Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Virtual DJ removes compression/limiting?

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby Rythlectionz » 02 Oct 2015, 23:36

Hello everyone, not sure if someone already noticed that, maybe it's even a very nooby question lol (should mention I'm very new to the whole DJing) but somehow Virtual DJ seems to be able to remove the compression/limiting that was used in the mastering process of a track. I noticed that when recording a set while practising.

I made a screenshot to give you a better example of what i mean.

Here you see „On your mark“ by Atmozfears. Above the original studio version and below the one that comes from the Virtual DJ output. (or is it maybe the Controller that is removing all compression?). And i guess you can clearly see how all the transients are not getting cut off like above. Now I'm really wondering how that is possible. I alwas thought once a track is mastered the compression cant be undone anymore. Pls don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about that. Actually I'm kinda excited to see that there is something you could do when you're not that huge fan of the louderness war lol
Rythlectionz (30)
State Newcomer

Postby ID » 03 Oct 2015, 00:05

Use Traktor, probel solved !
ID
State Senior Citizen

Postby Rythlectionz » 03 Oct 2015, 00:36

No pls dont get me wrong. Like i said. It's not a problem for me. I'm just curious about how it's possible that a programm can bring a track back to the state when it wasn't mastered. ;)
Rythlectionz (30)
State Newcomer

Postby Thrice » 03 Oct 2015, 03:13

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140358556

It's basically only a recreation attempt. It's not the real uncompressed version.
You could test this with your own track.

1. Create an uncompressed Track
2. Save another version with heavy compression
3. Load the compressed version into Virtual DJ
4. Compare "repaired" version with original uncompressed version
5. Post results ;)

Edit: Not sure if this is the method used by Virtual DJ, but it's likely.
Thrice (29)
State Citizen

Postby Rythlectionz » 03 Oct 2015, 14:27

Ahh so thats how it works :)

Well even if it's not exact the same uncomressed audio file, it's still nice you can at least restore some of the dynamic range.

And ok. I will try that and post the results when back home
Rythlectionz (30)
State Newcomer

Postby Rythlectionz » 03 Oct 2015, 18:56

Ok i tried it using my Hardstyle remix of „Stamp on the Ground“

And here the wave forms ( from buildup to the last climax part):

Above is the original mixdown without compression / limiting and underneath the decompressed one that Virtual DJ spits out. Seems like it can't restore the entire dynamic range but at least it is not cutting the volume peaks.
Next time i do a remix I'll definitely try to decompress an official track first. Would be interesting if there is some difference in quality ;D
Rythlectionz (30)
State Newcomer

Postby Euphorizer » 03 Oct 2015, 21:10

^ As you can see there, Virtual DJ does not decompress anything at all. It actually seems to normalize it (to a db value lower than 0), which means it DOES compress it. Either way, it's garbage. Throw it out.
Euphorizer (22)
Producer

Postby martincek » 04 Oct 2015, 00:52

virtual dj is not decompressing anything, you are adding to a signal with dj software like these (like with the internal EQ) - which is why it doesnt look as limited. i.e. if you were playing the file at original volume (+-0dB) it would not get quieter, but louder.
martincek (26)
Kebab Guru & Producer

Postby Rythlectionz » 08 Oct 2015, 01:00

Ok I see, thanks guys!
well the only thing i'm not sure about this is:
martincek:you are adding to a signal with dj software like these (like with the internal EQ) - which is why it doesnt look as limited.

I wasn't using any fx or eq when i played the song into Cubase. Was playing the track without any manipulation at all. So where does that added signal come from then?
Rythlectionz (30)
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles