Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Hardcore Kick Topic (Give feedback before posting yours)

Sound design and production in general

Postby Kupari » 08 Aug 2013, 01:07

Aftershoq your link is broken so I can't rate.

Just made this kick tonight in two or so hours. I've produced hardstyle kicks before so I've tried to apply this to hardcore too. It's my first ever hardcore kick so any advice would be much appreciated :)

Kupari
State Newcomer

Postby Dj Reaper » 08 Aug 2013, 11:57

@Kupari: for your first kick it isn´t bad, really :) The punch is ok but the tail could need some more distortion. I make both Hardstyle and Hardcore and the main difference is in Hardcore you use more distortion, you can be more aggressive. When in Hardstyle you must always EQ und than gently overdrive to keep the warmth and so in Hardcore you can really EQ some notches and distort them heavily (but of course not like Fx kicks). ASnd take care also of the high frequencies. Most modern Hardcore kicks are very crispy and IMO the bass gives the kick power but the heights are which give the kick aggression and presence. Good luck with further Hardcore productions but I see you´ll soon make good kicks :p
Dj Reaper
State Native

Postby Kupari » 13 Aug 2013, 20:20

Hey Reaper, I took your advice and tweaked my kick more. I've also lowered the BPM and changed the key to F and it's sounding a lot more evil. Let me know what you think :)

Kupari
State Newcomer

Postby Dj Reaper » 13 Aug 2013, 20:46

I think it improved however it still needs more work :) Maybe just try to put an EQ at the end and pull the highest band up a bit, so it gets more crispy? just an idea, try it yourself..and in this snippet I noticed that the punch is not very present.That´s maybe a bit more difficult to adjust, but what I usually do is quite at the beginning of the fx chain I put an EQ in which I try to find the frewuency where the punch lays and than boost that and distort it, so you have a stronger hitting punch..but well just try everything yourself, it is a lot of experimentation.
The kick itself really has a good..hmm...sound? I like the shape and so, but just it doesn´t go trough the mix, it is muffled, but I think you will soon be alble to make it better :)
Dj Reaper
State Native

Postby Kupari » 14 Aug 2013, 12:46

Dj Reaper:I think it improved however it still needs more work :) Maybe just try to put an EQ at the end and pull the highest band up a bit, so it gets more crispy? just an idea, try it yourself..and in this snippet I noticed that the punch is not very present.That´s maybe a bit more difficult to adjust, but what I usually do is quite at the beginning of the fx chain I put an EQ in which I try to find the frewuency where the punch lays and than boost that and distort it, so you have a stronger hitting punch..but well just try everything yourself, it is a lot of experimentation.
The kick itself really has a good..hmm...sound? I like the shape and so, but just it doesn´t go trough the mix, it is muffled, but I think you will soon be alble to make it better :)

Yeah, I haven't really put a lot of work into the mix just yet, working on that soon :)
Kupari
State Newcomer

Postby Dj Reaper » 18 Aug 2013, 17:49

No new kicks so far so I don´t think I have to give any feedback ;)

New kick I am working on:

Dj Reaper
State Native

Postby Aftershoq » 18 Aug 2013, 18:34

Pretty nice kick. Not in my studio so very hard to judge properly. ;)

Facebook Soundcloud
Gear: Macbook pro 13", Thunderbolt Display 27", Focusrite Saffire USB 6, Novation Impulse 49, Genelec 8040A's,Cubase 7,Logic pro 9

Aftershoq (28)
State Native

Postby NEKA » 21 Aug 2013, 00:36

@Kupari, your kick sounds nice but for me, this is the part where I would give the last distortion. It's hard to explain, but with right settings and amount of distortion, you give that hardcore soul to it.

@Reaper, haha I love the track design! The kick is not bad, but it lacks a lot of bass which gives it the overall "structure", and the high frequencies are too crisp.

@Aftershoq, it's not bad but I dunno...weak? It sounds good but the kick sounds really separate and it misses DA POWER.
NEKA (24)
Producer

Postby Aftershoq » 21 Aug 2013, 00:54

Thnx for your reply, but what do you mean with seperate? It's one layer. (No added punch or so) :)
Facebook Soundcloud
Gear: Macbook pro 13", Thunderbolt Display 27", Focusrite Saffire USB 6, Novation Impulse 49, Genelec 8040A's,Cubase 7,Logic pro 9

Aftershoq (28)
State Native

Postby Dj Reaper » 09 Sep 2013, 22:08

@aftershoq: I don´t know if you deleted the kick or if my internet makes problems, in the second case I will give feedback tomorrow.

My kick:
https://soundcloud.com/djreaper-2/hardcore-kick

(I know, poor mixdown and quite..)
Dj Reaper
State Native

Postby spac3core » 16 Sep 2013, 04:44

I'm quite new to hardcore, but I'll give my opinion.
@Dj Reaper Sounds pretty good, but I felt like the tail was a little quiet.

This is one of my first hardcore kicks, so feedback would be awesome. :D
spac3core (22)
State Newcomer

Postby R3cl41m3r » 01 Oct 2013, 08:07

@spac3core: For a first kick, that actually sounds pretty good. :)

I decided to go with a simpler approach this time. I really like how this turned out.

The metallic effect thingy is not part of the kick, it's part of the Zippyshare preview.
"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true."
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
R3cl41m3r (24)
State Celebrity

Location: Australia (au) The place where everything can kill you.

Postby M Unic » 14 Oct 2013, 19:28

R3cl41m3r:@spac3core: For a first kick, that actually sounds pretty good. :)

I decided to go with a simpler approach this time. I really like how this turned out.

The metallic effect thingy is not part of the kick, it's part of the Zippyshare preview.

Sounds really nice man.
makes me think of some older tracks
keep it up! :fist:

I made something totally diffrent this time
its a frenchcore kick. This is my 6th attempt at one. I'm pretty pleased with it :)
in succession from the past to the present.. and on to the future!
M Unic (26)
State Citizen

Postby Cyberwaste » 05 Feb 2014, 10:11

Mainstream Hardcore Kick.
first half - fat dist...
second half - low dist...
it is very simple.
advise you to download for understanding
sorry for bad english

http://promodj.com/cyberwaste/videos/46 ... rwaste_v_2

http://promodj.com/cyberwaste/videos/37 ... i_v_Legion
Cyberwaste
Producer

Postby Dj Reaper » 07 Feb 2014, 01:46

@Cyberwaste: first one sounds a bit metallic and the distortion and the distorted tail doesn´t sound glued to the punch, however not bad. The second one is nice :)

Got this when applying a waveshaper on a hardstyle kick:

I don´t know why but when I want kicks with long brutal distortion they mostly lack bass and when I try adding bass the "grrr" gets lost and becomes "hmm"..I tried layering but that always sounds strange when I try to do it. If there was just another way of getting subbass and aggressive tail..
Dj Reaper
State Native

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles