Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Mixdown, Dynamics & EQ (and related) Topic

Sound design and production in general

Postby TJOAudio » 20 Sep 2017, 18:19

Soundphase:
TJOAudio:
Soundphase:did anyone notice that when you layer a compressed sound with another compressed sound (with compressors active on each sound), if you turn up the gain on the first layer, it decreases the power and volume of the other layer.. is there a way to prevent this without re-sampling? I don't think I really understand this phenomenon

Never happened to me before, it seems like maybe its your 2bus compressor/limiter kicking in? Or youre getting some kind of phase cancellation. Could also be masking effect. Hard to tell with just text description of the problem o_O

it was two different compressors, but maybe I had a third compressor on the overall bus..will need to check again

Did you fix it?
TJOAudio (23)
Producer

Postby Soundphase » 21 Sep 2017, 22:59

TJOAudio:
Soundphase:
TJOAudio:
Never happened to me before, it seems like maybe its your 2bus compressor/limiter kicking in? Or youre getting some kind of phase cancellation. Could also be masking effect. Hard to tell with just text description of the problem o_O

it was two different compressors, but maybe I had a third compressor on the overall bus..will need to check again

Did you fix it?

well not really, I had a punch and tail sending to a bus and I used a compressor on the bus to shape the entire kick.. without this compressor nothing sounded "together"

this is what it looked like:
punch - no compressor
tail - compressor
bus - compressor

when I lower the gain of the tail, the punch gets louder and likewise when I higher the gain of the tail the punch level decreases due to the bus compressor.. maybe the best solution is to resample
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby D-Verze » 26 Sep 2017, 16:04

Soundphase:well not really, I had a punch and tail sending to a bus and I used a compressor on the bus to shape the entire kick.. without this compressor nothing sounded "together"

this is what it looked like:
punch - no compressor
tail - compressor
bus - compressor

when I lower the gain of the tail, the punch gets louder and likewise when I higher the gain of the tail the punch level decreases due to the bus compressor.. maybe the best solution is to resample

That's actually quite logical, your punch and your tail probably overlap at some point. If you then put them through the same compressor, they will both fight for the limited amount of dynamics which are left, resulting in decreased volumes. If you then lower the gain on your tail, you create more "space" before the compressor, which gets used by the punch :)
Connect with D-Verze
Image Image Image Image
D-Verze (25)
Producer

Postby Soundphase » 26 Sep 2017, 23:10

yep I know, I forgot about the active bus compressor. I just don't know what a workaround would be if I were not to resample this. I usually always resample because I think it's safer.
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles