Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Attack on Titan - YouSeeBIGGIRL/T:T (Anton zY Bootleg)

Need feedback on your Hardstyle track? Post it here

Postby Anton zY » 18 Jul 2019, 03:35

Free download (Dropbox link): http://bit.ly/2LfMA37
Free kick (Dropbox link): http://bit.ly/2YVZjLj

From my end, there are a couple of firsts:

I made the kick from an 808 sample instead of a 909, curious if it sounds decent or not.

I tried making one of those "kick stutters" (don't know what else to call it) in the second drop, by chopping the tail into parts and repeating it. Looks like it'll take some more experience to get it sounding right.
Anton zY (29)
State Newcomer

Postby the_wraith » 22 Jul 2019, 08:20

Pretty ambitious trying to bootleg AOT hehe. If youre into JRPG or want some cool music, NieR Automata and its soundtrack are also amazing.
To the kickdrum the (5th?) harmonic is way too loud, it overpowers the bass. The effects actually I dont find bad, you seem to have a good feeling for where to use that kind of stuff. As to 909 vs 808, I think (?) the 909 - being not an actual sinewave - is more grittier than the 808, but its not really an issue. I personally never work with existing kickdrums anyways, so I cant really judge such a comparison. But to really hear if the kickdrum is cool it needs more work, as you cant hear the crunch part of it, not the bass.
The overall sound is - hm. Rather weird. My first question would be what monitoring system you are using and when you are doing a sinesweep with a testtone generator, if you get a relatively linear response. The songs by you that I remember all have a peculiar loudness and frequency balance which makes me think that you might have troublesome acoustics to work with. More concretely the AOT sample - apart from showing compression artefacts (?) sounds like it was recorded thru a muffled microphone, it has very bumpy uppe rbass, but lacks mids and clarity and detail in the higher end. In this specific song if you would repair the AOT this would probably also lead to more clarity in the lead and maybe using octaving would become unnecessary.
Last thing I noticed some weird stereo imaging phasing thing, which seems to happen because you put the master (?) in a room (?). When master reverb is used, especially when its used audibly, then if it has to many mids it will make everything sounds muddy and "warm" in a bad way, plus the in-your-face effect gets lost because the reverb pushes stuff into the back and in the worst case the most direct / close thing you hear is the short, muddy tail. I would either use sends and try to use them extremely sparingly in certain instruments, or if you have to use a master reverb(s) then sidechain it to dominant instruments so it gets pushed away when the stuff is playing, creating more space in the mix and more dynamics.
the_wraith
State Newcomer

Postby Anton zY » 13 Aug 2019, 02:35

Hey man! I really appreciate the time you put into writing your review!

the_wraith:Pretty ambitious trying to bootleg AOT hehe. If youre into JRPG or want some cool music, NieR Automata and its soundtrack are also amazing

Thanks, I'll look into it!

the_wraith:To the kickdrum the (5th?) harmonic is way too loud, it overpowers the bass

The harmonic you're talking about is probably the 3rd. I can't remember why I boosted it that high. I might have been overcompensating because I like how the 5th and 3rd harmonics sound in some rawstyle kicks, and I couldn't get that same sound with those harmonics being not as loud as the bass fundamental. Duly noted, I'll figure it out next time.

the_wraith:But to really hear if the kickdrum is cool it needs more work, as you cant hear the crunch part of it, not the bass.

This sentence didn't quite make sense to me, you're saying that a cool-sounding kick is one where you can hear the crunch, correct?

the_wraith:The songs by you that I remember all have a peculiar loudness and frequency balance which makes me think that you might have troublesome acoustics to work with

I'm really glad you touched upon the loudness 'cause despite the LUFS levels I'm hitting, my tracks never sound as loud or impactful as professional ones, or even many of the tracks here in this sub-forum. Really have no idea why.

I have KRK Rokit 8's, but I don't have space in my setup to angle them inwards, so they are parallel =/. I have no idea how bad that makes things for me. For headphones, I have Beyerdynamics 700 DT Pro's, but I don't use them to mix much.

the_wraith:More concretely the AOT sample - apart from showing compression artefacts (?) sounds like it was recorded thru a muffled microphone

I double-checked the AOT sample. It's because I ran it through PhonicMind to get an acapella and instrumental track. It sounds pretty bad by itself. Somehow I ignored the quality drop and then forgot about it. For comparison, the original sounds completely fine.

the_wraith:Last thing I noticed some weird stereo imaging phasing thing, which seems to happen because you put the master (?) in a room (?)

I have 10% wet reverb on my default mastering chain. I forget where I read about doing it (it was not a hardstyle-specific article if that makes any difference). I didn't think it would be a problem. Thanks for pointing it out. I had been wondering why my toks weren't cutting through (not just in this track, but my other ones) and I'd just boost the gain on them to make up for it.

Again, I really appreciate your review. I'll consider doing a re-edit of this with those points in mind.
Anton zY (29)
State Newcomer

Postby the_wraith » 14 Aug 2019, 07:55

Anton zY:I have KRK Rokit 8's, but I don't have space in my setup to angle them inwards, so they are parallel =/. I have no idea how bad that makes things for me. For headphones, I have Beyerdynamics 700 DT Pro's, but I don't use them to mix much.

I dont think the mere fact of not having monitors angled inwards or their quality can explain that, I assume its more that your space itself creates very troublesome acoustics. I would really take the time and use one of the test tone generator VSTs that are out there (maybe even in your DAW) and sweep slowly thru the frequency range and see how the response is - you could also use pulses to check for flutter echoes etc to get a feel for the areas most problematic. I would expect the result of such testing is probably going to be rather depressing, but you can then try to attenuate this a bit by putting an EQ in the master of your setup that tries to flatten the response - theres also automated tools for this like IK ARC but theyre costly and I dont think make a lot of sense with what I would expect the place to produce. Normally I'd advise for broad-band absorption but if you can't even turn the monitors theres probably no space for that.
the_wraith
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles