Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Opinion change on Headhunterz

Postby bassfaceBAM » 14 May 2018, 12:51

Headhunterz is someone that I admired but found too much of a drama Queen and was kind of groaning to hear his return. Back in the day besides The Prophet I never really took to the Scantraxx sound in favour more of Fusion.
The whole hype around Hhz I found a bit over the top however since the start of the year at least once a week I've been listening to alot of his older stuff particularly his P1 act with Wildstylez another artists I don't mind but don't love. I can't believe I hardly knew of P1 when I started listening to hardstyle back in 07. The tracks made are among the very best the genre can offer.

I would laugh at, cringe and dismiss Headhunterz mainly because just before he went to EDM his music was sickly sweet pop fluff. But the curiosity of his new album became too much especially after hearing Takin it back multiple times. I may not love every track on his new album but some are stand outs and the album as whole felt complete and not just a collection of singles like many artist album can be. I then started watching through his vlogs and came across a guy who appears to be genuine, humble and at times vulnerable and I got respect for that. The Defqon return tease video of him last year is still 100 percent cheese of course and the marketing tiring at times but still. I think I actually quite like the man as a human being.

I now find myself excited to hear his next project and even curious to see him perform at Defqon which I didn't think was ever going to happen. Am I finally succumbing to hype? I don't think so. His new music is solid, nostalgic and has real feeling in them.

Dude is still a bit of drama Queen though. But then who am I to judge?
bassfaceBAM (29)
State Celebrity

Postby Emre » 14 May 2018, 13:07

He's a really nice, sensitive person and I think the dramaqueen/wanting to be in the spotlights side of his personality is only because he became so big and is only visible when he's on stage. Tbh, I think everyone that becomes a role model for hundreds of thousands of people and gets his name tattoed on dozens of people changes a little bit personally, i think that's normal. He's not a 'staying in the background guy' and that's his right. I don't understand people who admire more introvert / staying in the background people so much, it's a choice, just like wanting to be in the front is. None of them is better than the other. Music-wise he's always been one of the guys putting out the highest possible quality in our scene and on top of this wall of text, I think it's not just HHZ himself hyping everything up, but Q-dance has a big hand in that. Q profits off Heady, but the name Headhunterz has become so big on itself that Q profits a lot of Heady aswell.

I like the marketing strategy around Heady. He interacts really frequently and perfectly on social media, which helps a lot. For example NC could be a lot bigger/hypemachine if he was just as active on socials imo. But he doesn't, his social media appearance is shit compared to HHZ.

All in all, humble, sensitive guy with a lot of musical talent that became big super quick after The Prophet pushed him into the scene. What you see on stage is always a more extreme version of the person himself.

Edit: In his interview after Defqon 2017 he even admitted he had a lot of luck when he became big around '06/07 because there was way less competition back then, and he has a more humble view on these things now, he doesn't see himself as the god of Hardstyle at all. Still sees TBY and Tuneboy and the rest of Saifam as way better artists and when he's creamed over by the interviews with things like '#1 hardstyle dj' etc he blushes and waves it off.
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby ceero » 14 May 2018, 13:34

Yayy, another pointless HHz thread.

My take on the guy - i can't stand his online persona, he's like a male version of obnoxious instagram attention whoring chicks, really (let me underline 'online', i dont know the dude personally).
But his music is, although a bit overhyped and overrated, pretty sweet. I loved most of his house stuff (To Be Me and Cyborg are some of my all timefav house tunes tbh) and i do like his nowadays hardstyle too. When it comes to music, i always try to depersonalize the music from the face behind it. As long as the music is good idgaf who made it and what kind of person it is, come on this is music not Bravo magazine teenage face contest.

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Postby Gommes_ » 14 May 2018, 13:40

I always most of the times able to separate between his personality and his music. Sometimes he annoys me a lot but that doesn't affect his music. I can see why you hated his stuff right before he left, cause it was simply awful (United kids of the world, the atrocious mosh pit remix etc.) but in 2012, so only 1 or 2 years before he left, he made the biggest tracks imo.

Lessons in Love, Toulouse, What happened in Vegas, Hard With Style, Doomed etc. are outstanding and all came out in 2012. If you haven't checked them out, do it :)
I hear home in that bass
Gommes_ (33)
State Native

Postby Qobalt » 14 May 2018, 16:52

ceero:he's like a male version of obnoxious instagram attention whoring chicks, really (let me underline 'online', i dont know the dude personally).

I think that he is in active gf search now :) Although I can be wrong.
Pretender: wow, you're so full of shit, that even my toilet refuses to flush you.
http://harderstate.com/post177530.html#p177530
Qobalt (24)
State Celebrity

Postby Emre » 14 May 2018, 16:54

Qobalt:
ceero:he's like a male version of obnoxious instagram attention whoring chicks, really (let me underline 'online', i dont know the dude personally).

He's had a gf for a while now https://www.instagram.com/evalunaellinger/
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby Qobalt » 14 May 2018, 17:08

Emre:
Qobalt:

He's had a gf for a while now https://www.instagram.com/evalunaellinger/

Ok, that was my fault. I came up with this statement because he stopped posting that faceless gf pics and started posting himself half-naked instead :)
Pretender: wow, you're so full of shit, that even my toilet refuses to flush you.
http://harderstate.com/post177530.html#p177530
Qobalt (24)
State Celebrity

Postby Segugio » 14 May 2018, 18:43

I like his music (not nearly as much as his old music), and I'm sure he's a decent person.

I don't really understand his relationship with Q-Dance. They've been hyping his return for two years now. I think it's safe to say that he's back. It was exciting at Qlimax 2016. It feels forced at Defqon.1 2018. He's been back longer than he was ever gone.

I don't understand the politics/people involved, but as an outsider, it seems really odd that HHZ leaves for greener pastures, then returns and is hailed as a messiah. Why is Frontliner so hated by the same company for wanting to sign to a different agency? Is it only okay to leave if you're HHZ? Why is Brennan Heart allowed to dictate terms to Q-Dance by not allowing them to release his Qlimax set?

It seems that some artists can do whatever they like, and other artists have to stay in line or face exile.
Segugio (33)
State Tourist

Postby ThePrincipal » 15 May 2018, 01:32

my feelings are

1. HHZ is so pushed to keep raw hardstyle at an arm's length and never make it that popular at Q (whether that is working, who knows)
2. People frothed so hard for HHZ to make HS when he went away that it was a business opportunity too good to refuse by Q so they have him as the cash cow.
3. I've always found him strange
4. I still dislike the high majority of his old music but can dig most of the newer stuff from him and as P1.
5. Frontliner did more than just want to go to a new agency, there are enough posts on HST about that though.
The Principal - Hardstyle DJ/Producer from Australia

Facebook: @theprincipalofficial
Soundcloud: @theprincipalaus
ThePrincipal
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles