Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

General Opinion vs. Hardstyle

Postby Double-T » 12 Apr 2011, 16:17

Hello guys, the spammer strikes again.
I've decided to start this topic because of something i saw on TV pretty recently.
Two stupid speakers were showing a video of some people doing a random jumpstyle session with hardstyle in the background [2 Best Enemies - Phases (TBY R. Mix)]. During the video the speakers were laughing at them, saying that they are experimenting a new diet technique and this was their daily sport. Also, they were saying that this music comes from Nothern France or Belgium.

So here is the question (Please give a maximum of details in your answer as this might be the topic of my next english paper), why are people reluctant when it comes to Hardstyle and EDM in general, what's the situation in your country ?

I know the Netherlands are pretty open-minded about EDM since a lot of styles where born there and there is a good ammount of people who likes it. Here it's not the same at all, at least not in France where I live.
In another report broadcasted like 2 or 3 years ago on a national TV channel (viewed by millions of people), there were interviewing guys who go often to the Netherlands and attending to Hard-Style/Core festivals (Could recognize the MOH design of 2008 or 2007 (can't exaclty remember) whatever) and showing them wear Londsdale/Amok shirts etc. After that, the journalist didn't hesitate to say that these brands and this music was closely related to racism and even neo-nazism. I mean WHAT THE HELL ?!

This is seriously disgusting. What makes me laugh is people who say that they are tolerant, but when you bring them close to any kind of EDM, they loose even the tiniest form of tolerence.
Basic exemple : I'm the only guy in my group of friends that listens to Hardstyle and EDM in general, and when I play it in my car or when I just send them a YouTube clip, they are like " Bah this is not even music " (Not to mention they take the first thing they are close to, and bang it on the floor saying " See, I can do it too ! " RRRRrrr. Where is tolerance when I'm following them every single week in nighclubs that play crappy-even-more-then-mainstream-david-guetta-style-wanna-be-house music and they don't even consider thinking about a possible trip to Decibel. Being considered as a freak all the time doesn't please me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current situation of Hardstyle being kind of " underground " and not as popular as fucking Britney but I would just like my friends to like it :p

Eventually, after this endless speech that some of you may have read until the end (congratz ;) ), feel free to comment as any opinion is accepted.

P.S. This was my little rebellion, I'm not a freak.
P.S.S. This was inspired by a discussion in the French section of this forum, some ideas have been taken from replies by other members of this forum (X-Pander, Vioda, Hostage, Sharez, Underdrive, Skeero), big thanks to them.

EDIT : Excuse grammar, vocabulary and spelling. I'm not that familiar with writing so long speeches.
EDIT 2 : This is my 3.666th post - THE EVIL IZ INZIDE OF MEH !
Last edited by Double-T on 12 Apr 2011, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
I felt it before I heard it.
The heartbeat of a place I knew I belonged.
Double-T (26)
Baguette Baguette!

Postby D-Verze » 12 Apr 2011, 16:46

Okay, well, lets react to a few things then.

It's true that EDM is probably the most accepted in the Netherlands, especially softer EDM-genres are totally accepted, but the entire harddancescene isn't accepted or something. It's like you said, people often link these genres to racism, drugs and things like that. After every edition of Defqon or Qlimax or whatever, you can find a little article in the newspapers about how many people where arrested for having drugs with them or using drugs, whereas they mostly arrest less then 50 people on for instance 40.000 partypeople at Defqon.

Moreover, these comments like "hardstyle isn't worth being called music" and stuff like that aren't strange here either. Few months ago I had a discussion with someone who told me that music was made with instruments and not with computers, with which he was referring to dancemusic as well. Ofcourse this argument is completely irrelevant and I won the discussion, but a lot of people think like this. I guess it's just that most people don't know, say things without actually thinking about what they're saying. Most people agree with you after a proper conversation as well.

I also think you can't really blame these people for thinking like this. I'm quite open minded myself, but thoughts like these used to cross my mind as well, when people talked about metal or something. Now I've got a few friends playing metal, and I've learned to totally respect it, even though the music isn't my taste.

So, conclusion: most people just don't know and say what everybody else says, because it seems really logical at first. But when you make them think about what they said, most people will change their opinion and mostly show respect for it. Of course, there are exceptions, but there will always be exceptions. It's best to leave this people for what they are and don't waste any energy on them :)
Connect with D-Verze
Image Image Image Image
D-Verze (25)
Producer

Postby SCH » 12 Apr 2011, 17:02

No it's not accepted by the majority of people in Sweden and it will never be since the music is too fast, too agressive and unless you separate hardstyle from the other harder genres will it never have any chance of hitting as big as Boten Anna did. Doesn't matter how cheesy you amke it, as long as it 's a part of the the harder styles it will be hated and I want it like that.
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (27)
Producer

Postby Vioda » 12 Apr 2011, 17:06

Double-T, we are totally ok about that _O_
Vioda (34)
Producer

Postby RapingPaper » 12 Apr 2011, 17:07

momze:I like turtles

:facepalm:

anyway, i get what you mean.

family
Show spoiler
not the best example i can bring, but, i remember showing hardstyle to my grandparents some years ago, like i also did with metalcore, and several other genres. they just went "behh, thats just bum bum bum"
therefor my mother, i was playing some hardcore tracks (i think it was somewhere down the lane), she said "gah, can you put in something else? thats just bum bum bum", so i gave in some hardstyle track, and she liked it.. she's more opened when it comes to those genres..

i think what the most people dont "like" about hardstyle is the bass. the first thing you notice when you dont listen to hardstyle IS the bass, imo. you just notice that its a fast bam bam bam, you dont realize that there's other things in there too. thats why you often hear stuff like "meh, its always the same".
ofc, when i tell ppl that the current electro-house is ALWAYS THE SAME or that handsup is (imo) always the same, they go "DUUH HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT"

friends of mine
Show spoiler
ive got a friend who's only in old heavy metal/rock/whatever.. when i first showed him hardstyle, guess what happened.. but i just played it more often, and now he tolerates it.. i tell him about the festivals, show him aftermovies, and yeh.. he's ok with it, even tho i dont think he would actually listen to it if i wouldnt show him.

another friend of mine listenes to metal. like, ONLY to metal. but i showed him hardstyle and he's LOVING it.. first thing when i go into his car is, putting hardstyle on..

londsdale
Show spoiler
in austria usually, people who wear londsdale stuff ARE nazi's, if they arent hardcore fanatics.. i think thats why some people ALWAYS refer to rasicm when they see a londsdale logo.. dunno how it is in other countries tho..

well yeh, i'm brabbling pretty much around everything rofl, but i hope you get the idea..
i always try to show ppl the music i listen to, most of them are okay with it, but some just dont want to listen to it neither..

one more note, i hate when somebody goes after stereotypes.. we had alot of guys called "krocha" here some years ago.. neon-pink caps, socks over pants, always hearing music at the speakers of their phones, publicly.. and eventually some of them also listened to hardstyle. so the first thing somebody said when i listened to hardstyle was "whaa, are you becoming a krocha now or what?".. -__-
RapingPaper (26)
State Celebrity

Postby SCH » 12 Apr 2011, 17:13

@RapingPaper: If you show someone a track like From Within (TO take an extreme example here) and starting at the break there's a bigger chance of anyone liking it then starting with the midpart of Hardstyle Truck since there's a way bigger acceptance for melodies but sometimes people are just fucktards and you can't change that.
I'm grumpier than you.

SCH (27)
Producer

Postby RapingPaper » 12 Apr 2011, 17:21

SCH:@RapingPaper: If you show someone a track like From Within (TO take an extreme example here) and starting at the break there's a bigger chance of anyone liking it then starting with the midpart of Hardstyle Truck since there's a way bigger acceptance for melodies but sometimes people are just fucktards and you can't change that.

lol what i recognized is that the most ppl i showed hardstyle LOVED psyko punkz.. so much for, its always the same :+
RapingPaper (26)
State Celebrity

Postby Gino » 12 Apr 2011, 17:29

i just quit talking about music with my friends here ;) i do have some mates who like the harder styles, but they are not really in the scene tho.
that's why i fucking love to go to parties in holland and meet people who loves the music as much as i do :fist:

oh and i don't care about friends complaining about hardstyle. i'm always like "uhm yes, you're right, it's not music and now GTFO". ;)
Pioneer of a new movement
Gino (26)
State Celebrity

Postby SCH » 12 Apr 2011, 17:34

RapingPaper:
SCH:@RapingPaper: If you show someone a track like From Within (TO take an extreme example here) and starting at the break there's a bigger chance of anyone liking it then starting with the midpart of Hardstyle Truck since there's a way bigger acceptance for melodies but sometimes people are just fucktards and you can't change that.

lol what i recognized is that the most ppl i showed hardstyle LOVED psyko punkz.. so much for, its always the same :+

Haven't heard a single Pzyko Punks track so I dunno how they sound, I jsut took a very soft vs a very hard example :P
I'm grumpier than you.

SCH (27)
Producer

Postby Double-T » 12 Apr 2011, 17:41

Gino:that's why i fucking love to go to parties in holland and meet people who loves the music as much as i do :fist:

(L)
I felt it before I heard it.
The heartbeat of a place I knew I belonged.
Double-T (26)
Baguette Baguette!

Postby DJen » 12 Apr 2011, 17:44

in malaysia, people always associate drugs with EDM. i feel you brah. malaysian teens are epic trend followers, they started listening to dubstep because of britney new nude dancy track had a dubstep remix, i was like 'wtf?' :? they can't even differentiate what's dnb and dubstep.

i would like to move to UK. i love dnb and dubstep a lot, a big fan of it. UKF _O_ i still love hardstyle, not all of them. only the hard ones.
@SCH: i understand why you don't listen to psyko punkz. they are at least 95% of nc. /fail
DJen (26)
Producer

Postby FXS » 12 Apr 2011, 18:03

RapingPaper:

haha same story about my friends... many of those who don't listen hardstyle just liked/loved BassBoom... dunno why... maybe because of the lyrics, which made them focus more on the track itself and not on the "boom boom boom"
FXS (28)
State Tourist

Postby ceero » 12 Apr 2011, 18:07

Honestly, i don't give a shit. Having my music insulted by people who listen to radio music makes me laugh. You insult something about what you don't know absolutely anything ? Congratulations, you are a dickhead - and there it ends for me.
If someone, who is actually listening to the music says he doesn't like it, i'm perfectly fine with it, had a great discussion about music with my mate who plays bass in a rock band this weekend. He said he doesn't like hardstyle because he is searching for other elements in music than hardstyle has, okay, i understand that this isn't music for everyone so we talked about other music.

Oh, and ignore the mass media. They have never seen a real nazi in their entire lifes and yet write about them every day and see them everywhere, because it's a popular / atractive topic for potential readers / viewers.

About people around me, well .. Most of my friends who listen to EDM are fine with hardstyle and eventually ask me for some tracks, those who arent are okay with it too, don't really have anyone bitching about it not being music etc. Oh and my mom for example liked early / heavy reverse basslines (if not played way too loud, than everything is annoying) and dislikes nu-style a lot, because of pitching basslines and kicks merging into just a wall of bass.

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Postby Gino » 12 Apr 2011, 18:13

ceero:Oh and my mom for example liked early / heavy reverse basslines (if not played way too loud, than everything is annoying) and dislikes nu-style a lot, because of pitching basslines and kicks merging into just a wall of bass.

_O_ :lol:
Pioneer of a new movement
Gino (26)
State Celebrity

Postby Lop-Sided » 13 Apr 2011, 05:38

When it comes to people in America, the scene is barely even in existance (at least where I live anyway...) So whenever I mention hardstyle, nobody has a clue as to what it is...when they hear it, they consider it as some weird "techno" music and they move on with their lives. Many guys associate "techno" with "gay", and I've been made fun of so much because I listen to things like hardstyle, etc. I've been made fun of so much that I sometimes hesitate to turn on hardstyle/EDM around my friends. A few people even say that it's all the same thing. In other words, they say that techno=hardstyle=trance=handz up=jump/tek etc. Whenever I hear people say that, it's like, wow, they know absolutely nothing. There are some people who are more open to music, and are into dubstep, house, or happy hardcore or something like that. Not too many of those guys though, here...

Hardstyle and other EDM genres make me feel unique for going against the crowd. This is kind of cool too, but at the same time, it honestly makes me kind of sad because I'm the only guy I've met whom keeps up with the hardstyle scene. In other words, I'm in this alone... :(
Trance producer/Radio Show Host at 90.3FM KDVS
Check out my tuneessssss, broooooo!! http://www.soundcloud.com/sashavanlaur
Lop-Sided
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles