Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Hardstyle and it's warrior/fantasy vocals

Postby Gyldenløwe » 13 Jul 2018, 00:15

What's the deal with the average vocals in hardstyle, really?

I mean, it's allright with an anthem every once in a while which uses the phrases and stories about warriors, dragons, rainbows and questions about time and space to hype up a party... But when it's in, correct me if I'm wrong, every third release, it's getting too awkward to me.

Not saying this is a new thing, remember it from 10 years ago as well, but hardstyle is a special case when it comes to these huge questions about excistence and so on, usually without the part after the average break giving you any sense of connection to the said words.

Does anyone know why it is like this especially in this genre? To be honest, sometimes I think it would be better to skip the vocals and keep that "empty" feeling instead. Some tracks should be left as instrumentals.
"Everyone has an ego, mine is just bigger...and better" - Gyldenløwe
Gyldenløwe (28)
State Native

Postby Doctor Dave » 13 Jul 2018, 00:19

I'd rather have those vocals than all the 90-second male-vocalist popsong breaks we have in every other track, but it has to be done right, keep the vocal quite short and don't repeat it too often (I'm looking at you, "To War!").
Doctor Dave (30)
Producer

Postby Gyldenløwe » 13 Jul 2018, 00:27

Doctor Dave:I'd rather have those vocals than all the 90-second male-vocalist popsong breaks we have in every other track, but it has to be done right, keep the vocal quite short and don't repeat it too often (I'm looking at you, "To War!").

I don't like the broken hearted males from mainstream EDM either, but I just think it's lame with the same old..
Gyldenløwe (28)
State Native

Postby Doctor Dave » 13 Jul 2018, 00:40

Yeah, definitely agree it's overdone and outstayed its welcome. I love it when a new track comes out and it's just got a cool sample from a movie or a videogame. I wonder if producers nowadays see sampling as bad thing?
Doctor Dave (30)
Producer

Postby zanshi » 13 Jul 2018, 04:36

I never agreed with you a lot, Tage, but in this case it's spot on.
A lot of the lyrics are very tacky, if not cringeworthy.

But it's also because of how the target group for Hardstyle is designed - mostly 14-25 year old middle-to-lower class guys with low to middle education, people like that use this music and its festivals as a form of escapism, being told fairytales, going to highly overproduced festivals, watching picture-perfect DJs playing overproduced music is all part of that imo.
"ars ex scientia"
zanshi (26)
State Hero

Postby Stryder » 13 Jul 2018, 06:55

i believe producers should just do whatever they want ;)
Stryder (18)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Emre » 13 Jul 2018, 07:43

'Mostly middle-to-lower class guys with low to middle education' lmfao get off your bubble zanshi

OT: i'd rather hear 1000 more vocals about dragons and fantasy than one more kill,destroy mutilation DRUG$$$ vocal.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby Vicious » 13 Jul 2018, 07:51

Emre:'Mostly middle-to-lower class guys with low to middle education' lmfao get off your bubble zanshi

It's true! I just started listening to Drum And Bass and instantly my wallet exploded with cash and then I earned a degree in nuclear chemistry
Vicious
State Hero

Postby ceero » 13 Jul 2018, 07:59

Honestly, electronic music in general, not just hardstyle, is not your place to be if you are looking for some meaningful / deeper lyrics. Vast majority of them are written just to be cool to sing along and sound good. And there is nothing wrong with that! But if you are after lyrics that struck on on a different level, look further from electronic music, really.

@ zanshi you feel you are sooooo much better than everyone else, right? Sorry but you are pathetic.

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Postby RidiQless » 13 Jul 2018, 08:40

I prefer listening to fairytales and going to "overproduced" Festivals than listening to Techno and going to Partys were barely anyone really interacts with each other and where it's uncool for the dj to move more than his head..

Ofc that's exaggerated but still. It's not that in other genres (of electronic music) the lyrics are any deeper than they are in hardstyle. But what actually happens in hardstyle is that often lyrics try to build a community feeling. And obviously it's kind of working if we take a look at defqon. And for me personally there is nothing wrong with that.
ImageImage
RidiQless (24)
State Celebrity

Postby Lnka » 14 Jul 2018, 00:43

100% agreed, I swear I'd pay extra to have all the tracks I possess, have a dub version lol.
The vocals are mostly way too cringey for me to listen to it completely relaxed. Hell nah.
Lnka
State Outsider

Postby Gyldenløwe » 14 Jul 2018, 15:26

Again, yesterday. The trailer for Q-dance presents: Project One.

I quote: "Those that stare into the abyss, will see a perfect reflection of the universal mind."

It's big words, but it makes no f*cking sense. At least never happened to me while staring into the abyss.
Gyldenløwe (28)
State Native

Postby The Convicted » 14 Jul 2018, 15:43

ceero:Honestly, electronic music in general, not just hardstyle, is not your place to be if you are looking for some meaningful / deeper lyrics. Vast majority of them are written just to be cool to sing along and sound good. And there is nothing wrong with that! But if you are after lyrics that struck on on a different level, look further from electronic music, really.

Hmm, I have to disagree. I myself was very surprised when I found some trap-influenced(!) songs from Grandson with some really interesting topics in the lyrics. Could be just some regular rap stuff tho:

(and yeah, I know you mentioned vast majority of them)
The Convicted (23)
Global Mod

Postby jondoe » 14 Jul 2018, 21:19

the funniest case of this was that anthem by headhunterz i think, that said "the controllers were being controlled by controls" or something.
jondoe
State Outsider

Postby Doctor Dave » 14 Jul 2018, 21:24

jondoe:the funniest case of this was that anthem by headhunterz i think, that said "the controllers were being controlled by controls" or something.

Haha, Noisecontrollers - Ctrl.Alt.Delete iirc, that line always stood out to me
Doctor Dave (30)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles