh. :)
Black/out! http://twitter.com/black_outmedia

Zany | B-Front | Titan | Chris One | Zatox | Donkey Rollers | Noisecontrollers | Digital Punk | Ran-D | The Machine | 4v10 | Max Enforcer | Beholder | Alpha² | Crypsis | A-lusion
Arivdtjuh (27)
State Native

Postby MKN » 27 May 2010, 14:22

Arivdtjuh:Really cool that you are helping people out like that! :D

@MKN (Or smth like that)

why thank you man, the punch is pretty shit tho i knw lol
and what's with the "@MKN (Or smth like that)" :? i am MKN! :)
MKN (25)
Producer

Postby the_yofridiz » 27 May 2010, 14:45

nice one kyle dude cant listen till i get home will let you know
the_yofridiz
Producer

Postby Arivdtjuh » 27 May 2010, 15:28

MKN:
Arivdtjuh:Really cool that you are helping people out like that! :D

@MKN (Or smth like that)

why thank you man, the punch is pretty shit tho i knw lol

Wasn't sure what your nick was before typing the message :p Sorry.
Black/out! http://twitter.com/black_outmedia

Zany | B-Front | Titan | Chris One | Zatox | Donkey Rollers | Noisecontrollers | Digital Punk | Ran-D | The Machine | 4v10 | Max Enforcer | Beholder | Alpha² | Crypsis | A-lusion
Arivdtjuh (27)
State Native

Postby TheCryoniq » 27 May 2010, 15:39

Arivdtjuh:
MKN:
Arivdtjuh:

@MKN (Or smth like that)

Wasn't sure what your nick was before typing the message :p Sorry.

haha :rofl:
Cinematic Game/3D Artist @ Ubisoft
TheCryoniq (31)
State Native

Postby TakkU » 08 Jun 2010, 19:02

Really cool that u guys share this with us _O_ This weekend i'm going to give it a try ;)
Reloop Digital Jockey 2 IE
Pioneer HDJ-2000
MacBook Pro 15" 2009
Logic Studio 9
TakkU (29)
State Tourist

Postby Cama » 08 Jun 2010, 19:45

Nice tutorial! Pretty basic stuff but still interesting to read and see how different people go through in creating hardstyle.

I would like to hear some bassline samples from the_yofridiz so we can hear what his reverse bass sounded like?! (H)
Cama
State Citizen

Postby MKN » 08 Jun 2010, 20:25

well as you said it's basic, but every bassline is different i find with every track from them. i'm sure they use this same method for most of their track, i dunno, but here's their tracks for you and IMO I LOVE the bassline in every track :D :dance:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yfztv

BTW you may find a sense of DJMKN93 bumming the yofridiz as i think i might have commented every video :rofl:
MKN (25)
Producer

Postby the_yofridiz » 10 Jun 2010, 14:08

Cama:Nice tutorial! Pretty basic stuff but still interesting to read and see how different people go through in creating hardstyle.

I would like to hear some bassline samples from the_yofridiz so we can hear what his reverse bass sounded like?! (H)

check out of tracks man if you wanna here our rev bass
the_yofridiz
Producer

Postby Wuppa » 10 Jun 2010, 23:26

wow, nice that you guys are shareing this. cheers yoz
Wuppa (24)
State Citizen

Postby sparty113 » 18 Jun 2010, 00:14

the_yofridiz:
Cama:Nice tutorial! Pretty basic stuff but still interesting to read and see how different people go through in creating hardstyle.

check out of tracks man if you wanna here our rev bass

fuck yes they have some sick bass lines...... Dub con one...... one of the many
sparty113
State Senior Citizen

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles