Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

#YearOfTheGear - Exclusive Interview With Gearbox Digital

Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby Nightstalker » 13 Jan 2015, 15:37

Source: CoreMag Online

2014 was an incredible for Gearbox Digital and 2015 looks set to be just as exciting with the promise that this IS the Year Of The Gear - turns out this was no false statement. With both Rebellion AND Unresolved hitting the Top 10 on hardstyle.com for the first time this week, it's safe to say that Gearbox really have shifted up a gear already. Not only that, they're soon to release details of some INSANE new artist signings to the label! As huge supporters, Core felt it only right to catch up with head honcho, Phil Macdonald to get a round up of the past 12 months and find out what's in store in the near future. Read it ALL right here!!

Hey Phil! :) It has been an amazing year for Gearbox, can you tell us what some of the highlights were in 2014?
Honestly, unless your readers have a good few hours to spare, then there are just too many highlights. What struck me as the most important development in our growth was the interest that has been growing amongst the top names in the industry though. Guys like B-Front, High Voltage, Titan, Adaro, Activator, Alpha Twins, Luna, Mark EG, Kutski and so many other names. The guys who made you fall in love with this style of music, the guys you dropped your first pills to, and the same guys you listened to religiously to hear the best new tunes, are now the guys who are dropping the new tunes from your label..it has just been completely overwhelming!

The album was obviously a massive step forward for us and a really important statement that we can mix it up with the biggest and best labels in the world. The feedback from the album from both fans and artists alike has been utterly sensational and really made all the hard work totally worth it.

And the album gave us a chance to sign many fantastic artists exclusively to Gearbox. Guys like Luminite, Rebelion and Unresolved are gonna be massive artists in the future, and it brings me immense joy to be the platform where they start their careers.

Top all that off with a beautiful 2 day Gearbox Weekender bender with a few of my favourite people in the world (Splinta, Rufio, Ric Henderson, Sykesy and Re-Tech) and a Gearbox Label Showcase night in Holland, and it's clear to see it's been an enjoyable and massively successful year. Even then, we are about to surpass that success in 2015, which is the YearOfTheGear :)

Which artists do you think we should be keeping our eyes and ears on in 2015 who aren't with Gearbox?
There's a few nice artists coming out just now. In fact, we will be doing an episode of Gearbox later this month to showcase the new talent in the scene. Making an appearance on that show will be Primefire, Digital Mindz and Riiho. We're also gonna be having The Anarchist on in February and we are also massive fans of Thyron, who was kind enough to write a fantastic review of the Mechanical Warfare album and play alongside Luminite at the Gearbox Event in Holland.

And what about Gearbox artists?
Honestly, watch them all! We have been working together as a team to try and bring the best out in every artist and the quality is really getting to new heights for us with every release. The guys who I have no doubt will get some major support from the biggest artists in the world are Luminite and Unresolved. These guys have some serious talent and it's an honour to be representing them. I'd also expect Rebelion and Malice to pick up a lot of support in 2015. We have some very exciting new artists to announce in 2015 and you can also expect a bigger and better overall quality from Ironite and Adventum.

We have heard that Gearbox may be releasing some different styles of hardstyle in the near future. Can you give us any more information about this at all?
Well, the story is that we had a demo sent to us from an artist who is usually a euphoric producer. It was a really nice demo and we have been looking to get this guy started with us, but whilst we've been working to get a first release out there, he had been sending me some of his euphoric stuff. And two track in particular just melted my heart and I began to weep like that heroin addict boxer who was on that reality TV Programme. You know, the one who wailed out this long winded meow like a suicidal cat who's skipped his meds? Anyway, after wiping away the tears, I realised that this guy had talent beyond anything I'd signed on the label before, so it made sense to promote it, and try and find more artists who can bring another dimension to the label. We certainly found some seriously talented artists as well. Some really beautiful stuff coming out on the euphoric side in 2015.

Shifting slightly to Gearbox Blue... With growing support from huge names in the scene, what future releases do you have for us in 2015?
Honestly, Gearbox blue is a troublesome one because support for this style of music is dying out extremely quick, which is such a shame because hard dance music can cover such a wide spectrum of sounds and creativity can really be absolutely maxed out between the bpms of 140 and 150. We're gonna continue pushing some really beautiful techy goodness as per usual, but we are also gonna try and bring something new to the scene, which will tie in with the Qult sound that has unfortunately gone from being super cool, to being super cheesey in my eyes. If we can try to pull back on the Qult sound and offer them something darker, techier, and with more rhythm and soul, I reckon we could have a recipe for something spectacular, and when you have artists like Side E-Fect, Mike Steventon, Splinta, VtheKid, Bangerz and Masherz, The Engineer, Vontek, Re-Tech as well as a host of others, you know you can make an impression. We just hope that more budding producers realise the potential of sounds within this genre.

In your own words, describe how you see 2015
In 2015, you can expect a shift in sound when it comes to raw hardstyle. There is a growing consensus that the typical screech, dark atmosphere breakdowns, deep bellowing male voices, and hardcore styled kicks, has been totally overused, and you're gonna see an industry which is always thirsty for new movements and new sounds, get parched and look for something different. We intend to be at the forefront, leading the way in a new and exciting and more melodic and technical sound in hardstyle. The same can be said for hard dance, we ourselves, need to branch out, and try and develop a new and exciting sound which will take hard dance back to where it ought to be.

How else would I describe 2015? Well, there is no other way than #YearOfTheGear!!!

Thanks Phil - always a pleasure. Some amazing insights here, I wonder if any of our Core readers can make a guess as to your new signings?! ;)

You may also want to keep up to date with what's going on (it happens at such a rate of knots with this label!). Here's how:

https://www.facebook.com/GearboxDigital?fref=ts

AUSTRIA (Not Australia )
There is always time for SCHNITZEL & BEER!!!
Nightstalker (28)
Beer Mod

Postby DaHunger » 13 Jan 2015, 15:58

We just hope that more budding producers realise the potential of sounds within this genre.

yes, please more Harddance/Geqarbox Blue :fist:
it's really sad that it's dying so fast, I feel like it lost 50% of it's artists/sound over night :(
DaHunger (23)
State Native

Postby xeLL » 13 Jan 2015, 17:16

Gearbox keeps pushing out those talents every year. Definitely deserved my vote for best label and best radioshow this year. Also the Gearbox Blue stuff is insanely great and I can't get enough of it, deserves more recognition indeed.
xeLL
State Senior Citizen

Postby Gearbox » 13 Jan 2015, 19:00

DaHunger:
We just hope that more budding producers realise the potential of sounds within this genre.

yes, please more Harddance/Geqarbox Blue :fist:
it's really sad that it's dying so fast, I feel like it lost 50% of it's artists/sound over night :(

xeLL:Gearbox keeps pushing out those talents every year. Definitely deserved my vote for best label and best radioshow this year. Also the Gearbox Blue stuff is insanely great and I can't get enough of it, deserves more recognition indeed.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the kind words! (L)
Gearbox
Label

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles