Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Hardstyle/Nustyle Melody Tutorial + Some Theory

For all Hardstyle tutorials regarding DJ'ing and Producing

Postby ViceOfFire » 20 Jun 2010, 21:27

I made this tutorial because there is a severe lack of help out there when trying to make a hardstyle melody. I was once searching youtube and found about 20 tutorials named "hardstyle melody tutorial" that weren't hardstyle at all. I've made this to remedy that. I don't claim to be an authority on making melodies, but this is one easy way to make a basic nustyle melody. Let me know what you think:

There is some basic theory in the description to aid in why what notes are put where. I pretty much gleaned it from knowing classical theory and studying a lot of hardstyle midis :P
msn: kriskebbe@hotmail.com
I believe the best way to gain knowledge is to share it. Add me if you'd like to share.
ViceOfFire
State Newcomer

Postby zanshi » 22 Jun 2010, 00:40

The popular way to make a hardstyle/nu style melody these days. Excuse the use of Nexus at the end, I work in Cubase now but made it in FL so it's easier for people to follow, and all my leads are in Cubase.

THINGS TO NOTE AS YOU WATCH:
1. Use a keyboard or piano to compose your melody if possible. This is the best way as it is more fluid and you are more productive.

2. LEARN A SCALE! It takes 5 minutes to go to wikipedia and learn a scale and it's respective chords, so please don't just place random notes because it wont work.

3. Set your grid snap options to "1/3 step" (this can vary, but keep your bass notes in the same general area)

4. Half/whole steps up/down. Notice that the first 2 notes are D, then when the bassline changes to Bflat the high notes start on E? This is done to create that harmonic kind of sound hardstyle melodies have. Same with the 3rd bar bassline going down just one from Bflat to A. Get some midis from people like Headhunterz/Noisecontrollers/Toneshifterz and analyse where they make use of this.

5. Play around till something seems right. It might take a while, but you'll be more pleased with the results than if you simply slapped something together.

(Quoted for those who are too lazy to open it in youtube xD like me. :+ )

very nice tutorial tho - very well done :3
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (27)
State Hero

Postby ViceOfFire » 22 Jun 2010, 03:29

Thankyou very much for the positive feedback, I appreciate it. I'm flattered, especially since you're the creator of the "good tutorial" thread. For what it's worth I would have added voice but the closest thing I have to a mic is the outside of my HDJ's :P
I believe the best way to gain knowledge is to share it. Add me if you'd like to share.
ViceOfFire
State Newcomer

Postby Noxit » 28 Jun 2010, 21:37

Hey its me noxit,

again the inspiration is dripping of me after im hearing this one xD
https://www.facebook.com/NoxitNL || https://soundcloud.com/noxitofficial
Open for collabs, PM me with decent work! (Cubase5)
Noxit
Producer

Postby ViceOfFire » 29 Jun 2010, 12:52

Thanks heaps dude, I'm really flattered and honoured :3
Really glad it gave you some inspiration.
ViceOfFire
State Newcomer

Postby Subject Zero » 29 Jun 2010, 19:27

Nice tutorial, well explained and im sure this will help when i start producing again :P
Subject Zero (27)
State Hero

Postby Re-Phaze » 06 Sep 2010, 22:08

thanks for a proper hardstyle melo tut and tips :D
Re-Phaze (28)
State Newcomer

Postby ClaesLanng » 06 Sep 2010, 22:13

really worth reading, watching & hearing :)
ClaesLanng (27)
State Tourist

Postby PumpStatic » 14 Feb 2012, 00:40

Thanks for this
PumpStatic (23)
State Native

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles