Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Hardcore&Hardstyle DJ Top20 - correct?

Postby HappyAB » 13 Feb 2017, 12:26

Hi There,
I'm the webmaster of an Webpage that deals with electronic Festivals.
We build a new system where every DJ gets Points for each Festival booking and a top100 DJ ranking is calculated automatically.

I would like to have the opinion of some real Harstyle / Hardcore fans if the automatically calculated top20 are realistic.
Any Kind of Feedback is welcome. Are DJ's missing that definetly should be in the top20? Are DJ's in the top20 which you would not consider to be a Hardstyle/Hardcore DJ?....

01 Showtek - 304 Points
02 Brennan Heart Hardcore - 281 Points
03 Angerfist - 271 Points
04 Coone - 241 Points
05 Radical Redemption - 232 Points
07 Ghost - 229 Points
08 Frontliner - 224 Points
09 Warface - 218 Points
10 Atmozfears - 217 Points
11 Headhunterz - 210 Points
12 Miss K8 - 206 Points
13 Code Black - 200 Points
14 Da Tweekaz - 199 Points
15 MC Villain - 195 Points
16 Frequencerz - 194 Points
17 Korsakoff - 192 Points
18 Audiotricz - 189 Points
19 E-Force - 187 Points
20 Adaro - 185 Points
HappyAB
State Outsider

Postby solarized » 13 Feb 2017, 12:40

- Showtek are pretty much entirely house now, so I wouldn't count them.
- Brennan Heart is about as far from hardcore as you can get.
- Ghost hasn't produced anything for a long time I think?
- Headhunterz is a difficult one. 6 months ago, I would have said he shouldn't be there because he's a house DJ now, but since Qlimax... let's see what other people say
- Villian?! Really? He's an MC
- Would suggest to split this list out into separate hardstyle and hardcore artists as well.
- Have you considered looking at the hardstyle.com top 10 every day to calculate points based on those positions?
- Have you considered the popularity of an artist based on how many plays they get in all of the podcasts? There's literally millions of hardstyle and hardcore podcasts now.
I am a Space Warrior
solarized (33)
State Celebrity

Postby Emre » 13 Feb 2017, 13:38

This is as wrong as it can get.
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (23)
State Retired Person

Postby Morbid_Angel » 13 Feb 2017, 16:43

There's a ton of things wrong here, but what is this lists purpose?
Morbid_Angel (34)
State Native

Postby Xotic » 13 Feb 2017, 18:14

Morbid_Angel:There's a ton of things wrong here, but what is this lists purpose?

I think a lot of DJ's get international bookings based on a number of factors with one being overall world ranking. My assumption is this website is trying to develop a ranking system much like boxing or MMA to determine where a DJ sits internationally which than can be used by clubs and promoters to determine a DJ's worth.
Xotic
State Tourist

Postby Future Shokk » 13 Feb 2017, 20:16

Showtek = House
Ghost = Haven't read nor heard this name since ages.. is he still producing?
Frontliner = Way too high
Villain = He's a fucking MC :rofl: What's his purpose on this list?
Future Shokk (33)
Global Mod

Postby HappyAB » 14 Feb 2017, 14:37

Thanks for the input everyone.

The "Ghost" issue is probably because the program finds other DJs which have the word Ghost in it and count those as well. I have to look into that.

MC Villain simply is on the lineup on Dutch festivals every weekend that's why he got that high in the rank. No good idea yet how I will handle that.

Showtek and Brennan Heart I will have a look at. Maybe I move them to the EDM section. Depends on what type of Festivals they play the most.

About the purpose of that ranking:
Not sure if it is ok to post a link here, so please delete it if not accepted.
http://www.electronic-festivals.com/music-genre/hardcore-hardstyle
We list about 160 Festivals that have a Hardcore/Hardstyle DJ playing at it. Many of them have just 3-5 hardstyle DJs but you would not consider them a "Hardcore/Hardstyle" Festival.
The question is how can somebody that is new to the scene find the most popular Hardcore Festival in that list.
The idea is to add the DJ points of all DJs playing at a festival and by that get the lineup with the most popular Hardcore/Hardstyle DJs.
In other words I want to build a program that calculates a top 100 of the best Hardcore / Hardstyle Festival lineups.

Based on the current points given above that list would look something like that for the 2016 lineups:
1. Defqon1 with a total of 10.873 points (if we sum all DJ points of the 2016 lineup)
2. The Qontinent - 8. 717 points
3. Intents - 7.311 points
4. Craft Festival - 6.282 points
5. Fantasy Island - 5.780 points

Of course building a ranking of the best lineups makes only sense if the DJs have correct points. So I need to get that right first.
HappyAB
State Outsider

Postby Morbid_Angel » 14 Feb 2017, 17:55

HappyAB:The question is how can somebody that is new to the scene find the most popular Hardcore Festival in that list.

I imagine those completely new to hardcore comes in by listening to Angerfist, and through him they'll eventually hear one of his Dominator anthems. Then they'll probably think. "Hmm. Anthem it says. I wonder what Dominator is." Then they'd google Dominator, and bam, most popular Hardcore festival.
I genuinely doubt that anyone brand new goes looking for festivals on lists, rather than look around on facebook and ask mates etc.
Morbid_Angel (34)
State Native

Postby HappyAB » 15 Feb 2017, 15:10

It might sound like a stupid question but as I don't know much about Hardcore, I have to ask.
Why do you think that Dominator is the most popular Hardcore festival?

Do you consider Defqon1 to be a Hardstyle Festival not Hardcore?
Defqon1 has more visitors, more DJ's, more Floors and had most DJ's that played at Dominator as well.

Probably I will need to hire someone to divide the DJ's into Hardstyle and Hardcore DJ's to get a correct list for both genres.
HappyAB
State Outsider

Postby Morbid_Angel » 15 Feb 2017, 17:10

HappyAB:It might sound like a stupid question but as I don't know much about Hardcore, I have to ask.
Why do you think that Dominator is the most popular Hardcore festival?
Because it's literally the only one marketed as strongly as the big multi-genre festivals and is the only Hardcore festival outside of MoH and Nightmare that has a recognizable brand. (Since Thunderdome stopped being a thing at least)

HappyAB:Do you consider Defqon1 to be a Hardstyle Festival not Hardcore?
Defqon1 has more visitors, more DJ's, more Floors and had most DJ's that played at Dominator as well.
Defqon is most definitely a hardstyle festival - that's what it promotes the heaviest and it's what it's made its name off of.
Morbid_Angel (34)
State Native

Postby HappyAB » 17 Feb 2017, 15:37

Thanks for the insides.
HappyAB
State Outsider

Postby Qre8ive » 17 Feb 2017, 21:52

HappyAB:Showtek and Brennan Heart I will have a look at. Maybe I move them to the EDM section. Depends on what type of Festivals they play the most.

Brennan Heart is Hardstyle, not Hardcore or EDM :)
Qre8ive (30)
State Native

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles