Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Steps to Make Hardstyle ?

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby kykon » 03 Mar 2018, 21:14

Hey guys,

So wyle i was studying i start thinking about what steps should a Producers ( Bigginers) and at some point even the expert producers, take to achive the top .

So basicly i m studying Music Theory at the moment but i feel i m getting stuck and what i m learning is good (to compose) but is not enought to produce a full track with a great quality so i thought and ask you what should a start producers do to improve his knowledge ?

you could answer with an step by step ex: " 1- Know how your Daw works"
2- Find Vst's , Presets for Hardstyle ....

Or u can talk about how u get there ...

I'm asking this because i m always thinking about what i m doing is not right and i never know what step should i take next , because it's easy to find information but it's hard to put everything together and do something good!

Hope you can help me out! _O_ _O_ _O_
Believe is the First step for Success ....
kykon (23)
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 03 Mar 2018, 21:41

you have to start a track with a kick. that's how it works in hardstyle.. If you don't have a kick, then most likely you also don't have a usable melody and lead because everything (even the melody) gets built around the kick. It all depends on the character of the kick is as well
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby kykon » 04 Mar 2018, 17:50

Soundphase:you have to start a track with a kick. that's how it works in hardstyle.. If you don't have a kick, then most likely you also don't have a usable melody and lead because everything (even the melody) gets built around the kick. It all depends on the character of the kick is as well

So what u saying is that i should build the kick first and then do the track? should the melody be the main thing to think? It can also be other way around , u think about melody and after u do the kick ... but if u are talking about the construction fo the track you probably right :D that i don't know
kykon (23)
State Newcomer

Postby Neko » 05 Mar 2018, 12:27

In my opinion, I don't think its important to start with a kick. Making a solid kick for hardstyle is probably one of the hardest challenges a producer has and it can demotivate a beginner right from the start.
In fact, it really doesnt matter where you start. It all comes with trying different stuff in your DAW. In order to be able to do so, you ofc should know the basics of your DAW, cause a DAW can really be a turn off for a beginner aswell as most DAWs are pretty complicated to understand.
If you got an idea for a melody for example in your head, take presets for a synthesizer and take maybe frontliners kick sample and start arranging stuff. After some time, you'll get used to working in your DAW and you can start producing your own kicks, your own synths and so on.
For me, it was always important to have successfull moments to keep producing. I got my successfull moments by doing full tracks, starting off mostly with bootlegs or remixes, because it was easier to do my very own work but orientate myself on a already existing track. I did one remix, was mostly satisfied but knew what I should improve on. Then I did another remix, was even more satisfied, posted it in the feedback section in this forum, got feedback on what to improve on. And then I did another track and so on. This kind of cycle I still keep on doing. With every track I produced I feel like having improved a bit.
Cant point a finger on what to do first, except learning the basics of your DAW in order to be able to do atleast something.
Overall it can really help if you try to rebuild a track from an established producer. This way you can understand how a hardstyle track works. I learned this stuff while DJing, as i was a DJ for 5 years before I started producing. Same goes for a synthesizer for example. Recreating stuff was really helpfull for me to understand how shit works so I could go on and do those things on my own and getting a unique sound.
Formerly known as Maneki Neko
https://www.facebook.com/djmanekineko
Neko (26)
Producer

Postby kykon » 05 Mar 2018, 17:23

Neko:In my opinion, I don't think its important to start with a kick. Making a solid kick for hardstyle is probably one of the hardest challenges a producer has and it can demotivate a beginner right from the start.
In fact, it really doesnt matter where you start. It all comes with trying different stuff in your DAW. In order to be able to do so, you ofc should know the basics of your DAW, cause a DAW can really be a turn off for a beginner aswell as most DAWs are pretty complicated to understand.
If you got an idea for a melody for example in your head, take presets for a synthesizer and take maybe frontliners kick sample and start arranging stuff. After some time, you'll get used to working in your DAW and you can start producing your own kicks, your own synths and so on.
For me, it was always important to have successfull moments to keep producing. I got my successfull moments by doing full tracks, starting off mostly with bootlegs or remixes, because it was easier to do my very own work but orientate myself on a already existing track. I did one remix, was mostly satisfied but knew what I should improve on. Then I did another remix, was even more satisfied, posted it in the feedback section in this forum, got feedback on what to improve on. And then I did another track and so on. This kind of cycle I still keep on doing. With every track I produced I feel like having improved a bit.
Cant point a finger on what to do first, except learning the basics of your DAW in order to be able to do atleast something.
Overall it can really help if you try to rebuild a track from an established producer. This way you can understand how a hardstyle track works. I learned this stuff while DJing, as i was a DJ for 5 years before I started producing. Same goes for a synthesizer for example. Recreating stuff was really helpfull for me to understand how shit works so I could go on and do those things on my own and getting a unique sound.

Thank you so much !! Was this type of answer i needed ! It's really dificult when u start doing a track by yourself and at some point it doesent seems an hardstyle track anymore... Even studying , it's preatty hard to know if what u doing is good or not and yes it can be demotivated to start sound design special if u are a bigginer... So i just need to thank you so much for this help cus i was already stuck and i was studing a bit of everything, melodies , sound design , track structure .... everything... this made me already start looking for new content to "cover" or "rebuild" so i can understand how it works!! _O_ _O_ _O_
kykon (23)
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 08 Mar 2018, 13:21

Neko:In my opinion, I don't think its important to start with a kick. Making a solid kick for hardstyle is probably one of the hardest challenges a producer has and it can demotivate a beginner right from the start.

beginners can rip kicks or use someone else's kick to get an idea for what kind of sounds need to go with it.

Neko:In my opinion, I don't think its important to start with a kick.

This statement only applies if you already have experience of knowing what should go in a track and have experience of what kind of melodies work an what doesn't work. the producer is likely to make drive-less melodies if they have no groundwork for the melody to work with
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby Dj Reaper » 08 Mar 2018, 19:37

When I started I just had some keyboard skills, vague ideas for melodies that came up while playing the keyboard and parts of tracks that I would like to hear but had no idea on how I could realize. I informed myself on how analog substractive synthesis works and tried to apply what I learnt in Sylenth1 (by trying to make primarely leads, but also kicks, plucks, pads and other hardstyle sounds). When i had some sounds I just started making a track. For drums I used the ones included in Fl Studio.
The arrangement was very basic (as when i started producing I just knew some stuff from youtube, didn't even know that intros and so exist), usually just break and climax/drop. The sounds were very amateurish, kicks sounded like bass plucks and leads were very metallic and shrill. I also didn't know what a mixdown was, I just raised the volume of a sound when I couldn't hear it well what resulted in the Limiter on the Masterchannel (that you should take off if you use Fl Studio) acting or, when I learnt that i had to disable it, it resulted in clipping audio.
So yeah it sounded like shit at the beginning but I just kept making tracks. With every track I heard some new things that I didn't like and searched tutorials or information about how to make this and that correctly.
By just making tracks I practised all aspects of producing simultaneously and became better at sounddesigning (kicks aswell as leads and all other stuff), arranging (I listened and analyzed tracks in their original mix and understood how to build them, understood that you should only have 1 melody or screech at a time and not overlapping different stuff until it sounds confused), I also learnt that tracks should be mixed and how to do so and by trying around, browsing the internet and keep making tracks I eventually reached the point where my tracks sounded good enough for being released on a label.

So my advice would be just make tracks. Don't waste 2 years on only learning how to make a kick. You will only get frustrated. And if one day you manage to somehow churn out a usable kick you don't really know how to use it and make all the rest. If you are like me and really want to design your own sounds, do as well as you can, accept that it will be far from professional and make a track (again accept that it will be far from professional) and keep going. Otherwise if you want something that sounds ok sooner and it sickens you too much to have to accept that your music sounds amateurish and can't be played anywhere just start with samples and ripped sounds. Practise melody writing, arrangement, mixing and so on and meanwhile, when not inspired, try around with sounddesign. Eventually you will be able to swap out more and more presets and samples with selfmade sounds until all your main sounds are your own sounds. But I would avoid the trap to become a frustrated kick-technician (if that is not the only thing that interests you). If rather than being a technician you want to create music then just dive in and do it.
Dj Reaper
State Native

Postby spitles » 09 Mar 2018, 17:20

kykon:what i m learning is good (to compose) but is not enought to produce a full track with a great quality

imo "produce a full track" and "produce great quality" are two different exercices ...
i can't help you with sound quality, but for full tracks :

- set a theme for your track (ex: monkeys, motorsports, basketball, horror, romance, pingpong, samouraïs, war, birthday, super heroes of the harder styles, etc...), a purpose (is it for your next ep/album, or is it for an event, or for another act/dj, etc...)
- hunt for audio resources according to the genre (hardstyle in that case) and the theme of your track (ex: sample packs, instruments, record audio, vocals, plugins, sfx, midi files, melodies, etc...)
- structure the timeline of your track (intro/outro, how many verses, which resources these verses will contain/focus on, etc...)
- build a complete first version of your track, melodies/sounds/etc... add mixer automations, test the track, change what you feel needs to be changed in next versions of the track until you valid it - then mastering and final files exports ...(then publication, then feedbacks/fame/hate/etc...)
spitles (32)
State Citizen

Postby kykon » 09 Mar 2018, 19:28

spitles:imo "produce a full track" and "produce great quality" are two different exercices ...
i can't help you with sound quality, but for full tracks :

- set a theme for your track (ex: monkeys, motorsports, basketball, horror, romance, pingpong, samouraïs, war, birthday, super heroes of the harder styles, etc...), a purpose (is it for your next ep/album, or is it for an event, or for another act/dj, etc...)
- hunt for audio resources according to the genre (hardstyle in that case) and the theme of your track (ex: sample packs, instruments, record audio, vocals, plugins, sfx, midi files, melodies, etc...)
- structure the timeline of your track (intro/outro, how many verses, which resources these verses will contain/focus on, etc...)
- build a complete first version of your track, melodies/sounds/etc... add mixer automations, test the track, change what you feel needs to be changed in next versions of the track until you valid it - then mastering and final files exports ...(then publication, then feedbacks/fame/hate/etc...)

Thanks for the Tip man . I know that's realy dificult to to reach the "Great Quality" sound and ofc theres 2 different things ... Build a Full track is my 1st goal , the 2 will be the quality of the track . But as i said it's missing me some of the knowledge needed to built the track , for example , i can do a melody , i can pick a kick a bass even doing to the climax but the hard part is to structure the track at some point i m doing hardstyle and in another i m already further then hardstyle then i look to my track and it has almost 10min ....

Is it possible , i dono but for you to teach me how to simplify the structure of a track ? I already check some posts of hardstyle structure track but picking the right pluggin , or the right kick and samples are making this a storm ...

Much apreciate the tip for composing the track~!! _O_
kykon (23)
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 14 Mar 2018, 19:31

you posted this topic in the wrong section, should be here:

general-sound-design-f66/

my honest advice for beginner producing - be comfortable in achieving very little or even failure, don't be demotivated because you could very well be wasting your time doing something even more pointless in life. Have fun experimenting with your mixer plugins and synthesizers and don't be afraid to be original.
Last edited by Soundphase on 14 Mar 2018, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby RaVaGe » 14 Mar 2018, 19:32

Copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy,copy.

Divide the track you want to copy, you will never be able to remake a SBZ or an Audiofreq track, try to remake their leads, the breaks etc.

Copy all the stuf that inspires you, once you understand enough, take inspiration from the work you copied and create a track out of that. (don't ask money for it :+ )
RaVaGe (26)
State Native

Postby Soundphase » 14 Mar 2018, 19:35

RaVaGe:Copy all the stuf that inspires you

maybe that's difficult to do at the very beginning :+
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby RaVaGe » 14 Mar 2018, 22:00

Soundphase:
RaVaGe:Copy all the stuf that inspires you

maybe that's difficult to do at the very beginning :+