Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

UK Hardcore, Industrial Hardcore or something else?

Postby handy » 23 Mar 2016, 18:05

So I've been trying to figure out some time what exact sub-gernes tracks like Igneon System & Switch Technique - Anger Management, Deathmachine - Modify, The DJ Producer - Something (Even) Stronger and Detest - Shotgun are? I've so far pinned them as some sort of Industrial Hardcore, but I've seen some say it's UK Hardcore, but as far as I know, UK Hardcore is the modern Happy Hardcore, which is nothing like the tracks earlier mentioned. So, what is it exactly? :?
handy (19)
State Newcomer

Postby MarlboroMan » 23 Mar 2016, 18:12

UK Hardcore has different meanings, it depends on who you ask. Some people say that the Happy Hardcore from Gammer, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown etc. is UK Hardcore. I guess it was/is pretty famous in the UK and most of the producers are from the UK. I just call it Happy Hardcore.

On the other side you have people that label Uptempo Hardcore from the producers you mentioned as UK Hardcore (same reasons as above, most producer come from the UK and afaik it is pretty famous there as well). Mostly it is Hardcore which is faster then Hardcore/Gabber from Holland and in many cases the producers work with Breakbeat elements. I just label it as Uptempo Hardcore.
MarlboroMan (25)
Global Mod

Postby handy » 23 Mar 2016, 20:25

MarlboroMan:UK Hardcore has different meanings, it depends on who you ask. Some people say that the Happy Hardcore from Gammer, Darren Styles, Hixxy, Scott Brown etc. is UK Hardcore. I guess it was/is pretty famous in the UK and most of the producers are from the UK. I just call it Happy Hardcore.

On the other side you have people that label Uptempo Hardcore from the producers you mentioned as UK Hardcore (same reasons as above, most producer come from the UK and afaik it is pretty famous there as well). Mostly it is Hardcore which is faster then Hardcore/Gabber from Holland and in many cases the producers work with Breakbeat elements. I just label it as Uptempo Hardcore.

Hmm, I see, but I thought Uptempo was another thing itself too, like tracks from Partyraiser, Andy The Core, F. Noize etc.
handy (19)
State Newcomer

Postby Morbid_Angel » 23 Mar 2016, 20:42

Exact same elements are involved though, handy. But if it bothers your subconscious just call one thing uptempo and the other uk uptempo. Personally I can't really hear any major differences - both being low-tier terror anyway.
Morbid_Angel (33)
State Native

Postby hutzdani » 24 Mar 2016, 00:16

UK Hardcore is usually associated with "Happy Hardcore" or as I like to call it "shit tracks with some shit MC talking all over it" Darren Styles E.c.t

If your considering The DJ Producer and Detest and such it fits somewhere in between Hardcore Drum & Bass and Crossbreed for those more versed in the Mainland europe scene.

Its Rare to find what people generalise UK hardcore as mixed in a line up with the Dutch style, some UK artists have melded into this style moving away from the generic UK hardcore stereotype which frankly alot of it has a bad name and is usually overlooked or skipped completely by people who follow the scene in mainland europe.

It breaks down into some messy Sub Genres however :

Mainstream HC - Think your MOH stuff
Industrial HC - Think more Enzyme / ISR and mainstream lables sub lables
Crossbreed - This is your Prospect / Outside Agency kinda stuff
Drum & Bass - Eye D / Hidden / Dj Producer / Detest
Terror - Rotterdam TC's E.c.t
Speedcore - Noize Kick / Speed Freak /Drokz / Akira / Hellfish
Noize - Don't really have any examples as I don't really venture there.

Then you have new styles melding in like Neurofunk and Fracture4's new Emocore as some lovingly named it, lots of these generalisations can be disputed however as artists have releases on other lables that have another direction ( you could argue that some of the DJ Producers stuff is pure industrial - hell even his track "Modus Operandi" is better represented as crossbreed.

Who knows what the fuck stuff really is / should be, genre boundary is bending like Brussles opening up the EU.

Fuck it if you like it you can possibly just condense it all down to :

Mainstream
Crossbreed
Industrial
Speedcore
Terror
Early HC

But then what the fuck do you call this :

IDM / Noise / Industrial ?????
hutzdani
State Citizen

Postby kraczk » 24 Mar 2016, 02:32

hutzdani:But then what the fuck do you call this :

Mostly noisy industrial hardcore with some hints of breakcore. Armageddon Project and Promo have been making lots of similar tracks in early '00s, not that extreme though.

I think if you sped this Raziel track to about 190 bpm it would fit so well into DJ Producer/Deathmachine/Hellfish themed sets.
kraczk
State Senior Citizen

Postby Maximumraver » 24 Mar 2016, 06:14

hutzdani:Mainstream HC - Think your MOH stuff
Industrial HC - Think more Enzyme / ISR and mainstream lables sub lables
Crossbreed - This is your Prospect / Outside Agency kinda stuff
Drum & Bass - Eye D / Hidden / Dj Producer / Detest
Terror - Rotterdam TC's E.c.t
Speedcore - Noize Kick / Speed Freak /Drokz / Akira / Hellfish
Noize - Don't really have any examples as I don't really venture there.

Ophidian As Raziel

Damn, I had this long ass reply, and pushed the wrong button, now it's gone :'( I'll do a short version then

That youtube link = Industrial Hardcore/Industrial

"Industrial HC - Think more Enzyme" <- Correct, but Enzyme X, not the main label

The DJ Producer - UK Hardcore (among other things)
Detest - Crossbreed/Hardcore
RTC - lol not even close to Terror regardless of their name, Terror = Noisekick, SRB, Drokz, The Vizitor, Deterrent Man etc.
Speedcore - all wrong expect for Noisekick, Drokz = Terror, Akira = Terror & UK Hardcore, The Speed Freak = very unique and hard to place but generally Frenchcore, Hellfish = definitely UK Hardcore.

Noize = I don't now man, Merzbow and stuff lol, not my area of expertise,

Also, D&B doesn't actually belong in Hardcore, if you had a visualization of genres with bubbles in bubbles or something, Hardcore would be a big one with Frenchcore, Early Hardcore, Terror, Industrial Hardcore etc. in it, D&B would be another bubble entirely (Probably called Breaks or somethng, with D&B, Jungle, Liquid etc. in it, but again, not my area of expertise).

Edit: Speedcore (and Splittercore and Extratone) would be: Noisekick, Kobaryo, Kurwastyle Project, Loffciamcore etc. Nothing under 300~ish bpm is Speedcore. Splittercore and Extratone are generally "Speedcore but even faster".
Maximumraver (28)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles