Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

The ULTIMATE monitor topic

All about Software and Hardware (Shared HS/HC)

Postby SCH » 17 Apr 2015, 20:44

RoyHavens:
SCH:Go to a music store and try out speakers, pick a pair you like, that have a good, flat bass response, which are in your price range.

I've said this a billion times already.

Would you mind explaining "flat bass response"?

Not too much, nor too little. But acoustics will also matter a lot.

Soepa: That hour train ride is worth it.
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (25)
Producer

Postby leeroy » 08 Aug 2015, 18:52

I have krk rocket 5's, I noticed that they are not accurate enough for really low frequencies, I'm serious about mixing down sounds properly, do you recommend me to buy different monitors?
leeroy (27)
State Native

Postby Cardioid » 08 Aug 2015, 19:28

leeroy:I have krk rocket 5's, I noticed that they are not accurate enough for really low frequencies, I'm serious about mixing down sounds properly, do you recommend me to buy different monitors?

Well, depends. If your room acoustics are shit, then probably other monitors will sound inaccurate in the low frequency spectrum too...
Cardioid (29)
State Native

Postby leeroy » 08 Aug 2015, 22:14

Cardioid:
leeroy:I have krk rocket 5's, I noticed that they are not accurate enough for really low frequencies, I'm serious about mixing down sounds properly, do you recommend me to buy different monitors?

Well, depends. If your room acoustics are shit, then probably other monitors will sound inaccurate in the low frequency spectrum too...

well damn that might be true but still, I'm not sure whether I should trust the krks full stop
leeroy (27)
State Native

Postby SCH » 08 Aug 2015, 22:48

Of you know your acoustics and your monitors, there should be no big problem of you're at an novice to adequate level of production.
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (25)
Producer

Postby GamerZoneUSA » 12 Sep 2015, 08:57

Does anyone here have the Presonus Eris E4.5? Looking into new Computer speakers since my sub blew lately... And was thinking about getting these even though they're a bit tall for my desk haha
Soundcloud Facebook Page Part of the #Atmozcrew
GamerZoneUSA (20)
State Hero

Postby Shellshock » 13 Sep 2015, 13:20

dynaudio or bust
Shellshock (24)
Producer

Postby Shellshock » 13 Sep 2015, 13:20

dynaudio or bust
Shellshock (24)
Producer

Postby nznexus » 13 Sep 2015, 23:15

im satisfied with my studio monitors i will never change them. like ever
nznexus
State Citizen

Postby ChristianHardstyle » 03 Nov 2015, 23:35

Hi guys, i'm thinking about changing my (old) monitors but i don't know much about acoustics and so on...
So as a bedroom producer the only place where i can produce is my room, but my desk is placed in the corner of the room. I made a quick ( :+ ) image of my equipment position where black is the wall, grey is the desk, red the screen, pink the monitors, blue other equipment and green where i am (the only position i can stay). Since the desk is about 30-cm profound and the distance between the two monitors is about the same, what kind of monitors do you recommend me? I've read that Yamaha HS50M are good near-field monitors, but the bass doesn't sound good at all, especially with a non-treated room. So do you have any suggestions for me? :) :) Thanks!!

--- Retired producer from Italy who loves reverse bass ---
Sunriser - http://www.soundcloud.com/sunriserdj
ChristianHardstyle (20)
Producer

Postby TJOAudio » 07 Nov 2015, 01:48

In a environment like that, especially if you're not centred in a room, you'd be better off getting a really good pair of headphones like Audeeze or something along those lines.

Without symmetry and a lot of treatment you will never get your bass to sound true or flat as certain notes will either dip or peak up to 20db. And the assymetry with the walls will distort the stereo image by different timings and comb filtering by the reflections off the walls.. it also depends on your room dimensions of what those frequencies will be...

But I guess you could get HS70 or even HS80. Getting smaller speakers is like sticking your head in the sand, higher bass cut off, less problems caused by the room.

I dont know what your budget is, but for low level monitoring(75-80dbish) if you could get your desk centred in the room id recommend you Neumann KH120 5inch also iirc and front ported unlike the Yamahas ^^
TJOAudio (22)
Producer

Postby ChristianHardstyle » 09 Nov 2015, 19:16

I can't get my desk centered in any way, so i want something that isn't too much affected by the bad position of the monitors. The HS8 seems the one with the best frequencies response, but the HS7 are similar. Do studio monitors have to reach 20hz or 35/40hz is acceptable? Also, are there other monitors that are at the same level? My budget is around 350-400€.

Edit: also some people recommend the Adam F5, how are they?
ChristianHardstyle (20)
Producer

Postby TJOAudio » 11 Nov 2015, 08:03

ChristianHardstyle:I can't get my desk centered in any way, so i want something that isn't too much affected by the bad position of the monitors. The HS8 seems the one with the best frequencies response, but the HS7 are similar. Do studio monitors have to reach 20hz or 35/40hz is acceptable? Also, are there other monitors that are at the same level? My budget is around 350-400€.

Edit: also some people recommend the Adam F5, how are they?

I'd go with the HS80.
TJOAudio (22)
Producer

Postby ChristianHardstyle » 11 Nov 2015, 19:33

I will buy the HS7 or the HS80 soon, but do i need an audio interface to use them? Also, are Mopads really useful? (BTW thanks TJOAudio for the help :) )
ChristianHardstyle (20)
Producer

Postby TJOAudio » 12 Nov 2015, 11:32

ChristianHardstyle:I will buy the HS7 or the HS80 soon, but do i need an audio interface to use them? Also, are Mopads really useful? (BTW thanks TJOAudio for the help :) )

Yea you need 2 line-level outputs and some kind of monitor controller, most interfaces have some sort of volume pot built in though

Mopads? I dont really know, I never use them. I use speaker stands filled with sand.

But my speakers sound awful just standing on the desk, a lot of lower mid range build up and lack of clarity in treble, its like a 40% difference, like, drastic I think its mainly the height that affects it the most to be honest
TJOAudio (22)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles