Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Turntablism and Hardcore/Hardstyle

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby doomahx » 19 Mar 2015, 19:50

Every time I go to see hardcore/hardstyle DJ's it seems that they never actually blend any of their tracks or do anything interesting with the decks. Almost every time they just abruptly cut the next track in. Yes the beats lineup and the abrupt transition is on time but they don't actually run the tracks together at all, scratch or cut.

I got my training in oldschool hiphop back in the 90's then moved on to trance and hardcore/gabber. I've always blended my tracks, sometimes only a 5 or 10 seconds, sometimes a minute if I have created something insane sounding. I often find myself cutting back and forth between tracks, scratch etc.

Today I was hanging out at my friends house and he started to spin some hardstyle and then some gabber. I asked him to do all of the above and it sounded fucking awesome when incorporated in a set!

So, why don't more hard DJ's incorporate this stuff into their sets? Can anyone recommend any current DJ's that do?

I remember DJ Sy and some other hardcore DJ's like DJ Venom back in the day did but it seems to have died off :(

Example

doomahx
State Tourist

Postby Johnny250 » 19 Mar 2015, 20:04

there are a few artists (mainly Early) like DJ Vince, Dj Panic etc. or Kutski, Partyraiser, who have the skills to make great transitions

Johnny250 (29)
State Hero

Postby doomahx » 19 Mar 2015, 20:07

Awesome! thanks!

I've heard a short kutski mix in the past, i'll look for more. He played around me not too long ago, i should have gone to see him. oh well, next time. That clip is sick btw, definitely going to find some mixes by him.

For real though, I get so bored when I go out to see most DJ's now. I can listen to 90% of the tracks they play on my own, do something unique with them FFS!
doomahx
State Tourist

Postby The Convicted » 19 Mar 2015, 20:11

Maybe it's something you're looking for?
The Convicted (24)
State Retired Person

Postby doomahx » 19 Mar 2015, 20:26

YES!! Another great clip right there.
doomahx
State Tourist

Postby Dj_Mazzanotti » 19 Mar 2015, 21:07

Dj_Mazzanotti (29)
State Native

Postby Reverse Ghost » 20 Mar 2015, 00:53

There was a similar NS video but it was taken down. He was using some strange FX device that involved the angle at which he hovered his hand above it.
It was not Sonar, it was an already created device.
Reverse Ghost (26)
State Legend

Postby Faber93 » 20 Mar 2015, 09:58

Manu le malin is one of the most skilled djs in the scene
Faber93 (26)
State Native

Postby doomahx » 20 Mar 2015, 10:43

all great!

This adds such a unique sound to someone's set and can also completely alter the experience of certain songs.

So it makes me wonder.. what happened? Why does it seem like this is someone only older DJ"s do? Are young kids just not being taught these skills? Is it just that less people appreciate it?

Many times when I go out now, I feel like there isn't even a DJ, it's almost like listening to one of those radio stations where the computer selects everything. If most people enjoy that, then that's fine and I guess there isn't much I can do about it, but it just seems kind of sad in a way. I fee like there is such an emphasis on having perfect transitions and not upsetting the audience with a possible train wreck, that many DJ's have become afraid to experiment with their decks.

To me it's like having a piece of bread from the supermarket VS a nice baguette made by a master artisan baker.
doomahx
State Tourist

Postby SarahKerrigan » 20 Mar 2015, 13:45

I was worried I was being the only one that was actually missing this. I can understand the thrill of mixing to a liveaudience, using effects and just fistpumping away to hype the crowd just fine - but somewhere along the line the whole mixing and actual skills (sorry if I might upset any DJ's here) of using a turntable got lost.

I remember getting into Hardstyle and Hardcore, though the hardcore one had more of the scratching and stuff to it where DJ's would play the vocal version of a track and scratch it and mix that one in on a completely different track. Much like todays LIVE-sets may have it. It's something I really miss, scratching in general. Unexist is probably the first name that comes to mind with scratching while just mixing away.

Unexist @ industrial strength tour glasgow:

What I definitely miss is hardstyle having some sort of difference in what way it's being mixed, forgive me if I'm mistaken but today it's only like 2nd climax -> new song, it fits and all, but it's getting really dull. I want to make an example of something I really love, and it's Unexist again (favorite DJ with Angerfist :p) The way he mixes the tracks, fading and everything, it's something I really miss to be honest.

Unexist Live @ Defqon.1 2007 [Silver]
SarahKerrigan
State Celebrity

Postby doomahx » 20 Mar 2015, 13:51

Those are perfect examples! Really nice clips.

It really affects my dancing also. I feel like most of the time we get maybe 1 minute of continuous dancing time, before it's time for another 3 minutes "hands in the air" moment, where everyone stands around like sheep staring at the DJ doing absolutely nothing. I like to spend 20 minutes dancing straight without a break! It's nearly impossible to do that on most occasions now.

Something I forgot to mention before, is that I really respect when DJ's choose NOT to play the climax or drop of a song. I feel like people have become so used to a climax or " sick drop" every 3 minutes, it's nice when a DJ spits in all of their faces and doesn't give it to them, mixing in the next song before it comes.

Here is a local NYC female hardcore DJ scratching to some oldskool hardcore. Jen Mas always put on a good show.

Now that I think about it. I guess it could simply just be because older DJ's were forced to learn to beatmatch and mix.. there was no other option. Kids learning today simply don't have to learn it, so perhaps they don't appreciate it as it isn't necessary any longer.
doomahx
State Tourist

Postby Ferren » 20 Mar 2015, 16:23

Music was entirely different back then.
Plus, mixing old School Hardcore is much more "stressful" then mixing today's music.
After a finished beatmix, you often have about 2min till you have to beatmix again. Today you got like 4-5 minutes that include a "hands up" moment.... AND the beatmix just need to be 25-27 seconds at tops, atleast when it comes to todays hardstyle.

Though I have experienced with not including that moment when I mix, but the real climax is AFTER the break so it just sounds weird when you mix in another tune before the break.. In my opinion anyway
Soundcloud Facebook
"Thunderdome till we die!"
Ferren (35)
Producer

Postby Xotic » 20 Mar 2015, 18:23

Deleted MSG
Last edited by Xotic on 20 Mar 2015, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Xotic
State Tourist

Postby Xotic » 20 Mar 2015, 18:37

I actually like mixing climax's as when it comes out correct it gives the drop more energy and sets up the next track. You have to do it right. Not every track is capable of being done that way. There are different techniques for every two tracks that are mixed together.

For instance I am loving right now Neophyte - Braincrackin (Titan/Slim Shore Edit) + Psyko Punkz - Drunken Master or a new one I am playing with which I think could be more of an mashup of AudioFreq Riot + Hard Driver WUT.
Xotic
State Tourist

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles