Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Is 3 or even 4 CDJ's need for Hardstyle mixing?

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby tranceology » 29 Jan 2013, 06:28

Wanted to get the thoughts from Hardstyle DJ's. I know 3 or 4 work well with other styles of music but how about with Hardstyle, is it worth buying 3 or 4 CDJ's, why or why not?
tranceology
State Newcomer

Postby Spear » 29 Jan 2013, 08:00

I have three and only use the third one when I'm doing special tricks like sampling or mixing over acapellas.
Spear (29)
Producer

Postby Digital Audio Tape » 29 Jan 2013, 08:05

Spear:I have three and only use the third one when I'm doing special tricks like sampling or mixing over acapellas.

my idea exactly. but imo modern hardstyle (nustyle or whatchamacallit) isn't suitable for the use of acapellas and stuff like that. i can imagine playing some nice acapellas over an early track, btw there actually were a lot of acapellas and loops on hardstyle vinyls back in the days. but i can't see it working well with stuff produced after 2008
Brennan Heart:It's called hardstyle for good reason. It's hard and it's style

aw yiss! My new shiny facebook page!
Digital Audio Tape (29)
Crab

Postby equinox » 29 Jan 2013, 10:20

For normal mixing 2 are enough. If you wanna get creative and make mash-ups/add acapellas on the spot it's good to have an extra player (or 2). I also think scratching should be used in hardstyle. Wouldn't it be cool, if there was a DJ making some scratch moves on top of the reverse bassline?
equinox (26)
State Citizen

Postby Jonas » 29 Jan 2013, 14:04

equinox:For normal mixing 2 are enough. If you wanna get creative and make mash-ups/add acapellas on the spot it's good to have an extra player (or 2). I also think scratching should be used in hardstyle. Wouldn't it be cool, if there was a DJ making some scratch moves on top of the reverse bassline?

Kutski is doing it sometimes :)
Nothing to add, everything you guys said, is what I was going to say :)
I'm just here for the music, man
Jonas (20)
State Hero

Postby UNIFITE » 29 Jan 2013, 14:06

2 is good, 3 is better, 4 is for DJs like Isaac... Enough said.. _O_
UNIFITE (33)
Producer

Postby John Cove » 29 Jan 2013, 14:10

I bought 2 Pioneer CDJ-400 for 600€ each, it would have been stupid to spend another 600 only for using acapellas and making mash-ups etc.
John Cove (29)
Crab

Postby NEKA » 29 Jan 2013, 14:54

It isn't necessary to have 3 or 4 CDJ's, you can easily mix with two to get a really good mix if you know what you are doing. But abou the FX thing: "People are here to listen to music, not to hear DJ's tricks, that why most of the hardstyle sets are boring, if you aren't counting tracks." IMO, hardstyle DJ's should use lot more FX. So far what I can tell from mainstream artist's skills:

"mix track A with B, add a flanger to buildups, repeat, end the set either in roll or just unpausing, done."

IMO, it works, but it's boring as hell. Although hardstyle is a genre which doesn't need any bigger sort of skills or tricks to mix (only beatmatching and harmony between tracks) it would be really cool to see some really skillful FX plyaing and scratch-playing. Something like Kutski or M4SONIC or Skrillex (yes, Skrillex's way of mixing three or four tracks in few climaxes is insane) .
NEKA (23)
Producer

Postby Raver » 29 Jan 2013, 15:04

equinox:scratching should be used in hardstyle

Well in former days it was.
Raver
State Celebrity

Postby tranceology » 29 Jan 2013, 15:42

I have one more question. and thanks for the replies.

I'm not 100% sure on a 3rd CDJ yet but I have 2 choices I can make but they have to be dmade soon. SHould I get a 60 inch table and line up 2 cdj on left of mixer and one on right. or get a 48 inch table and and put a spacetek stand for a cdj behind one othe the cdj's? What would be more user friendly, comfortable etc...
tranceology
State Newcomer

Postby Digital Audio Tape » 29 Jan 2013, 18:14

tranceology:I have one more question. and thanks for the replies.

I'm not 100% sure on a 3rd CDJ yet but I have 2 choices I can make but they have to be dmade soon. SHould I get a 60 inch table and line up 2 cdj on left of mixer and one on right. or get a 48 inch table and and put a spacetek stand for a cdj behind one othe the cdj's? What would be more user friendly, comfortable etc...

it depends on what you want to do more. if you're into scratching, then get a longer table. if you want to use the third deck for acapellas and mashups, then i'd recommend a stand :p as simple as that
Brennan Heart:It's called hardstyle for good reason. It's hard and it's style

aw yiss! My new shiny facebook page!
Digital Audio Tape (29)
Crab

Postby tranceology » 29 Jan 2013, 19:08

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for (48 w/stand)... I wasn't over looking something. I went with the stand.
tranceology
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles