Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Hardstyle's firsts

Postby Gommes_ » 22 Jun 2018, 20:41

icey:What was the very first “rawstyle/raw hardstyle” track?

Yeah this is really hard to answer, since the specific features for "raw" are not clear. Back in the days, Donkey Rollers and Southstylers were harder than others but I wouldn't call it raw. I wouldn't even call Zatox' track Raw Style "raw" so...
Most raw tracks now are above 150bpm but even Ran-D recently released tracks which are locked at 150bpm. While I mostly "feel" whats raw or has raw elements in it, it's really hard to pinpoint this down to one specific track.

For the euphoric track, "Gold" by Max Enforcer came out in 2010.
Edit: The Pitcher - I Just Can't Stop was in 2009 if you count that as euphoric.
I hear home in that bass
Gommes_ (33)
State Native

Postby icey » 22 Jun 2018, 21:46

In my mind Zatox created the rawstyle genre even if he didn’t set out too. The vintage e.p in 2009 was it, the track “Hate” in the release was probably the most “raw” out of the 4 included on the ep.
This style was nothing like the Delete & Vazard/spoontech style which came a little later though.

People I know say I play rawstyle because I play some tracks off spoontech but it was never really branded as raw early on? I see now it is for the most part, the genre has evolved since the time around the vintage e.p and tracks are up to 155bpm now I’ve noticed! I like more than I ever did but personally for me, it’s not rawstyle although I see it’s generally accepted as just that.

Hardstyle has played second fiddle to other genres for me in the last couple of years so interesting to see how the genre has evolved in that short space of time :)
icey (31)
State Hero

Postby Emre » 22 Jun 2018, 21:51

About Zatox/Vintage EP/continuing on the Italian subject - albeit a bit later, The R3bels also produced really heavy tracks for that time. Straight To Da Beat/Pattern 1 etc.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby icey » 22 Jun 2018, 22:04

I Remember getting that e.p on vinyl (still got it). He definetly influenced the scene in a way as there were a huge amount of tracks all in that very style. Reversed bass died out (from the bigger artists) and the “raw” kicks were in.

That’s how I saw it anyway.
icey (31)
State Hero

Postby Alex149 » 23 Jun 2018, 00:49

icey:In my mind Zatox created the rawstyle genre even if he didn’t set out too. The vintage e.p in 2009 was it, the track “Hate” in the release was probably the most “raw” out of the 4 included on the ep.
This style was nothing like the Delete & Vazard/spoontech style which came a little later though.

People I know say I play rawstyle because I play some tracks off spoontech but it was never really branded as raw early on? I see now it is for the most part, the genre has evolved since the time around the vintage e.p and tracks are up to 155bpm now I’ve noticed! I like more than I ever did but personally for me, it’s not rawstyle although I see it’s generally accepted as just that.

Hardstyle has played second fiddle to other genres for me in the last couple of years so interesting to see how the genre has evolved in that short space of time :)

He didnt create the direction, but he made a track called "Raw Style" which kind of made everyone refer to that name as it had a rougher sound to it. :)
Alex149
Producer

Postby ffos » 23 Jun 2018, 08:40

It hard to tell who was first, as it was not intented to be raw tracks in the first place. Just these producers had their style and sounds. For me the track that defines today raw, and was a starting point for most raw producers these days was The Record Breaking.
ffos
State Senior Citizen

Postby hostage » 23 Jun 2018, 09:15

Rawstyle is a term that became used because of Zatox' track, however the track was not what you can define as raw nowadays. I remember that people were struggling to call this subgenre "raw style" or "darkstyle" at the beginning because the origin of the sounds is the darker atmospheres, not necessarily the raw sounds. F.e. "Quarantine" by B-Front and Bass Modulators was considered rawstyle at that time, while the track is just nustyle with a darker atmosphere.

The first labels that emerged the sound were Fusion with Donkey Rollers and Southstylers (2003-2005) and in a slightly less measure, Seismic (2003-2006). Years after, A2 Records popularized the term and made it a subgenre on its own with Alpha Twins, B-Front, Ran-D, 2-Sidez (2008). Their liveset at Qountdown 2008 was the first ever where people began to talk about "rawstyle/darkstyle":
https://lsdb.nl/set/8643/alpha-pres-ran ... 9-31-12-08

Only after that, producers that were making rawstyle popped up, raw style events appeared, raw subbranches of labels were created. So there is no first track ever in rawstyle, because the sound has its origins at a certain period and at an other period, the word "rawstyle" appeared due to the sound getting more known.
hostage (28)
State Celebrity

Postby Vicious » 23 Jun 2018, 11:48

Deepack- Down Low is one of the first hardstyle tracks that had a long singing vocal break and Kick this Mutha with Luna is a track I would classify as 'Early raw'
Vicious
State Hero

Postby ceero » 25 Jun 2018, 08:54

I think there is no point in trying to find the first raw track back in 2003-4 ish era, because raw for a big part simply started to reuse simillar elements the early hardstyle was based on (screeches mainly) and tried to play on a simillar vibe/energy levels. There is absolutely 0% rawstyle on the old Deepack or Donkey Rollers tunes, seriously. There even was way harder hardstyle in 2003 than Deepack or DR, but you couldnt just call Lorenzo De Preti or Ultrasonic 'early raw' just because it's superhard, that's what early hardstyle was all about, you had tons of aggressive hardstyle with stabbing screeches before the 2006/7ish nu-style revoltion. What raw did was returning the hardness into the genre after a cca 3 years period of being very soft and almost exclusively melody/breakdown oriented (yes, you still have that now, but in 2008 you had no alternative). Nah, if you want to find the origins of raw, you need to differentiate between an actual early raw and being simply hard. Vintage is no way raw, mainpart is a classic nu-style stuff and intro/outro is just a good oldskool early (see what i wrote earlier), would agree about I Hate You tune though. But you could still go earlier.

When it comes to modern raw, i would totally say it was Crypsis who came up with it. I still vividly remember how groundbreaking tunes like Highest Pressure, Get Hit, Tuatara etc were when they came out in the times when tunes like The Pitcher - Serenity or DBSTF - Kingdom were a standard. There was absolutely nothing that sounded simillar to that back than and you had all of it, rawstylish vocals, proto-raw kicks, raw melodies, the atmosphere... Even Zatox used to make pretty hard melodic nu-style in those times, but his tracks from that era were not raw oriented at all, melodic as fuck with a bit of an early flavor (especially intro/outros). It was widely debated everywhere on the online boards that this unknown polish dude just basically created a brand new hardstyle subgenre when the first Statement EP came out.
I wouldnt say Crypsis was necessarily the one who made raw popular, that probably would indeed be Zatox (well, at least he undeniably establish the term rawstyle), together with Fusion crew, which was basically the second biggest label next to Scantraxx back than. And when Alpha Twins created their label, it went down pretty quick.

I think this was the very first tune you could rightfully call early raw, pretty much a Crypsis & Angerfist collab. Was played from early 2008

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Postby Reverse Ghost » 25 Jun 2018, 09:34

I couldn't call Donkey Rollers even now Raw Hardstyle. It's donkeystyle :+ a great sound only men like Pollen could be responsible for.
The first Hardstyle track I can think of that used a Hardcore type kick was the original (unreleased) version of Feel So Good by Abject with the buzzy type kick used throughout the climax before The Prophet approved on the actual "original mix". Obv now there are some Raw tracks that blatantly use modified Hardcore kicks.
Reverse Ghost (25)
State Legend

Postby ceero » 25 Jun 2018, 09:41

Also this, not really hardstyle but generally considered to be the first reverse bass [1998]

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Postby icey » 25 Jun 2018, 10:20

Ceero good post on the early-raw discussion. I remember reading a lot of people trying to define the Crypsis sound back then. Core-style was one that pops in my head straight away. Got all those MIM records too, Lellebel.ep was another good record
icey (31)
State Hero

Postby Gommes_ » 25 Jun 2018, 16:02

As I mentioned before, finding elements which define raw when they occure alone is kinda hard and ceero is right when saying that "raw" just brought back the hardness into our scene. Especially when hardstyle was bowing down to the edm scene and made everything soft.

Regarding the hardcore kicks in hardstyle tracks, Stampuhh from 2005 had a hardcore kick in the second climax (which I absolutely adore ;)) and Cocaine MF by Duro pretty much in the whole track. In fact, many early Duro/Showtek tracks had hardcore kicks in it and they were experimenting with many different kicks in one production. This can be seen in particular in DJ Duro - Just Begun (Showtek Remix). The way how the kick is being changed throughout the song is something I see a lot today with Gearbox artists e.g. And this was in 2003.

Starting @04:25

I hear home in that bass
Gommes_ (33)
State Native

Postby The Convicted » 28 Jul 2018, 19:37

Which was the first track with an "anticlimax"? I dare to say Fusion Of Sound.
The Convicted (23)
Global Mod

Postby ThePrincipal » 30 Jul 2018, 01:25

I would think that's correct :) 2007 style for days <3
The Principal - Hardstyle DJ/Producer from Australia

Facebook: @theprincipalofficial
Soundcloud: @theprincipalaus
ThePrincipal
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles