Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

[DJing/Mixing] How to record a set (Basic)

For all Hardstyle tutorials regarding DJ'ing and Producing

Postby zanshi » 13 Jul 2010, 13:18

blah...
so i feel awesome today and that's why i decided to make this basic tutorial for recording your sets
it's basically the way i do it at the moment, cause i got no external soundcard etc etc
so basic stuff - the noob way :D

what you need:
your setup
a cinch/rca-to-3.5mm-cable (or adapters, make sure the cable is long enough!)
a recorder like Audacity (Freeware!!! but make sure you also install the LAME-mp3-encoder!)

1)
So what you do first is plug the cinch/rca-cable in the rec output of your mixer,
should be right next to the master
plug the 3.5mm in you computers microphone input

2) open up audacity (it may look different on windows - sorry!)
and go into the settings and select you microphone input for recording

3) now it's time to check out if you're overdriving
simply play two tracks at the same time (at their loudest parts, so simply play two climaxes or whtever)
and click record
if you're overdriving simply turn down the input-level - if you're too quiet, turn it up
(i've been too quiet, you see :P)

it may take two tracks or more till you find "your" soundlevel,
simply delete those tracks later by clicking the "X" in the upper left corner of them

5) record - save as mp3 - upload :P
(do not forget the LAME-encoder!!!!)

hope this was helpful, as i said i don't know if it's basically the "right" way
but is A (basic and fast) way to to it :P
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (27)
State Hero

Postby Wuppa » 14 Jul 2010, 02:20

cool, thx for shareing ;)
Wuppa (24)
State Citizen

Postby sparty113 » 14 Jul 2010, 02:23

By far the best illustrated tutorial i have seen :rofl: :rofl:
sparty113
State Senior Citizen

Postby casefan » 16 Jul 2010, 16:14

Actually there is a line-in input next to the microphone input on most laptops / computers. (Blue in most cases.) That's the one you would want to use instead of the (Pink in most cases.) microphone input. (Which is meant for actually attaching a microphone to.)

Maybe you wont hear a difference (after you set up the volume correctly.) But the line-in port usually has less problems with this 'overdrive' and in windows (don't know sure for mac) the microphone input settings are totaly fucked, (like standard they are boosted by 10Db xD ) so line-in = the way to go!

(Sometimes the mic-in = mono and line-in = stereo :O)

meh.
casefan (27)
State Senior Citizen

Postby zanshi » 16 Jul 2010, 21:17

aw thanks for the hint :D didn't know that! lol
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (27)
State Hero

Postby malicious_kode » 18 Jul 2010, 09:03

sparty113:By far the best illustrated tutorial i have seen :rofl: :rofl:

Paintbrush for Mac, is it? I did an Audacity tutorial as my first post on another forum once. My second post was an edit of some track and after that I got booted off coz the edit contained (was made entirely from) copyrighted material. Oh well...

These are the remains of the one I did. It was almost identical to this, except it had some video in place of the illustration of Line In.

I see that you are also using v1.3(beta). Personally, I'd use the stable version (1.2.6) for a live recording just because I don't wanna risk a crash 60 minutes into a 78 minute recording. Once the recording is saved, then I'll open it up in 1.3 for editing, since 1.3 allows a better workflow (plus floating toolbars, etc.). And remember to set the autosave function in Preferences (mine saves @2min intervals but do whatever works for you) so that in the event of a crash, all or most of your work can be recovered when you restart.

Oh, and this will seem like common sense to most, but some of us did learn the hard way. Do not monitor from the software playthru. That is, do not mix off the computers output. Because blah blah blah latency blah blah blah... Basically, the playback from the software is delayed by half a second. Monitor from that and you will come to understand the true meaning of the word "FAIL" (I have the evidence recorded on a CD somewhere which I hope is well hidden). Your mixer probably has 2 outputs- MASTER and BOOTH or something similar. One goes to your speakers, use the other to connect to the computer Line In.

Anyway, on the topic of recording.. I never had a computer until about 2 years ago. Anyone else ever record to cassette tape?
Anyone else even know what a cassette tape is?

Nah, probably before your time anyway.
No kick topics, no exceptions.
For kick-related stuff use the topics in the red text above. #n00bz4eVar
malicious_kode
State Celebrity

Postby iGrasmat » 07 Aug 2010, 01:57

If you're using the output slots to record, where is the sound output then...? o_O
I used to be afraid to dream but not anymore, no matter how bad the dreams get, when I wake up, it's always worse.
"The Sickest Squad ft. System 3 - One Of Us
iGrasmat (24)
Producer

Postby malicious_kode » 07 Aug 2010, 02:55

iGrasmat:If you're using the output slots to record, where is the sound output then...? o_O

:?

malicious_kode:Your mixer probably has 2 outputs- MASTER and BOOTH or something similar. One goes to your speakers, use the other to connect to the computer Line In.

This..... :one:
malicious_kode
State Celebrity

Postby iGrasmat » 07 Aug 2010, 13:54

My mixer only has 2 outputs: MASTER and USB...
So I guess I should use the USB output to connect it to the computer and the Master output for the speakers?
I used to be afraid to dream but not anymore, no matter how bad the dreams get, when I wake up, it's always worse.
"The Sickest Squad ft. System 3 - One Of Us
iGrasmat (24)
Producer

Postby malicious_kode » 07 Aug 2010, 19:23

That would be a good idea. Not so hard this recording stuff after all, is it? :p
malicious_kode
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles