Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Career in Sound or Light/Stage Design?

Postby Reverse Ghost » 11 Nov 2012, 07:17

Hey all, I'm in college for IT-related shit, but I'm on the fence of switching majors to something related to Light or Sound Design. Anyone experience in any of those fields, is it worth going into, even for a Liberal Art? Is there a demand or market for jobs, what's the pay, and how hard is it to find a job? Even if it's organizing small stages that pale in comparison to Qlimax?
Reverse Ghost (25)
State Legend

Postby Jonas » 11 Nov 2012, 12:19

I'm interested in this too, have to choose in a couple of years, and I've been thinking of this..
Are you able to get jobs and money by doing that? Even make a living?
I'm just here for the music, man
Jonas (22)
State Hero

Postby Reverse Ghost » 11 Nov 2012, 21:37

I'd love if people could answer us because Google is too vaguew :naughty:
Reverse Ghost (25)
State Legend

Postby DJ Night Raver » 12 Nov 2012, 09:51

Theater is a nice place to start you learn alot of things about lighting and sound working in a Theater.

i personally am a lighting designer for a company that hosts EDM Events called NR&T working with lighting is alot of fun but it can be stressful at times
Xone Events
DJ Night Raver (23)
State Citizen

Postby Cardioid » 13 Nov 2012, 11:32

Hi! I think you might want to check the courses from the SAE Institute out. I'm currently doing the course of audio engineering in Amsterdam, and it's a really good course. So i'd say; Google that! Cheers mate!
Cardioid (30)
State Native

Postby Semplice » 13 Nov 2012, 17:23

It's hard to find a job related to Sound Design or Audio Engineering in the Netherlands. I don't know how it is in other country's, but here it's all about having your sources.
Semplice (27)
Producer

Postby VOL-E » 13 Nov 2012, 18:58

Workin with Lights on ship here in Estonia :) You sure can live if you are good at it, neither light or sound doesn't matter...
But what you want? Well it's your choice. I'm sure you can live with this, but really it's better not to go to some school of this or something else... what will you study there? You just need a lot of practice! IMO.

Theater is a nice place to start you learn alot of things about lighting and sound working in a Theater.

Fully agree! Cuz you don't need to make big "show" for the lightning console :D But in Theater you will learn how the lights should be done, and how to do it better and better :)

And you should remember that all lightning consoles are the same, you just need to learn main things, if you are really interested in light, than you should learn "Martin Lightjockey" :) It's the goddess for light! :fist: And it's totally free
i see you with my x-ray
VOL-E (30)
Crab

Postby Jonas » 13 Nov 2012, 19:21

Well my thoughts was not the lights part very much, but if you would be able to make a living out of making music for stuff like radios, movies and all that kind of stuff before trying it. I guess there must be someone doing musical work just like some are doing graphical work, where people call them and ask them to do stuff for them?
I'm just here for the music, man
Jonas (22)
State Hero

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles