Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

American Clubs and Hardstyle

Postby PumpStatic » 05 Jul 2012, 08:20

Hey guys, so I've been getting more into DJ'ing, but I have a concern. Well I really love hardstyle, and I would like to produce and DJ it for many people here in America. But my concern is would it even be worth my time sending my Hardstyle Mix Demos to Club owners here in America? I only say this because soo many club residents here only play house/dubstep/trance. Would the people that run the club want someone to break this "genre chain" by having someone like me mixing hard dance music (AKA Hardstyle/Hardcore) :? Would the owners really want someone like me to play a type of music many americans haven't ever heard of before? Thanks in advance, I've been pondering this question for awhile now ;)
PumpStatic (23)
State Native

Postby Digital Audio Tape » 05 Jul 2012, 09:57

i'm not from america, but it's kinda universal thing, i guess, and the answer is no. club owners mainly think about money, money, money, and making more money. they don't give a flying fuck about young djs who play non-commercial music, they just want bigger djs for cheaper fees (that'd be ideal situation for them), who will attract shitloads of people and cost them, club-owners, less. that's it, as simple as that. yeah, you may be lucky to find some underground-oriented club, tho i'm not sure that there are any in the US. but hey, it worked in Russia, and music-wise my country is basically the same as your country.
when i started djing, i had the cery same problem as you now. and i experienced a lot of shit while trying to figure out how to get myself gigs and stuff (i started djing with trance back in 2006, and trance was even less popular back then in my city, than hardstyle is now), so i had like two gigs in half a year or something like that (except for friend's parties and stuff). eventually i got fed up with this shit, and moreover i discovered hardstyle in 2007, and decided to switch genres, started buying hardstyle vinyls and so on (ah, good ole' times...) aaaaaand i stumbled upon the very same problem! noone wanted to let me play hardstyle in clubs, people didn't even know what hardstyle is! that went on for a year or something, and then i was lucky to meet a promoter, who was eager to promote hardcore in my city. he started making hardcore parties, and occasionally he also let me play there. to make the long story short, harder styles have grown in my city since then, we now have parties on a regular basis, so i spin at least once-twice a month, but the guy turned out to be a dick, so i with a couple of friends had to say goodbye to him and create our own promo-group, to make our own parties.
and here's the main part! we were looking for a suitable club to make our parties for a while. but then we've stumbled upon a club that had been mainly working with metal/alternative bands (concerts and shit), but they had the second stage that was overtaken by some shitty young dnb-dj-wannabes. so we talked to the club-owner, he then let us make parties on wednesdays, just to test how it's going to work out. these parties turned out to be relatively successful (given it's a party in the middle of the week), and now we make parties on weekends.

sorry for tl;dr
Long story short - try to look for underground clubs, even clubs that mainly do metal concerts, they sometimes need djs to play short sets between bands, so they will be able to plug their equipment and stuff. and NEVER go to mainstream clubs, like i've told, their owners just want the most commercial music.
Brennan Heart:It's called hardstyle for good reason. It's hard and it's style

aw yiss! My new shiny facebook page!
Digital Audio Tape (31)
Crab

Postby VanillaFace » 05 Jul 2012, 13:30

My opinion is pretty much the same as DAT's. It's all about finding the right club.
It doesn't even have to even be that underground. Here's my example: The city I live in isn't that big and the hard dance scene is tiny (probably smaller than anywhere else in Australia). A local club (one of the bigger ones) recently brought down a reputable hardstyle DJ for a hard dance night. The club owner is a customer where I work so I made an effort to talk to him about the event and hardstyle (getting to know people is key in getting a set). Turns out he loves it and is planning on having more hardstyle nights later in the year. The club is also very keen about new talent and often have DJ comps where anyone can get behind the decks, and the owner guy encouraged me to hand in a promo (which I'll do when I'm confident enough). Also important is getting the feel of what style would truly fit the club you want to play at. For example at this club there is no way I'd get a set playing nustyle - the crowd there would not get into it. However, I reckon they'd go off for Theracords, Avio and Spoontech sort of stuff mixed in with some early stuff. It's all about the target audience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is three things:
- Find a club that would be open to alternative dance styles (such as hardstyle) or already likes hardstyle. This is often the hard part, but Illinois is a big city and there will certainly be such clubs out there. Just gotta find them.
- Figure what style would best suit that club. (commercial doesn't always mean popular - especially in the edm club scene).
- Get to know people that matter (owners, promoters, etc.) Add them on facebook, talk to people in clubs etc.

I've been very lucky in all three of these aspects and hope to get behind the decks by the end of the year.
VanillaFace (24)
State Native

Postby PumpStatic » 05 Jul 2012, 17:26

Well said guys, this helped a lot! :wave:
PumpStatic (23)
State Native

Postby DjVero » 05 Jul 2012, 21:05

Illinois is not a city VanillaFace :+
Mr. Revealed
DjVero (30)
Crab

Postby VanillaFace » 06 Jul 2012, 00:34

:facepalm: Oh shit, of course.
VanillaFace (24)
State Native

Postby PumpStatic » 06 Jul 2012, 20:17

VanillaFace::facepalm: Oh shit, of course.

:+ Woopsie
PumpStatic (23)
State Native

Postby Fyziks » 09 Jul 2012, 05:27

With the work Hard Dance Nation has been doing for the American scene I wouldn't be surprised if you get call backs. I've been DJing hardstyle for about a year now and I'm starting to get a lot more offers to do some big shows. I'm in Southeast Wisconsin, btw. Sadly, I don't have enough money for controllers and CDJs I just use my mouse and keyboard with traktor, lol. So I have not done any actual shows.
Fyziks (25)
State Newcomer

Postby Markove » 31 Aug 2012, 23:13

You need to find the right club and be in the right area. For example, my area isn't that large into splitting off from the usual house and trance producers. As DAT said, they care about the money and getting as much profit as possible. Some club owners realize the potential in the harder styles and will cater, but most won't. You'll receive a lot of rejection, but at the same time when you find that one chance, it could become huge for you.

If you ever notice where the hardstyle DJs go when they're on tour here, it's RARELY a popular club. HHZ and DBSTF both played at smaller scale theaters rather than dedicated nightclub venues. If even the big names have
ImageImageImage
Markove (28)
Producer

Postby R3cl41m3r » 17 Oct 2012, 02:27

Markove:You need to find the right club and be in the right area. For example, my area isn't that large into splitting off from the usual house and trance producers. As DAT said, they care about the money and getting as much profit as possible. Some club owners realize the potential in the harder styles and will cater, but most won't. You'll receive a lot of rejection, but at the same time when you find that one chance, it could become huge for you.

If you ever notice where the hardstyle DJs go when they're on tour here, it's RARELY a popular club. HHZ and DBSTF both played at smaller scale theaters rather than dedicated nightclub venues. If even the big names have

Did your message cut off, or is that actually where you're ending your sentence? :+
"If you want to assert a truth, first make sure it's not just an opinion that you desperately want to be true."
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
R3cl41m3r (24)
State Celebrity

Location: Australia (au) The place where everything can kill you.

Postby Markove » 17 Oct 2012, 23:42

Musugorotsuki:
Markove:You need to find the right club and be in the right area. For example, my area isn't that large into splitting off from the usual house and trance producers. As DAT said, they care about the money and getting as much profit as possible. Some club owners realize the potential in the harder styles and will cater, but most won't. You'll receive a lot of rejection, but at the same time when you find that one chance, it could become huge for you.

Did your message cut off, or is that actually where you're ending your sentence? :+

I have no idea what happened. Apparently it got cut off. Maybe I wanted you to feel suspense?! :?

My thought was probably along the lines of: if the big names from Europe can't play at the larger venues, then how can someone smaller jump into it? If we're being honest, even dubstep doesn't get booked at major venues where I'm at.
ImageImageImage
Markove (28)
Producer

Postby ItsHeavyMOFO » 22 Oct 2012, 01:18

I havent tryed to get any bookings yet(need some better gear to practice on) ,but in Chicago there are some more undergroundish raves that have some hardstyle acts. Try going on facebook or google for some promoters in your area. If you are in Chicago I think this is a good place to start your search https://www.facebook.com/Masssive?ref=ts&fref=ts

Dont really contact the people running this page, but try to see if you can get some contact info from the promoters of the events they list on that page.
malicious_kode: And yet paradoxically, despite it being relatively abundant, it is universally acknowledged that nobody listens to techno.
ItsHeavyMOFO (23)
State Native

Postby hufer » 29 Nov 2012, 09:37

i spin out here on the west coast in the bay area. i really get is calls around Halloween when they wants hardcore gabber hardstyle psytrance. i play raves. i dont produce much just spin other music but old hardstyle not nu-hardstyle. you just have to find the right places to play. there was a place i would play at a couple of times a year but they close years back. sometimes i will go to la to play if i get the call. but mainly i stay to raves. i did open for angerfist when i came here.
FUCK DUBSTEP and ETARDS
hufer (32)
State Newcomer

Postby CrispGalaxy » 24 Jan 2013, 05:09

Your best bet would be to as earlier stated find an underground club that doesnt mind throwing you in the mix on a slow day. Who knows, you might start to influence the musical tastes of that town and get your name out there! In the city I live in we had Jame Bayliss pioneer the Hardstyle sound (It's a very Hip-Hop-y town), but now its grown and theres more demand at clubs and events for hard dance
CrispGalaxy
State Newcomer

Postby QuantomMusic » 09 Mar 2013, 03:27

ItsHeavyMOFO:I havent tryed to get any bookings yet(need some better gear to practice on) ,but in Chicago there are some more undergroundish raves that have some hardstyle acts.

This guy speaks the truth!!! I rave in Chicago almost every other weekend and I only know of one big hardstyle DJ here... DJ Xposur, he's very good and mixes only vinyl sets. Any hardstyle DJs looking for a crowd PLEASE come to Chicago, we need you here.
Quantom - DJ / Producer
Quantom.us
Facebook
QuantomMusic (23)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles