Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Consequences of summer 2018.

Postby The Blaster » 18 Jul 2018, 04:38

humidex value of 47 Celsius in southern ontario was a first since records began (i guess 100-150 years ago).
its hovered between 40-45 Celsius (humidex value) for about a month for most of the day with only one significant rainfall - i guess drought conditions.

I am skeptical about the whole climate change debate but its been an unusual year for sure. It has been difficult to sleep and around 70 old people died in Montreal with temps of around 40 on the humidex.
The Blaster
State Celebrity

Postby DjVero » 18 Jul 2018, 10:11

ceero:Well, welcome to global warming. If you want to do something about it, please vote for politicians who do not deny basic science and general scientific consensus about it (especially our US friends)

Global warming has always existed. It's just that we accelerate things exponantially, so that flora and fauna can't adjust itself to these rising temperatures.
I don't know if you've ever been to Asia, but imho there lies the real problem. Getting a plastic bag for basically everything (small or big) you buy, taking the motorbike for every little errand and old, polluting cars.
And, of course, the big global warming denying idiot Trump.
I just feel like we can't do much about it here in Europe while there are extremely polluting countries like the ones in Asia (and probably also Africa), on which you can't really blame them, since they are generally poorer than us to do something about it.

Honestly I'm loving this kind of weather. Give me 30 degrees over any cold or rainy day, but I do understand the consequences this has for the environment, the farmers and water supplies. The grass here looks like I'm driving around in Spain or something. :fist:
Mr. Revealed
DjVero (31)
Crab

Postby Nepsaol » 18 Jul 2018, 10:28

The Blaster:humidex value of 47 Celsius in southern ontario was a first since records began (i guess 100-150 years ago).
its hovered between 40-45 Celsius (humidex value) for about a month for most of the day with only one significant rainfall - i guess drought conditions.

I am skeptical about the whole climate change debate but its been an unusual year for sure. It has been difficult to sleep and around 70 old people died in Montreal with temps of around 40 on the humidex.

As I have the exact opposite opinion to you about the climate change debate, I want to encourage you to browse through this site https://climate.nasa.gov/. Generally speaking, studies made by private actors leads to equal results. There is a correlation between carbon dioxide (which is an amazing heat conserver due to its molecular structure) and the planet's temperature. This conclusion is drawn by current measurements, combined with historical CO2 levels which can be measured with the help of geology. It's really worth some browsing imo! :)

On topic, two planes from Italy arrived today to help with the forest fires. Apparently it's not enough (no shit :D) and the government has requested more help from EU.
Nepsaol (27)
State Senior Citizen

Postby ceero » 18 Jul 2018, 10:50

DjVero:
ceero:Well, welcome to global warming. If you want to do something about it, please vote for politicians who do not deny basic science and general scientific consensus about it (especially our US friends)

Global warming has always existed. It's just that we accelerate things exponantially, so that flora and fauna can't adjust itself to these rising temperatures.
I don't know if you've ever been to Asia, but imho there lies the real problem. Getting a plastic bag for basically everything (small or big) you buy, taking the motorbike for every little errand and old, polluting cars.
And, of course, the big global warming denying idiot Trump.
I just feel like we can't do much about it here in Europe while there are extremely polluting countries like the ones in Asia (and probably also Africa), on which you can't really blame them, since they are generally poorer than us to do something about it.

Honestly I'm loving this kind of weather. Give me 30 degrees over any cold or rainy day, but I do understand the consequences this has for the environment, the farmers and water supplies. The grass here looks like I'm driving around in Spain or something. :fist:

i have, i lived in Sri Lanka for a few months in 2014. The way how they treat environment is terrible indeed, i have never seen such a polluted sea in my life, they live from tourism, yet its kinda difficult to find a beach where you dont keep bumping into plastic bags while swimming. They really dont seem to be bothered by it, you go and get some usual food from the street, they just dump it into a plastic bag . want a sauce for your Kottu? They dump the sauce into another plastic bag and tie it. And put it together with the food in the first plastic bag into a new, bigger plastic bag. And than toss it somewhere on the sidewalk once finished eating.

When it comes to the plastics consumption, by far the worst thing i have ever seen was in the US though. In europe, i go to a grocery store, i have to pay for a bag, usualy a paper one, but most of people are used to carry reusable textile bags. In the states, you go to Wallmart, you shop for 10 items, they are going to put them into 5-6 separate plastic bags, while you could easily fit them in one. They dont even ask, they just put it right there, charge nothing for the bags and god forbid you are buying something heavier than 0.5kg, they are going to put it in a separate bag and double it, because using one bag for the single item is probably too eco friendly. I couldnt believe my eyes at first, really. Dont get me wrong, i love that country, but they really have a lot to learn from europe in this sense.

would lie if i said im not enjoying this summer, if it was up to me, there would be 35 degrees 365 days a year, seriously :+ but i understand the bigger frame here
Last edited by ceero on 18 Jul 2018, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
ceero (27)
State Retired Person

Postby Faber93 » 18 Jul 2018, 12:49

Here in north-western Italy, since now, I did not suffer that heat we use to had during the past two years, maybe it is only an impression. But the bizarre thing imo is that sort of monsonic climate we are experimenting. This spring rained almost daily, and this summer we had a lot of days in wich suddenly starts to rain heavilly for something like 1 or 2 hours
Faber93 (26)
State Native

Postby Reverse Ghost » 18 Jul 2018, 13:16

@ceero funny thing is that people are bitching and moaning in my state that Starbucks is doing away with plastic straws and some towns are banning or taxing plastic bags. It's ridiculous and I usually ask for no bag if I'm just getting a few things, or go to self checkout and use maybe one or two bags packed full. That being said, apparently the environmental impact to create reusable bags takes longer to be realized than regular plastic bags along with people being too lazy to carry a few bags in the store with them isn't helping.
The people of my country are so entitled to their own benefit but not to the benefit of others. That's how people like Trump exist and deny modern science because "ew new stuff".
This summer hasn't been too bad in NJ either, last year had more heat waves and I recall one summer a few years ago having constant heat waves. Riding my bike felt like riding into a giant hair drier, it was miserable.
The storms we get are much more severe, though. Yesterday a storm woke me up in my sleep. From the heavy rain and thunder, before that last week we had severe rains and winds leading to flash floods and downed trees. Before that we had a confirmed small tornado in another town and a waterspout tornado off the shore recently as well. I'm surprised we haven't had a derecho this year yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if another hurricane came around here in September.
Reverse Ghost (26)
State Legend

Postby Nepsaol » 18 Jul 2018, 13:44

Reverse Ghost:@ceero funny thing is that people are bitching and moaning in my state that Starbucks is doing away with plastic straws and some towns are banning or taxing plastic bags. It's ridiculous and I usually ask for no bag if I'm just getting a few things, or go to self checkout and use maybe one or two bags packed full. That being said, apparently the environmental impact to create reusable bags takes longer to be realized than regular plastic bags along with people being too lazy to carry a few bags in the store with them isn't helping.
The people of my country are so entitled to their own benefit but not to the benefit of others. That's how people like Trump exist and deny modern science because "ew new stuff".
This summer hasn't been too bad in NJ either, last year had more heat waves and I recall one summer a few years ago having constant heat waves. Riding my bike felt like riding into a giant hair drier, it was miserable.
The storms we get are much more severe, though. Yesterday a storm woke me up in my sleep. From the heavy rain and thunder, before that last week we had severe rains and winds leading to flash floods and downed trees. Before that we had a confirmed small tornado in another town and a waterspout tornado off the shore recently as well. I'm surprised we haven't had a derecho this year yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if another hurricane came around here in September.

It's a very tough transition to make regarding the plastic bags. For example, we leave a larger enviromental wound by producing a textile bag compared to a plastic bag. In order for the reusable products to breakthrough, a majority of the countries need to take this step together. Yes, it will be a tougher for the enviroment short-term. But the time for short-term worries are gone, long-term is the only way to go forward and get things straight again. But yes, I'm horrified by all the talk without action. And it sucks so hard that the one of the most powerful countries has a president and crew who denies it..
Nepsaol (27)
State Senior Citizen

Postby RPGWiZaRD » 18 Jul 2018, 18:34

Today it was like 33C at my place, damn, don't remember ever having this hot. 33.7C was officially reported in a nearby town of mine as the current record for this summer in Finland.

I start miss those normal ~20C temperatures now ;D Actually I checked last years temperatures, same day last year it was 16C, the following day only 12C ahaha, yea I remember it was longer period of 12 - 16C last "summer" here (if you can call that summer :p)

I think that's the biggest change regarding climate change, we see more "extreme" weather conditions, it's not as stable, it's like either warm or cold. Our winter was also unusually long compared to the last few winters (snowbed covering ground from roughly early December -> middle April, well in north Finland it was snow more like to June or so but that's normal for the northernmost part of Finland) .
Last edited by RPGWiZaRD on 18 Jul 2018, 18:43, edited 3 times in total.
RPGWiZaRD (32)
State Celebrity

Postby John Cove » 18 Jul 2018, 18:37

ceero:In the states, you go to Wallmart, you shop for 10 items, they are going to put them into 5-6 separate plastic bags, while you could easily fit them in one. They dont even ask, they just put it right there, charge nothing for the bags and god forbid you are buying something heavier than 0.5kg, they are going to put it in a separate bag and double it, because using one bag for the single item is probably too eco friendly. I couldnt believe my eyes at first, really. Dont get me wrong, i love that country, but they really have a lot to learn from europe in this sense.

I experienced that, too. I don't get why they do that though?!
John Cove (31)
Crab

Postby Reverse Ghost » 19 Jul 2018, 03:51

John Cove:
ceero:In the states, you go to Wallmart, you shop for 10 items, they are going to put them into 5-6 separate plastic bags, while you could easily fit them in one. They dont even ask, they just put it right there, charge nothing for the bags and god forbid you are buying something heavier than 0.5kg, they are going to put it in a separate bag and double it, because using one bag for the single item is probably too eco friendly. I couldnt believe my eyes at first, really. Dont get me wrong, i love that country, but they really have a lot to learn from europe in this sense.

I experienced that, too. I don't get why they do that though?!

People will complain about their bags tearing and workers are trained to put things in bag by category I guess. Like god forbid they put a gallon of milk on top of a couple of shirts to save two bags but they put the milk in a lone bag and double it.
Remember that we're a country built on excess! Chrysler has a damn 5.7 liter V8 that doesn't even surpass 400 HP meanwhile the 3.3 V6 used in the Stinger with two turbos makes 20 more horsepower and only 20 less torque. :rofl:
tl;dr The US is still caught in the mindset of "No replacement for displacement" in general. Bigger is better, guys :+
Reverse Ghost (26)
State Legend

Postby Nepsaol » 23 Jul 2018, 14:16

44 fire trucks with a staff of 139 men/women from Poland arrived last week to help out with extinguishing 80+ fires. Thank you polish tax payers, we owe you :)

It's beautiful to see what we can accomplish together even though we have different culture, language or religion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v23QzzSaz1Y
Nepsaol (27)
State Senior Citizen

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles