Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Sample Clearing

Sound design and production in general

Postby the_wraith » 24 Mar 2019, 13:15

Hi guys.

Since I wanna go more professional this year with my music, a question came to me, which I dont think has been mentioned here before, namely how do you clear samples? When its from another producer its relatively straightforward, but lets say you sample a dubbed movie or TV show, then the writers, have rights, the speakers have rights, the company who licensed the thing has rights... obviously thats all boiled down into per-country-laws, too. (There was an attempt in Germany to have a central clearing agency but it was closed down again, apparently cause none used it lol.)
Maybe someone can point me into a direction or share how they approach this. :)
the_wraith
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 29 Mar 2019, 11:51

nobody cleared those kind of vocals in the past because hard style wasn’t and still isn’t very popular, so nobody would find your tracks... just quietly do it and don’t try to contact the film producers, there’s no need. However, if you sample something from released music it’s different
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (29)
State Celebrity

Postby the_wraith » 06 Apr 2019, 09:03

Soundphase:nobody cleared those kind of vocals in the past because hard style wasn’t and still isn’t very popular, so nobody would find your tracks... just quietly do it and don’t try to contact the film producers, there’s no need. However, if you sample something from released music it’s different

Yea I was wondering, Andy The Cores Dropzone came to mind hehe, I'm kinda surprised noone sued the shit out of them ;).
But yea in my case I'm mostly using esoteric asian stuff so its probably even more unlikely, but still... I feel like its better to think about it, it is ultimately stealing after all.
Thanks for your perspective!
the_wraith
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 07 Apr 2019, 12:35

I believe Noisecontrollers' Attack Again had some legal issues because of the sampled melody. Just be careful about taking things from other tracks, and then releasing it as a selling track. If it's Hollywood though, I don't know if it matters really. But it would be nice to hear other peoples opinions.
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (29)
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles