Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

German Internet

Talk about PC's, games, gadgets, etc.

Postby MidnightDUB » 11 Jan 2017, 20:01

hello there
as the title says this topic is intended for fellow germans, theme: german internet providers. I was googling for some info on this topic, but couldnt find anything concrete to base my opinion on. so heres the problem: I have a contract with Vodafone and for the first year of membership service was quite well and it lasted until late 2016. then some oddities started to occur: very late at night and in the morning speed is as it should be, both upload and download, ping also is ~30ms which is absolutely fine. however in the afternoon speed start to drop drastically, sometimes Im even unable to watch Youtube or watch internet tv. I have contacted Vodafone about this problem, theyre response was that Kabel Deutschland was bought by Vodafone and because of huge traffic of users speeds are dropping. All in all they assured that theyre working on a solution and bla bla bla, but nothing changed since now. I am a patient man, but even my patience is running out, because this is just absurd, Im paying money for service which does not serve as advertised and I want to leave Vodafone asap. Now I've started researching other internet providers, but information is scarce, not sure what to believe. Few of my friends are using O2, however theyre internet plans are limited to amount of gb's you can use per month and Im looking for stable, unlimited and fastest internet possible. So please my fellow harderstate germans, share your thoughts, opinions, experiences, any help is highly appreciated! :one:
MidnightDUB
State Citizen

Postby Kyro0 » 11 Jan 2017, 22:17

That's sadly a pretty common problem with Kabel Deutschland/Vodafone. When there are a lot of users online simultaneously, speeds tend to go down quite fast. And the only way to improve speeds is, as far as I know, to add more cables to their network... which takes a lot of time & is expensive as well. So they're probably not going to to do anything significant until speeds get really bad for everyone.

Maybe try to ask them if they could lower your contract fees because you're not getting the speeds they advertised... but that won't increase your speeds either obviously.

Regarding other providers: isn't Deutsche Telekom or 1und1 available where you live? I'm using Deusche Telekom myself and I rarely had any problems with them.
Kyro0
State Tourist

Postby DaHunger » 12 Jan 2017, 00:52

as kyro0 said it's a common problem with every provider, ask other ppl in your city which provider & plan they have and if they have any problems with it, you can't get a general answer who is good or bad because problems are mostly very local

we used vodafone too, after several years our internet was down or barly useable (loading any page took minutes) for 2 weeks, did some research and found out that there was a big problem with dsl in berlin (we lived very close to berlin) where it was like our situation for years with some time where it worked
we asked vodafone for a refund and got the whole month for free if I remember correct

also if there is a provider in your area who can give you a plan with same speed & price, tell your provider you're thinking about switching (even if you don't want because of a download limit or so) and they're usually offering you a better plan for the same price or a lower price on your existing one
we're doing this every time before the contract ends and pay only 75% or so
DaHunger (22)
State Native

Postby MidnightDUB » 12 Jan 2017, 19:24

thanks for your response guys! today I went to Vodafone again, told them I want to leave and change to other operator, however the guy working there assured me that it does not really matter if I switch to something else or not - problem will still persist. problem is very regional, for e.g. in my street connections suffer more rather than in suburban areas, because the latter has less traffic to handle. the thing we should do is to call and complain, even few times a day, because it is a known problem, but very little people are complaining. I guess thats german mentality "oh, but it works in the morning so its fine", but if we complain we might get a bit better chances to get new lines, stronger signal or whatever. the least thing they should do is to lower the cost of the service, but then again we should call again and again. what do you think guys? wouldnt I really benefit by switching to another provider?
MidnightDUB
State Citizen

Postby Roberthawkins » 12 Jan 2017, 19:46

There are two possibilties for this
1 It might be that vodaphones core infrastrucutre is overloaded in your area, wich i find hard to belive, gotta have some serious bad network designers, Vodaphone is BIG and should serious not have this problem

2 The cable structure, is old and overloaded, I doesent say what type of service you got? DSL; Coax, GPON fiber?
Say for example you got a DSL line, you quit Vodaphone DSL and sign for O2 DSL, O2 will still use the same cables, so if its bad/overloaded cables that wont fix the problem.
Roberthawkins (26)
State Senior Citizen

Postby DaHunger » 12 Jan 2017, 20:54

Roberthawkins:It might be that vodaphones core infrastrucutre is overloaded in your area, wich i find hard to belive, gotta have some serious bad network designers, Vodaphone is BIG and should serious not have this problem

you think they'd invest their money in a better infrastructure? :facepalm:
the big companies are slowly investing money in a new & better infrastructure as long as they get some financial support from the goverment because they didn't use/save money they earned during the last decade for upgrades
DaHunger (22)
State Native

Postby MarlboroMan » 14 Jan 2017, 11:53

MidnightDUB:thanks for your response guys! today I went to Vodafone again, told them I want to leave and change to other operator, however the guy working there assured me that it does not really matter if I switch to something else or not - problem will still persist. problem is very regional, for e.g. in my street connections suffer more rather than in suburban areas, because the latter has less traffic to handle. the thing we should do is to call and complain, even few times a day, because it is a known problem, but very little people are complaining. I guess thats german mentality "oh, but it works in the morning so its fine", but if we complain we might get a bit better chances to get new lines, stronger signal or whatever. the least thing they should do is to lower the cost of the service, but then again we should call again and again. what do you think guys? wouldn't I really benefit by switching to another provider?

The problem is as the others mentioned already, that you have internet via cable. I know a lot of people who have the same problem as you. As far as I know, this is simply the problem of the cable structure.

I dunno if complaining helps, because recently everything with Vodafone is going to shit (they prepare a mass lay-off of employees and it is heavily rumored that they have a serious problem with their backbone resulting in the overloaded network).

My advice would be to get a DSL contract, they are really steady as far as my experience goes, but mostly they cost a little bit more than the cable contracts.
Telekom or 1 & 1 would be the best alternatives here as they have no limited traffic. :)
MarlboroMan (25)
Global Mod

Postby Tomix » 14 Jan 2017, 13:01

DaHunger:
Roberthawkins:It might be that vodaphones core infrastrucutre is overloaded in your area, wich i find hard to belive, gotta have some serious bad network designers, Vodaphone is BIG and should serious not have this problem

you think they'd invest their money in a better infrastructure? :facepalm:
the big companies are slowly investing money in a new & better infrastructure as long as they get some financial support from the goverment because they didn't use/save money they earned during the last decade for upgrades

Vodafone is the worst on these. They have the shittiest business directive, and technological investments and execution (both B2B and B2C) across Europe. A colleague worked at Voda, and the stories I heard from him made me sure to never subscribe to any of their services :sick:
Tomix (26)
State Senior Citizen

Postby DjVero » 14 Jan 2017, 19:03

I only have Vodafone for my phone, not for internet, but I seriously wouldn't go for anything else. Never had any problems with their coverage and their service has always been top notch imo; instantly got another phone after I had told them the battery of my newly bought phone died all the time.
I don't know about their internet services though, but I will soon find out as Ziggo (which is my current provider) and Vodafone are going to fuse.
Mr. Revealed
DjVero (28)
Crab

Postby MidnightDUB » 14 Jan 2017, 20:14

Roberthawkins:2 The cable structure, is old and overloaded, I doesent say what type of service you got? DSL; Coax, GPON fiber?
Say for example you got a DSL line, you quit Vodaphone DSL and sign for O2 DSL, O2 will still use the same cables, so if its bad/overloaded cables that wont fix the problem.

basically this.
we use
50Mbit/s max. im Download
bis zu 50 Mbit/s im Download
bis zu 10 Mbit/s im Upload
Internet-Flat VDSL
Festnetz-Flat

im just very very sad and disappointed...
MidnightDUB
State Citizen

Postby MidnightDUB » 14 Jan 2017, 20:18

MarlboroMan:
MidnightDUB:thanks for your response guys! today I went to Vodafone again, told them I want to leave and change to other operator, however the guy working there assured me that it does not really matter if I switch to something else or not - problem will still persist. problem is very regional, for e.g. in my street connections suffer more rather than in suburban areas, because the latter has less traffic to handle. the thing we should do is to call and complain, even few times a day, because it is a known problem, but very little people are complaining. I guess thats german mentality "oh, but it works in the morning so its fine", but if we complain we might get a bit better chances to get new lines, stronger signal or whatever. the least thing they should do is to lower the cost of the service, but then again we should call again and again. what do you think guys? wouldn't I really benefit by switching to another provider?

The problem is as the others mentioned already, that you have internet via cable. I know a lot of people who have the same problem as you. As far as I know, this is simply the problem of the cable structure.

I dunno if complaining helps, because recently everything with Vodafone is going to shit (they prepare a mass lay-off of employees and it is heavily rumored that they have a serious problem with their backbone resulting in the overloaded network).

My advice would be to get a DSL contract, they are really steady as far as my experience goes, but mostly they cost a little bit more than the cable contracts.
Telekom or 1 & 1 would be the best alternatives here as they have no limited traffic. :)

my connection is through telephone cable, so it is DSL
MidnightDUB
State Citizen

Postby MidnightDUB » 14 Jan 2017, 20:19

DjVero:I only have Vodafone for my phone, not for internet, but I seriously wouldn't go for anything else. Never had any problems with their coverage and their service has always been top notch imo; instantly got another phone after I had told them the battery of my newly bought phone died all the time.
I don't know about their internet services though, but I will soon find out as Ziggo (which is my current provider) and Vodafone are going to fuse.

im using Vodafone for my phone aswell and service is top notch, nothing to complain about here :) however theyre fest netz is the problem..
MidnightDUB
State Citizen

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles