Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

KICKS | General, Troubleshooting, etc

Sound design and production in general

Postby Soundphase » 08 Jul 2021, 13:39

Digital Shifter:Next to distortion, EQ, phasers etc. What else do you use to alter the character of the kick?

you might want to use All pass EQ instead of phaser. It sounds the same as a phaser but without randomness..

I don't use any phaser stuff anyway, I just use reverb, EQ, waveshaper, chorus, different distortion types (clip symmetrical/clip asymetrical/saturate/overdrive/bitcrush), volume envelope, phase distortion (only in some occasions), hard clipper

I don't often use:

phaser
phase distortion
multiband
filter envelope
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (31)
State Celebrity

Postby Digital Shifter » 11 Jul 2021, 07:43

Why do you use an all pass eq?
Behind the curtain of everyday's consciousness..
Digital Shifter (26)
State Celebrity

Postby Soundphase » 11 Jul 2021, 20:35

Digital Shifter:Why do you use an all pass eq?

it sometimes makes a nice flavor on the sound, mainly the punch. In some old frontliner tracks, you heard this "phased" sound on his kicks, it was within the older scantraxx sound. For example the Frontliner - Sunblast kick.

I recommend to watch this video

You will understand everything about All Pass EQ after watching
Soundphase (31)
State Celebrity

Postby Digital Shifter » 12 Jul 2021, 08:24

Okay thanks a lot. But what kind of plugins can offer some character changing effects?
Behind the curtain of everyday's consciousness..
Digital Shifter (26)
State Celebrity

Postby Soundphase » 14 Jul 2021, 17:16

Digital Shifter:Okay thanks a lot. But what kind of plugins can offer some character changing effects?

changing character can be done with mainly Dist, Reverb, EQ, Chorus, Phase distortion, also a Phase plugin (is like phase distortion but without distortion)... I would not mess much with phase plugins in sound design, I would normally only use them when finalizing layers.

If you want to get creative, even dynamics plugins will change the character of the sound if you force them to. For example, a compressor or Volumeshape can be put before a distortion to change how the distortion effects the sound. I made really tight punch layers by putting a compressor in the middle of the chain. But as you know, compressors are normally used at the very end. You can do anything you want though.
Soundphase (31)
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles