Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Best albums in 2017 (non-hardstyle/hardcore stuff)

All other music besides Hardstyle & Hardcore

Postby The Convicted » 29 Nov 2017, 20:46

Topic name is pretty self-explanatory, I'm curious what albums do you consider as best this year in a top 5 or 10 list. Could be any kinds of genres obviously (electronic music or not), maybe I can explore some unknown stuff as well :D
Youtube | Facebook | Mixcloud

"Crop Circle Making Dominant Whore Abuser"
The Convicted (23)
Global Mod

Postby Morbid_Angel » 29 Nov 2017, 21:03

I'll drop my metal list when we're much closer to new years.
Last edited by Morbid_Angel on 30 Nov 2017, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Morbid_Angel (34)
State Native

Postby Faber93 » 30 Nov 2017, 14:18

I'll Try to drop a list!

Clark - Peak Magnetic
Perc - Bitter Music
Ontal - Amass
Ho99o9 - United States of Horror
Amenra - Mass VI
Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice
Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
Godflesh - Post Self
Clouds - HTID
Arca - Arca
Wiliam Basinski - A Shadow In time

I will add other albums later because I forgot something for sure
Faber93 (25)
State Native

Postby The Convicted » 05 Dec 2017, 21:23

Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
Kasabian - For Crying Out Loud
Protomartyr - Relatives In Descent
Idles - Brutalism
Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains
Joywave - Content
Metz - Strange Peace
Pile - A Hairshirt Of Purpose
Tall Ships - Impressions
Nothing But Thieves - Broken Machine

There were some techno collections as well.
Youtube | Facebook | Mixcloud

"Crop Circle Making Dominant Whore Abuser"
The Convicted (23)
Global Mod

Postby VOL-E » 05 Dec 2017, 21:27

Camo&Krooked - Mosaik
High Contrast - Night Gallery
I take you through the night... through the night... show you all those city lights!
VOL-E (29)
Crab

Postby lilfrenchidiot » 05 Dec 2017, 23:44

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
XXXTENTACION - 17

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1

Deorro - Good Evening
Troyboi - Left Is Right
UZ - Layers

These are the ones i can think about now, i'll update in case
lilfrenchidiot (22)
State Native

Postby berd95 » 06 Dec 2017, 00:34

I guess nobody here will know what those albums are but

Raf Camora - Anthrazit
Kollegah & Farid Bang - JBG 3
berd95
State Tourist

Postby Faber93 » 06 Dec 2017, 02:56

Would add also Junius - Ethernal Rituals for the Accretion of Light, Mount Kimbie - Love What Survives, The Body & Full of Hell - Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light and Bibio - Phantom Brickworks
Faber93 (25)
State Native

Postby Bibifoc » 06 Dec 2017, 12:12

I've too much old stuff to listen. :'(
Bibifoc (24)
State Senior Citizen

Postby ceero » 06 Dec 2017, 13:27

Solstafir - Berdreyminn
THE album of 2017 for me. If you are into unconventional, moody, yet absolutely beautiful music you need to check this band out. If Pink Floyd fucked Sigur Ros while listening to black metal, this is how their baby would sound like. This is as beautiful as music can get in my opinion (+ those videos of theirss, hnnnnghh)

Linkin Park - One More Light
Extremely controversial album, even for me. Totally hated it at first, totally love it now. It's kinda sad that the music started to make sense once Chester hung himself. The album sounds so positive and upbeat on the outside, but those lyrics and so sad and desperately crying for help.

Depeche Mode - Spirit
Never been thaaaat much of a Depeche Mode fan, but this album totally made me one. Earlier this year i accidentally ended up on their concert promoting this album and i was constantly hooked. Depeche Mode should be a must have for every electronic music fan, as these guys are to a huge extent godfathers of electronic and dance music in general. + Dave Gahan has probably the most charismatic on stage persona i have ever witnessed on a concert, absolutely unreal.

High Contrast - Night Gallery
I'm not as much of a dnb fan as i used to be back in the years, but i will always eagerly wait for new High Contrast stuff with anticipation. This guy is one of those one-of-a-kind producers who's genius reaches far beyond their home genre's boarders. One day this guy will be considered to be a very fundamental part of dance music's canon. The way he can combine drum n bass with rock, pop, jungle, rnb, rap is just amazing

Eluveitie - Evocation II: Pantheon
The metal pioneers made a really unique project this year - all accoustic folkish album that sounds like it was taken straight from early middle age. There is of course a lot of simillar themed music out there, but when one of the most established pioneer folk metal bands does it, it sounds out of this world.

Alestorm - No Grave But The Sea
Somewhat of a guilty pleasure, but i just love these guys' comedy take on metal.
And the award for the lyrics of the year goes toooooo..... :+

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Postby Morbid_Angel » 16 Dec 2017, 19:51

My Metal top 10 of 2017. (Videolinks in the spoilers)

01. Immolation - Atonement (Oldschool Death Metal) [USA] - Quite possibly their best album since Dawn of Possession, and that's saying something. Amazing album!

02. Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (Thrash Metal) {USA] - Their debut was raw and all over the place, yet still enjoyable. On Nightmare Logic they've refined their blend of Thrash and Hardcore, and put together a stellar record filled to the brim with memorable riffs.

03. The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale Of Dark Legacy (Atmospheric Black Metal) [France] - I don't usually go for Atmo Black, but this masterpiece of Lovecraft worship is insanely good.

04. Whoredom Rife - Dommedagskvad (Black Metal) [Norway] - This record could easily have been released in 1996, and no one could tell the difference, save for the improved production quality.

05. Beneath - Ephemeris (Technical Death Metal) [Iceland] - Iceland, in the metal scene, is mostly known for their amazing Black Metal bands, so imagine my surprise when I picked up this little gem and heard what it had to offer. Reminds me of bands such as Beyond Creation, Obscura, and to a lesser extend Necrophagist. Technical without going to the point of show-off.

06. Hideous Divinity - Adveniens (Technical Death Metal) [Italy] - A record of this magnitude has been coming from these Italian boys. Ever since their debut (Obeisance Rising) you could tell that something amazing was just waiting to come out, and now it has. As with Beneath, this is Tech without all the wanking.

07. Ulsect - Ulsect (Technical Death Metal) [Holland] - My first encounter with this band and I must say that I thoroughly enjoy what I'm hearing. The less polished approach (some calls this style Caverncore) works very well for this band. Reminds me of Ulcerate and Gorguts and all the right ways.

08. Svart Crown - Abreaction (Blackened Death Metal) [France] - Extremely aggressive and yet still very catchy. As this is another new band to me, I can't say how this stacks up against their earlier works, but that doesn't really matter.

09. Aosoth - V: The Inside Scriptures (Black Metal) [France] - A record I was very hyped for, and it ended up disappointing me at first, though over time, it opened up to me. Still not the mindshattering awesomeness I expected, but definitely a great record none the less.

10. Mork - Eremittens Dal (Black Metal) {Norway] - These guys have definitely listened to a lot of (early) Darkthrone, and it shows. Not that I mind (obviously) as you can never have too much Darkthrone.

Places 11-20: (In no particular order)
Ulvegr - Titahion: Kaos Manifest, Nightbringer - Terra Damnata, Azarath - In Extremis, The Drip - The Haunting Fear of Inevitability, Ofermod - Sol Nox, Maze of Sothoth - Soul Demise, Firespawn - The Reprobate, Morbid Angel - Kingdoms Disdained, SepticFlesh - Codex Omega, Maat - Monuments Will Enslave

An amazing year for Black- and Death Metal, and 2018 promises to be the same with releases from Sulphur Aeon and Odious Mortem already confirmed.

Disappointments:
Havok - Conformicide (Terrible in every way), Decrepit Birth - Axis Mundi (solid music, dreadful vocals), Goatwhore - Vengeful Ascension (Horribly generic - they can do so much better), Kreator - Gods of Violence (Boring, melodic garbage. Only good song on the album is Totalitarian Terror), Vallenfyre - Fear Those Who Fear Him (Boooooring as fuck)
Morbid_Angel (34)
State Native

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles