Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

What plugins do i need to make hardstyle/hardcore

All about Software and Hardware (Shared HS/HC)

Postby TheShuffler » 14 Mar 2018, 21:05

Hello I am new to FL studio 12 (and electronic music production in general) and I want to know what plugins you guys use.
TheShuffler
State Newcomer

Postby Henrik » 14 Mar 2018, 22:24

Synths:

Sylenth
Massive
Spire
Dune
Virus TI
Nexus
Kontakt

FX:
Waves
Filterbank
Ohmicide
Trash2
Ozone8
VPS Bundle
Fabfilter
UAD

and a bunch of stock Logic X Plugins

For hardstyle and hardcore all you basically need is a ton of reverb, a good eq (standart fl one should do the job) and one or two good distortions. the rest comes to taste and experience. for the beginnning i'd suggest you to dive into sylenth1, so you get a universal understanding on how subtractive synthesis works.
Go hard or go home
Henrik (28)
State Newcomer

Postby Ilidien » 15 Mar 2018, 05:29

I would add harmor to that list and probably remove nexus as soon as you feel comfortable without it,
Also fl's stock distortion plugin waveshaper gives you a lot of flexibility (esp the asymmetrical mode)
Lastly i think serum is missing from this list. personally dont really like using kontakt but it is great.
Ilidien (23)
State Tourist

Postby Valadia » 15 Mar 2018, 12:34

Don't listen to Henrik. The only thing you need is Sausage Fattener.
Nah, just kidding. Henrik and Ilidien already made pretty good suggestions and these are the most common used plugins in the hardstyle scene. Some synths I would still suggest are;

Kick2 - It's my favourite kick synth and it gives you a lot of freedom to do whatever you want with the kick. Also, I really like the visual representation, so you can actually see what you're doing to the waveform.

Rob Papen's RAW - It's an awesome subtractive synth, specially designed for sound design which is heavily distorted. I use this for a lot of my leads and screeches and it works awesome.

And like Ilidien said, the list definitly misses Serum. It's simply one of the best plugins out there.
Soundcloud
Facebook
kraczk:Also Hard Driver and Digital Punk are notorious for being edgier than US school shooters.
Valadia (20)
Producer

Postby TheShuffler » 15 Mar 2018, 13:03

What plugins you think are a MUST buy? And why do I need different eqs, synthesizers, etc? Because for 180 euros they must be good to do everything already, right? Or they do different functions that's why people use more than one? Please explain
TheShuffler
State Newcomer

Postby Ilidien » 15 Mar 2018, 16:44

Valadia:Don't listen to Henrik. The only thing you need is Sausage Fattener.
Nah, just kidding. Henrik and Ilidien already made pretty good suggestions and these are the most common used plugins in the hardstyle scene. Some synths I would still suggest are;

Kick2 - It's my favourite kick synth and it gives you a lot of freedom to do whatever you want with the kick. Also, I really like the visual representation, so you can actually see what you're doing to the waveform.

Rob Papen's RAW - It's an awesome subtractive synth, specially designed for sound design which is heavily distorted. I use this for a lot of my leads and screeches and it works awesome.

And like Ilidien said, the list definitly misses Serum. It's simply one of the best plugins out there.

I dont know about you, but my master chain usually looks something like: soundgoodizer, sausage fattener, fruity bass boost, soundgoodizer, soundgoodizer fruity reeverb2, sausage fattener :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+
Ilidien (23)
State Tourist

Postby Ilidien » 15 Mar 2018, 16:49

TheShuffler:What plugins you think are a MUST buy? And why do I need different eqs, synthesizers, etc? Because for 180 euros they must be good to do everything already, right? Or they do different functions that's why people use more than one? Please explain

In theory you should be able to make most sounds with a single plugin, its going to take 200+hours to do so though, some plugins are really good at a certain type of sound and other plugins another kind, for example sylenth (and sytrus as fl stock) are subtractive synthesisers (fm or rm) and are really good for screeches while other plugins like virus TI can make leads and supersaws more easily. recently ive really been diving into the possibilities that harmor gives (free with fl studio) which is an additive synthesizer, so it works in a completely different way, allowing you to get radically different outcomes without spending days.
Ilidien (23)
State Tourist

Postby Ilidien » 15 Mar 2018, 16:51

also you dont really need different EQs, just find one you're comfortable with using because they all more or less do the same (I mostly still use fruity parametric EQ 2 even though i have the fabfilter pro which is supposed to be better)
Ilidien (23)
State Tourist

Postby Valadia » 15 Mar 2018, 19:46

In the end, it’s all about workflow.
Soundcloud
Facebook
kraczk:Also Hard Driver and Digital Punk are notorious for being edgier than US school shooters.
Valadia (20)
Producer

Postby TheShuffler » 15 Mar 2018, 23:19

Then what plugins should I buy? Which are the best ones to start with?
TheShuffler
State Newcomer

Postby Valadia » 16 Mar 2018, 01:40

TheShuffler:Then what plugins should I buy? Which are the best ones to start with?

I'm not allowed to say so here, but don't buy them in the beginning. Just torrent some plugins to try their workflow, how you like them and which one you like best. It would be a huge waste to buy Sylenth for 150€ or smth, and then find out you don't like it. If you like the plugin you're working with, buy it. But I'm a huge believer of try before you buy.

Answering your question tho, before I forget.

I would suggest having a look at the plugins mentioned above.
Especially Sylenth1, Serum, Kick2 and Spire are awesome to use.
For effects, you'll be ok with stock plugins first. Maybe get a distortion unit like Izotope Trash2 or Venm.
They work pretty good.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Valadia (20)
Producer

Postby nuttyt » 09 Jun 2018, 16:36

The main things I use

Virus TI2
Massive
Dune 2
Fabfilter Pro Q
Fabfilter Filterbank
Fabfilter Volcano
Izotope Trash
Camelphat
Sylenth
Lexicon Reverb
nuttyt (35)
Producer

Postby KRB-MP » 10 Jun 2018, 15:43

Most of FL stock plugins (like parametric EQ, Chorus, Reeverb etc..) are pretty good, there are also some freebies that could help you beginning with hardstyle :

Distortions :
- Camelcrusher
- Vnom
- D-Stortion
- CL36
- HY-MBdrive

Kick Generator :
- Synsonic BD-909
- DR-910 (Drum Machine)

Various Effects :
- All KarmaFX plugins
- Sausage Fattener
- OTT

All these plugins are free and pretty useful, I recommend it ;)
KRB-MP (20)
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles