Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Explain Hardstyle "Mixing" To Me

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby Reverse Ghost » 13 May 2013, 05:02

Shadow Interaction:
Reverse Ghost:
He may not be consistent in productions, but Dov's mixing is still there if you want to use him as a modern example. Hell listen to some of his older sets. PM me for his sets at Q-Base 2005, Sensation Black, and Qlimax all of that year and you'll hear some proper Hardstyle mixing, all three of the sets having some nu-style from the time.
In the one I just posted, some of the transitions are pretty good and the one between Summer Of Hardstyle and De Grote Dikke Basplaat sounds like something you're looking for. Skip to 1 hour 7 minutes 40 seconds

The Prophet @ Defqon.1 2009 _O_ one of his best sets ever imo

http://lsdb.nl/set/19506/the-prophet-de ... 06-09.html

I really wish I knew more performances with good mixing off-hand. Some Zany sets have solid mixing as well, especially of the 2006-2009 range
Reverse Ghost (24)
State Legend

Postby maschine » 17 May 2013, 05:13

timdawes:the thing is, there are good and bad djs. technoboy has always been an intro/outro mixer for example. and ppl like max enforcer IMO have always been a good dj. nothing to do with the songs.

And yes and no, today i tend to disagree, because todays hardstyle tracks have quite strict structure (wich is opposite when comes to older hardstyle) of the track and pretty standart intro for mixing - 2 cycles of 32 beats and then small break or smnth and mid intro wich usualy is 2-4 cycles of 32 beats wich leads to case that mixing without a cut is just inevitable :)

Now imagine real time situation, you mix 2 hardstyle tracks, on the first one that is played you want to mix in during second verse wich is 2 cycles of 32 beats (wich is pretty common for years) with a track wich has 2x32 and then stop. So going to cut to the breakdown is just inevitable.

Another situation, lets say track verse is longer 3x32 or you want to mix in during the outro wich usualy tends to be longer then 4x32. But the track you want to mix in after 2x32 stops for 1/2x32 (16 beats) and a cycle begins, so what does that mean? both tracks structure's are out of sync, mix doesnt sound good.

Aswel you should take a note, that today's hardstyle bassdrum is quite complex and the bass really goes very near the punch, so if you want to mix in the track not with intro but with mid intro and if the key is different from the one that is being played on the monitors, you will gonna start hearing that the tracks just sound ugly :) and in such case even cuting the bass on eq doesnt help, because there are a midbass, mid and high frequencies (they give the crunch) on the bassdrum so it still gets accross the way of another track's bassdrum that is being played :)

Ive spoked with expierienced djs in hardstyle scene that are comming from early days and basicly all of them tend to say that today when comes to mix hardstyle, its mostly about the timing :)
Last edited by maschine on 17 May 2013, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
maschine
Producer

Postby DjPractice » 17 May 2013, 05:38

Reverse Ghost:
Shadow Interaction:
Reverse Ghost:
He may not be consistent in productions, but Dov's mixing is still there if you want to use him as a modern example. Hell listen to some of his older sets. PM me for his sets at Q-Base 2005, Sensation Black, and Qlimax all of that year and you'll hear some proper Hardstyle mixing, all three of the sets having some nu-style from the time.
In the one I just posted, some of the transitions are pretty good and the one between Summer Of Hardstyle and De Grote Dikke Basplaat sounds like something you're looking for. Skip to 1 hour 7 minutes 40 seconds

The Prophet @ Defqon.1 2009 _O_ one of his best sets ever imo

http://lsdb.nl/set/19506/the-prophet-de ... 06-09.html

I really wish I knew more performances with good mixing off-hand. Some Zany sets have solid mixing as well, especially of the 2006-2009 range

ahhh Zany is still probably the most technically brilliant hardstyle DJ i've seen (and I get to see him again tomorrow)

ALthough, not so much when he is hungover from the night before (ala Q dance tour to Melb 2008) hahah

Isaac also used to be amazing but now he doesnt do anything fancy. but get him playing early!! Layering, scratching, chopping, the works <3
DJ PRACTICE - Playing weird shit since 2004
http://www.facebook.com/djpracticeofficial
Keep up to date with my new mixes, gigs, tracks and remixes :)
DjPractice
State Legend

Postby Shadow Interaction » 21 May 2013, 22:41

re-uploaded that prophet set because of a request

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/35925770/file.html

check it guys, it's a great liveset! good mixing and track selection
Shadow Interaction (30)
Producer

Postby SCH » 21 May 2013, 23:27

Luna>all else, I've never heard a bad transition by him!
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (26)
Producer

Postby Reverse Ghost » 22 May 2013, 05:48

And again Pavo WAS the best, imho. His way of sampling tracks in the middle of another and his mixing style which was very dynamic was quite a thing to listen to.
Reverse Ghost (24)
State Legend

Postby Vicious » 22 May 2013, 06:22

Shadow Interaction:re-uploaded that prophet set because of a request

My gf was obsessed with that set, Has that Rebirth/Cafe del mar tune. Did that ever get a free release or anything btw?
Vicious
State Hero

Postby Shadow Interaction » 22 May 2013, 22:53

Vicious:
Shadow Interaction:re-uploaded that prophet set because of a request

My gf was obsessed with that set, Has that Rebirth/Cafe del mar tune. Did that ever get a free release or anything btw?

at the time every track from that set was quite fresh, but more amazingly is the way it is mixed. the set just has a straight line of energy, nothing fashionish about it. just pure energy, very entertaining for the hearing

i don't think rebirth was ever given away for free tho... but my religion and don't touch me were definately released ! very nice tunes
Shadow Interaction (30)
Producer

Postby Mortis » 16 Jul 2013, 23:31

I'm going to try mixing hardstyle myself over the next few days and I've been wondering how different it is to mix. Judging by what I've read in this thread it sounds like it's going to be a challenge :dance:
Mortis
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles