Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

What good online courses are there for electronic music production?

Postby TheShuffler » 09 Mar 2018, 09:17

Hello, I wanted to know what good online courses are there for electronic music production. I am interested in learning to produce hardstyle and hardcore. I know most people learn by themselfs, but I want someone to teach me so i can learn faster and because this programs seem ¨complicated¨ to use.
TheShuffler
State Newcomer

Postby tomm!c » 09 Mar 2018, 13:28

I'm pretty sure that most likely all the artists from those genre's learned their skills from just simple Youtube tutorials for all sorts of things according to producing (the first steps, making leads, mixing, EQ'ing and stuff). You can easily find everything you need to learn on youtube. Good luck!
tomm!c
State Senior Citizen

Postby Emre » 09 Mar 2018, 14:30

TheShuffler:Hello, I wanted to know what good online courses are there for electronic music production. I am interested in learning to produce hardstyle and hardcore. I know most people learn by themselfs, but I want someone to teach me so i can learn faster and because this programs seem ¨complicated¨ to use.

yeah but I understand his problem. I've been watching tutorials on and off for about 8 years and still didn't really produce anything decent because the tutorials rarely start from scratch, the guys already have a lot of plugins when they start the tutorial, so you gotta get those first, then most of tutorials aren't really explained step by step, they just click things, maybe it's me but it's hard to be good at something by repeating, I can click the same things as the person in the tutorial does but I want to know why he clicks them. Tbh it would be neat if there were decent courses for this. I'm 8 years in and ok, I only opened a DAW 20-30 times in that period but I have no idea wtf I am doing. Tutorials are praised but you gotta find a good one for it to be understandable imo.
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby tomm!c » 09 Mar 2018, 15:17

Emre:
TheShuffler:Hello, I wanted to know what good online courses are there for electronic music production. I am interested in learning to produce hardstyle and hardcore. I know most people learn by themselfs, but I want someone to teach me so i can learn faster and because this programs seem ¨complicated¨ to use.

yeah but I understand his problem. I've been watching tutorials on and off for about 8 years and still didn't really produce anything decent because the tutorials rarely start from scratch, the guys already have a lot of plugins when they start the tutorial, so you gotta get those first, then most of tutorials aren't really explained step by step, they just click things, maybe it's me but it's hard to be good at something by repeating, I can click the same things as the person in the tutorial does but I want to know why he clicks them. Tbh it would be neat if there were decent courses for this. I'm 8 years in and ok, I only opened a DAW 20-30 times in that period but I have no idea wtf I am doing. Tutorials are praised but you gotta find a good one for it to be understandable imo.

I follow you. But when you look for a tutorial for, for example, how to make a lead you first download the plugins the tutorialmaker uses. Then you follow the exact steps he does and after that you do the same thing, but then you try to figure out why a certain button/knob does when you enable/tweak it. I was doing that for almost every tutorial I watched and then, step by step, you're learning what certain knobs do. Also there are a lot of Facebook groups, like the Code Black Producing Group, where people ask many many questions and where other people try to explain stuff very accurate comprehensive. But the most important thing in learning this complex technique is patience. But to make a step-by-step list to get to know music production i'd say this:

1. Get to know the DAW. How to use a DAW. Basic knowledge of using the patterns, midi's, samples. Sequencing and stuff.
2. Work with presets, samples and romplers. Nexus is a great plugin to make music with easy to use presets and stuff. Vengeance has amazing samples to work with for the use of percussion and fx stuff.
3. Get to know plugins. What can you do with certain plugins and what does all the knobs do

And so on. (H)
tomm!c
State Senior Citizen

Postby macdz » 09 Mar 2018, 15:54

Emre:
Code: Select all
it's hard to be good at something by repeating

heh what? Doesn't this contradict a litte bit ? You cannot be bad if you repeat things all over. That's all about economics, English and law in my case. I am getting better day by day.

if you repeat your mistakes, you will always fall into troubles. That's the problem you should aim at...Emre.
Monitor Audio BX6, NAD C356-BEE, REL T5
macdz (29)
State Hero

Postby Emre » 09 Mar 2018, 16:13

Repeating things over and over without knowing WHY doesn't work for me, no. That's why school is overrated as fk on a lot of points. I need to know what I am doing, not repeating it like a robot, that's what I meant. Good insight is still way more important than ramming random information into your skull and not understanding why the information is the way it is. But tomm!c's reply made it a bit more clear :D
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby macdz » 09 Mar 2018, 16:25

Emre:Repeating things over and over without knowing WHY doesn't work for me, no. That's why school is overrated as fk on a lot of points. I need to know what I am doing, not repeating it like a robot, that's what I meant. Good insight is still way more important than ramming random information into your skull and not understanding why the information is the way it is. But tomm!c's reply made it a bit more clear :D

Ramming random information? Why are you so negative? Why should you keep ramming random info? Why don't you go for valuable information? I think you stick to your thinking too much. That makes you go further...backwards. Plus, a good source is a good source. Find yourself a good source. Go for Yhimself maybe. He has tons of tutorials? He was astonishing, but still not perfect because of quality.

What I did: I used to work with better ones, not perfect. Maybe Yhimself would be a good one :) I wish you some headway Emre :)
Monitor Audio BX6, NAD C356-BEE, REL T5
macdz (29)
State Hero

Postby Emre » 09 Mar 2018, 16:33

I didn't mean to be negative lol. I mean actually KNOWING what I'm doing = superior to just doing it and being like 'ok but what did I actually do', I want to understand things, not only do things, otherwise I'll get nowhere. I thought that would make sense, but let's not make a too big point of it (H)
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby TheShuffler » 09 Mar 2018, 19:39

So there is no good course out there? I think a course would save a lot of time since searching the info on my own will take much time
TheShuffler
State Newcomer

Postby TheShuffler » 09 Mar 2018, 20:09

Or a course of an specific daw to know how everything works?
TheShuffler
State Newcomer

Postby hardstyleprem1um » 09 Mar 2018, 20:38

If you want video courses/tutorials you can check out Udemy.com . They have many tutorials on anything computer related (Both paid and free).
They have sound design courses and other tutorials on syntesizer and making EDM music etc.

Hugh Mungus What?....Hugh Mungus What?...Hugh Mungus What?
hardstyleprem1um (31)
State Celebrity

Postby tomm!c » 10 Mar 2018, 10:23

TheShuffler:So there is no good course out there? I think a course would save a lot of time since searching the info on my own will take much time

There are several artists who will provide courses for either much more intermediate producing skills but also courses for beginners. For example Jay Reeve does this. Not for free of course :naughty:
tomm!c
State Senior Citizen

Postby ticky » 12 Mar 2018, 22:15

Some good Hardstyle Lead tutorials

ticky
State Citizen

Postby Januz909 » 01 Apr 2018, 06:23

Save multiple versions. Experiment with different vsts see what happens. i'm sure that's what the top producers did, only way to learn what to do and not to do. It's all about learning what effects what. Make music and enjoy, that is after all the point!
Januz909
State Tourist

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles