Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Equipment advices

All about Software and Hardware (Shared HS/HC)

Postby Sharez » 12 Nov 2011, 13:33

Hi guys,

I create this topic because i need some help. I produce since about 3 years now, on Fruity Loops with a desktop PC. For some reasons i want to switch on a laptop, but i don't really know how to choose my future equipment.

First, Mac or PC ? ..
I know that the stuff from Apple is more expensive, but i read that it is also more stable, and the default soundcard provided on the Macbooks is really good. The principal inconvenient, is that in the case i choose a Mac, i will need to change my DAW, since FL isn't available for Mac OS.

Then, i need to choose the caracteristics of the hardware. Here is some questions :
- Is a SSD hard disk drive really better than a SATA ?
- 4Go DDR3 is enough ? If i took 8Go, how is the difference ?
- Do i must have an external soundcard ?
- About the processor, are the DAWs supporting multicores ? If yes, 2 cores or 4 ?

And last question, i heard that some people are producing with headphones. Is it really possible ? Which headphone are the best to produce hardstyle kind of music ?

Thanks in advance, i would also like to know any of your own experiences if you are producing on a laptop :)
(and sorry for my shitty english)
Sharez (27)
Producer

Postby DizNgage » 12 Nov 2011, 14:13

1) Mac if you have alot of money. PC if you intend on spending less for better gear, and if you intend to pirate vsts and whatnot, mac only runs RTAS/AU plugins, not vst, and there are alot less of those as warez.
2) not sure about the hard drives, but 8gb ram is faster than 4gb ram, will make a difference for you, but really its the processor you are interested in. also your going to need a 64 bit operating system if you intend to make use of anything higher than 2gb ram.
3) you dont need an external soundcard, but if you buy monitors and/or microphones that require an interface you will need the external soundcard.
4) Its not the DAW that will run on the multicores and whatnot from what i know, its the operating system and how your computer is set up
5) id suggest monitors rather than headphones because its stereo sound, as your left ear can hear the right speaker and visa versa, will give you a better point of reference when mixing your track, it is however possible to mix your track with headphones, but id suggest going with expensive high quality studio grade headphones. and dont get dre studios, they suck for mixdowns.

a thing u need to know is: cpu will determine how many vsts you can run, not the soundcard, as its the cpu that processes it first. there isnt a massive advantage of Mac vs PC, they are both different operating systems with different UI, its true mac is 'more stable', but ive had my computer for 2 years and it hasnt crashed, not once. and it was a lot cheaper than anything mac.
http://www.facebook.com/BipolarDJ - Bipolar - Hardstyle duo - Djs/Producers
DizNgage
State Newcomer

Postby Sharez » 13 Nov 2011, 12:52

Hey, thanks for your answer :) there is already a lot of usefull informations.

I agree with you on the monitors, but i think that headphones will be more practical for me.

About the soundcard, there is no risk to have a huge latency with a basic laptop soundcard ?
Sharez (27)
Producer

Postby Exit Mind » 13 Nov 2011, 12:57

DizNgage:mac only runs RTAS/AU plugins, not vst

not true, just if your using logic or pro tool you cant run vst.
But on Cubase/ Ableton etc. you run vst.
Exit Mind (27)
Producer

Postby Sharez » 13 Nov 2011, 14:03

At the moment i more thinking about getting a PC. Can someone tell me the best configuration between 1000€ and 1500€ ?
Sharez (27)
Producer

Postby casefan » 13 Nov 2011, 15:15

I'd get this:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/280476/a ... l#tab:info

Here's what I filtered for:

i7 cpu sandy bridge
usb 3.0
between 900 and 1600 euros
full HD screen (1920x1080) (you don't want less)
minimum of 6gb ram

then 4 laptops rolled out:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/496/ ... 0QvYN1XX8A

The asus with 8gb seems to be the best choice, but the top 2 ones have 'bigger' screens (same resolution though), so if you wat a big laptop maybe one of those is better. But I've had the asus in my hands before,it feels great, and the screen is just superb!

Edit:

Oh, wait, you wanted a desktop? Sorry...
meh.
casefan (27)
State Senior Citizen

Postby DizNgage » 14 Nov 2011, 00:14

overheat:
DizNgage:mac only runs RTAS/AU plugins, not vst

not true, just if your using logic or pro tool you cant run vst.
But on Cubase/ Ableton etc. you run vst.

ahk always wondered about that, fair enuff :)
http://www.facebook.com/BipolarDJ - Bipolar - Hardstyle duo - Djs/Producers
DizNgage
State Newcomer

Postby Sharez » 14 Nov 2011, 21:50

casefan:I'd get this:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/280476/a ... l#tab:info

Here's what I filtered for:

i7 cpu sandy bridge
usb 3.0
between 900 and 1600 euros
full HD screen (1920x1080) (you don't want less)
minimum of 6gb ram

then 4 laptops rolled out:

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/496/ ... 0QvYN1XX8A

The asus with 8gb seems to be the best choice, but the top 2 ones have 'bigger' screens (same resolution though), so if you wat a big laptop maybe one of those is better. But I've had the asus in my hands before,it feels great, and the screen is just superb!

Edit:

Oh, wait, you wanted a desktop? Sorry...

Hey, no you were right i want a laptop ;)

I found a less expensive with this configuration :
Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz)
8 Go (2 x 4 Go) DDR3 1333 MHz (8 Go), 2 slots
750 Go SATA 7200 tr/min
USB 3.0
Full HD screen (1920x1080)

For for 900€. I think that i'll buy this one. Can anyone suggest me good headphone for producing ?
Sharez (27)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles