Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Define 'hard'

Postby icey » 04 Dec 2011, 11:35

Ok then. To some of you this is Hard right??

But surely everyone can agree that this is Harder??

Thats probably the most obvious example I can put there. If you disagree then fair enough. But imo, 'Doggystyle' is a much Harder strack than 'rawstyle'. :lol:
icey (33)
State Hero

Postby Shadow Interaction » 04 Dec 2011, 13:39

Speaker Freq:
Pithune:you can't define hard when everyone has their own taste :)

I'm not trying to find out 'the universal meaning/rules of hard for all hardstyle, forever', it's just a topic where people can post their views (without attacking other ppl's views) so readers can see things from their perspective. This was not meant to start any arguments.

In that case, i'd say

Afflictive - Breadstick (Thera Slowed It Down Mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp9Fe9t2bXU

The Dizzorder ft R-Tillary - Avalanche
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yez1P-TuT4

Revolutionz - Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WPTM_HYV0U

The reason for these is because when you pitch them up in a mix, they become really rough, almost towards hardcore :)
Cheers Theracords for releasing such stuff, also big up to Degos & Re-Done

When it comes to deep pounding kicks, i'd like to mention stuff from Spoontech Records... for example:

Vazard - Zimmersion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNZEL6J3_4

the track itself is very slow, but the kicks are very rough, coming close to the hardness of millenium hardcore :) (imo!)

when it comes to new hardstyle itself... AVIO, Alpha2, The Machine, The Beholder, Toneshifterz (dead of the night- like tracks +their wicked use of FX/sounds), Noisecontrollers, Activator (old)... :)
I wouldn't call Zatox raw, neither Ran-D... both are just current hardstyle but with a hard kick
Shadow Interaction (33)
Producer

Postby rigz » 04 Dec 2011, 14:07

icey:Ok then. To some of you this is Hard right??

Thats probably the most obvious example I can put there. If you disagree then fair enough. But imo, 'Doggystyle' is a much Harder strack than 'rawstyle'. :lol:

for me they are both hard, for different reasons. The lead of Rawstyle is pretty hard, violent & more hard thant the one from Doggystyle if you ask me, but the melody if doggystyle give a hard feeling.

About the kicks, maybe on a big sound system the gated kick will be harder thanthe dong kick, but at home, i think the zatox kick are more punchy, so more hard :)
rigz
State Senior Citizen

Postby icey » 04 Dec 2011, 14:25

rigz:
icey:Ok then. To some of you this is Hard right??

for me they are both hard, for different reasons. The lead of Rawstyle is pretty hard, violent & more hard thant the one from Doggystyle if you ask me, but the melody if doggystyle give a hard feeling.

About the kicks, maybe on a big sound system the gated kick will be harder thanthe dong kick, but at home, i think the zatox kick are more punchy, so more hard :)

Lol ok I respect that. But that is totally opposite imo. And surely on a big system is where it matters isn't it??
icey (33)
State Hero

Postby Dakpan » 04 Dec 2011, 14:32

icey:And surely on a big system is where it matters isn't it??

Ehm no.
Dakpan (29)
State Celebrity

Postby icey » 04 Dec 2011, 14:34

Dakpan:

Ehm no.

Which is the hardest track in your opinion then from the 2 samples i've put?
icey (33)
State Hero

Postby Dakpan » 04 Dec 2011, 14:40

icey:
Dakpan:

Ehm no.

Which is the hardest track in your opinion then from the 2 samples i've put?

I'm with you regarding Doggystyle and Raw Style but I disagree about your argument about the big systems. Like how many % of your listening time you spend in clubs? I rather have my tracks sound good at home/on the road and meh in clubs then vice versa.
Dakpan (29)
State Celebrity

Postby icey » 04 Dec 2011, 14:43

What I meant was you can understand the proper meaning of a hard track on big systems better thats all :)
icey (33)
State Hero

Postby Dakpan » 04 Dec 2011, 14:46

icey:What I meant was you can understand the proper meaning of a hard track on big systems better thats all :)

Ah like that. Well, you don't need club speakers to hear that Doggystyle is harder. :p
Dakpan (29)
State Celebrity

Postby icey » 04 Dec 2011, 14:59

Dakpan:
icey:What I meant was you can understand the proper meaning of a hard track on big systems better thats all :)

Ah like that. Well, you don't need club speakers to hear that Doggystyle is harder. :p

Tell that to rigz :lol:
icey (33)
State Hero

Postby rigz » 04 Dec 2011, 15:45

haha :p

i agree that gated kick have more drive, so more maybe more powerfull ( = power hard ? ), anyway, i was speaking of the lead & the kick only. For the complete track, the general atmosphere etc, doggystyle is harder indeed :)
rigz
State Senior Citizen

Postby Geck-o » 04 Dec 2011, 17:23

timdawes:while i might like big, deep, throbbing dongs with screeches, someone else might required a gated kick and screeches, while another might require a reverse bass with screeches to define it as hard.

But in all cases, screeches are needed? xD
Geck-o (31)
Producer

Postby Defiant » 04 Dec 2011, 17:32

Defiant (27)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Matt » 04 Dec 2011, 19:52

For me, Hard is a track with a gloomy atmosphere, industrial sounds & distorsion. Reverse bass and raw screeches.

/topic
Matt (26)
State Celebrity

Postby hostage » 04 Dec 2011, 21:22

hardness is all about deep sounds and basslines + eventually creepy atmospheres. It goes for any EDM genre.

but when nowadays hardstyle is trying to be hard, its all about randomness and plastic kicks/wall of bass to me.
Last edited by hostage on 04 Dec 2011, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
hostage (30)
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles