Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Get your Track together / Composing Basics

For all Hardstyle tutorials regarding DJ'ing and Producing

Postby jobro » 03 Jan 2011, 19:44

Many here who are new to HS production often starts with a nice vocal and then tries to align a beat to it. That generates a sloppy song that very few dj's will not listen to, purchase or even play. This is not the way to do a good HS song. Let me tell you from what I've learned so far:

Framing it up

First thing we need to set up a frame of bars to use, in this example I use 16 as the frame size.

Patterns

When it comes to the different patterns I use basically this sceme:

patterns 1-8 for kick
pattern 9-16 for hihat
pattern 17-24 for clap
pattern 25-28 for ride cymbal
pattern 29-32 for crash cymbal
pattern 33-40 for percussion 1
pattern 41-48 for percussion 2
pattern 49-56 for percussion 3
pattern 57-64 for snares
pattern 65-80 for bass
pattern 81-95 for leads, screeches etc.
pattern 96-127 for different orchestral parts.
pattern 128-191 for different vocal effects
pattern 192-255 for all other sounds I need.

Mixing things up

So we have the timeframe and we have the patterns arranged. Now why would I use this layout? Basically to create more vivid and fun music. If you use just 1 pattern for kick, 1 for percussion etc then your song is judged to sound boring. But when using different patterns you can create some more intresting stuff. I allways set pattern1 in each group to the basic pattern. Now I can create a nice set of 16 bars thru this patterns. For instance the kick can use the following patterns:

1112 1113 1142 1738

You get my point?

Let the bass kick!

Many, if not all, HS tracks, have a pulse going from the start or allmost from the start. This is most likely a phatt kick that hits 4 to the floor. Without this pulse it is allmost impossible to make a good HS track. Therefor the alpha and the omega in HS productions is to get a nice pulse going.

Roll the drums!

Next part you need to do is to add some nice percussions to drive the song forward. Good percussions can be found at most p2p networks but even sites like www.findsounds.com can have some splendid percussion samples. The key to getting an intresting track is to use multiple patterns each with a slight different setting.

Now here comes the bass

What you need to know about the bass is that it need variations as well. Even tho you maybe don't use more than 1 pattern for the bass you can still use the rest for controlling the parameters of the bass.

Melodies

Making nice melodies are not very easy, and making the song bounce and jump to the melody is even harder. What you need to do is to create 1 pattern per bar of the melody so you can reposition the patterns to get a good melody from it. Often the chords doesn't match up well in 1234 so you maybe have to make 1634 to make the chords flow better.

Voices / Vocals

Some voices aren't made from the start for music. But the voice has rhythms in some cases. What you need to do is to pick out these rhythms and slice up the voice so it uses the rhythm you found but with other slices.

Putting it together

When you are writing your song remember to be spartanic, don't overcrowd your song with different patterns. Listen to the track and arrange the percussion so they fit together, and so that the first syncs to an important part of the second, and so on.

Well that's about it. I'll add new parts as I recall them. Have fun and good luck with your music!
jobro
State Newcomer

Postby impression » 05 Jan 2011, 21:06

Ok in response to this, i didn't get it a t first but now i think i do.

You mean make 8 different patterns of a kick. save them and etc etc

Before you start arranging your track.
impression
State Newcomer

Postby veiL » 05 Jan 2011, 22:01

impression:Ok in response to this, i didn't get it a t first but now i think i do.

You mean make 8 different patterns of a kick. save them and etc etc

Before you start arranging your track.

yep :)
veiL
State Newcomer

Postby impression » 05 Jan 2011, 22:47

Hahha yeah boy.... fucking great advice.

Get it.
impression
State Newcomer

Postby impression » 08 Jan 2011, 18:41

I have been bouncing my loops , is there a better way to export them or is that it?

Better to do 1 bar loops or 2 bars loops?
impression
State Newcomer

Postby sei_einfach_spam » 08 Jan 2011, 19:03

so,
u make (for example) 8 different patterns with different kickvariations?
IMO. its very hard to be open minded while producing, ..its harder than to make the beat rom po po po dom, becuz it fits good to one of the synth or some ,if u just have ur 8 variation patterns ...

Its a good way to hold some clearness in ur project... but let the 7 patterns after ur 1. kickpattern empty ;)
sei_einfach_spam
State Tourist

Postby zanshi » 09 Jan 2011, 17:33

i personally think it's a good way to learn it
it improves workflow a bit and makes stuff easier at the beginning, sure when you're more advanced you do more advaned stuff but for beginners it's a good method imho
i also used to do a similar thing with ultrabeat-patterns when i started with logic, cause i actually wanted to focus on other stuff like really getting used to the new enviroment etc O:
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (27)
State Hero

Postby impression » 09 Jan 2011, 22:51

Ok so i have just made an awesome kick, just one single kick not a bar or anything.

So i make several others now and arrange different 4 beat loop with different kicks?

Because i thought the 4 beat pattern was of the same kick.

Please someone help me it aint like im asking how to make a kick i got that part now :)
impression
State Newcomer

Postby Qlown » 14 Jan 2011, 06:56

hmmm, i think i know what your saying.

you use the same kick.

and lets hear the kick mate?
Qlown (27)
State Newcomer

Postby andytf » 17 Jan 2011, 17:44

Pattern 1 - 255: Fruity Endless Dumbness Loop !

:rofl:

Quit FL people, really.
andytf (33)
Producer

Postby Adrenalize » 17 Jan 2011, 18:06

why the fuck should we quit FL?
lol.. -.-
Adrenalize (22)
Producer

Postby Raw Output » 17 Jan 2011, 18:07

andytf:Pattern 1 - 255: Fruity Endless Dumbness Loop !

Quit FL people, really.

Quit life :pacman:
Raw Output (26)
Producer

Postby Subject Zero » 17 Jan 2011, 18:08

andytf:Pattern 1 - 255: Fruity Endless Dumbness Loop !

Quit FL people, really.

You being serious? You'd be surprised at how many hardstyle producers actually use it (Im talking about signed artists not just us amatuers). I have absolutely no reason to change to some other DAW which will do the same thing but look different
Subject Zero (27)
State Hero

Postby andytf » 17 Jan 2011, 18:25

Hahaha, ok.

... North Koreans.
andytf (33)
Producer

Postby Subject Zero » 17 Jan 2011, 18:40

Just because you dont like it doesn't mean its shit
Subject Zero (27)
State Hero

Quick Reply