Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby nikkita » 22 Apr 2011, 17:24

On my birthday, no less :P
sic transit gloria mundi
nikkita
Vocalist

Postby The Convicted » 22 Apr 2011, 17:50

Hope no one asked these :P

How often travelling into other countries?
Do you have any favourite vocalist voice (not considered yourself)? (I think your one is the most beautiful voice what I've ever heard in hardstyle music :+)
Youtube | Facebook | Mixcloud

out of the womb and into the void, I wanna try but I get annoyed
The Convicted (21)
Global Mod

Postby nikkita » 22 Apr 2011, 17:58

Hi Parallectic,

1. I try to go once per year... I hope to be in Europe for 3 months this summer.
2. Hmmm a favourite vocalist --I really love the voice of Kimiko, and I think another up and comer to watch for is Zanshi. Ran-D has an insanely sexy voice too. Hehe. Outside of dance music... I have waaaay too many favourites!!
sic transit gloria mundi
nikkita
Vocalist

Postby The Convicted » 22 Apr 2011, 18:07

And which countries are your main targets? :P :)

The Convicted (21)
Global Mod

Postby momze » 28 Apr 2011, 15:33

have you ever sang or said some text that you didn't find comfortable saying or singing doing a track?
momze (23)
State Citizen

Postby nikkita » 28 Apr 2011, 18:44

I write pretty much everything I record... but in the odd time I get the text from the producer, if I don't like it, I rewrite it.

If a producer hands me something I don't feel comfortable reading, or they say "I want you to do a sexy/slut kind of voice" I simply say "hell no" and turn it down. =)
sic transit gloria mundi
nikkita
Vocalist

Postby Prozel » 28 Apr 2011, 18:45

nikkita:If a producer hands me something I don't feel comfortable reading, or they say "I want you to do a sexy/slut kind of voice" I simply say "hell no" and turn it down. =)

Haha guess Jens O is out of your league then ^^
Prozel (22)
State Celebrity

Postby Smdeee » 10 May 2011, 18:39

honestly, i think your voice is perfect for all genres, but on a serious note :D

have you always wanted to be in the music scene? or is it something that came along
Smdeee (24)
State Newcomer

Postby nikkita » 11 May 2011, 03:26

I've always had a strong "musical" background (I was in choir for a long ass time, but quit in favour of voice acting, and now I balance voice acting with music).

Music was just trying something new -- I was already a hardcore fan for years before, and there was a market for it, so I kept going with it. :)
sic transit gloria mundi
nikkita
Vocalist

Postby The Convicted » 12 May 2011, 22:37

What was the hardest period in your vocalist carrier?

The Convicted (21)
Global Mod

Postby nikkita » 13 May 2011, 19:43

Honestly, I'd have to say I'm still in that "hardest period".

I think because I'm sort of the first of my "type" to do this, there's a lot of misunderstandings on etiquette. I outlined in previous posts about disrespect from some producers. They don't see your value, in what you can contribute... or they try to "keep you for themselves" and give you ultimatums rather than giving you the option of whether you want to stay exclusive to them.

Ah yes, and let's not forget the double standards... I remember a year ago I applied to have an artist profile on Partyflock. They told me they did not consider me a "real artist".... funnily enough, they didn't answer my question on how someone with two CD players in their bedroom is considered more of an artist than someone actively releasing. Senseless bullshit.

In the beginning, I made a lot of tracks that went on to become hits, but my name was left out of the title. This severely affected me, because those were major sources of promotion. As a result, I didn't quite become the "house hold name", and nobody took me seriously as a stage artist.

Now-a-days, I have the pull and respect where I can pick and choose where my name will appear, whether it is an anthem or working with a top artist. That was one major privilege that I worked hard to earn, and it took a good 3 - 4 years to get there. Luckily, now other vocalists can benefit from this.

Then, of course, transitioning to a stage artist. It's frustrating, because people kind of sit around with thumbs up their asses, overlooking you despite the fact you have made it quite apparent that you want to do stage shows/etc. Then you get the whole: "well, if you're in the area we'll see what we can do". It's these sort of things that are frustrating to deal with, especially when you have some of the biggest names in the scene requesting to work live with you, and have you put on the line-up.

Or, you're contacted, groomed, hyped up, and built up for a booking for months, only for them to turn around and not book you entirely for some bullshit excuse that they could have easily told you ahead of time.

It's expensive to pay out of your own pocket for uncertain things. In fact, it costs me thousands of dollars to simply stay out there for a month (I did that twice). For non-paying work, or uncertain/unofficial bookings, it's a severe blow to the financials... not only does it take a year of saving, working a full-time job (I was working 3 jobs, including my music), but it cuts in to music time. And at the end of it all, if you come back without making any money, you start to think back like "yeah, I could have taken that $7,000 and put it towards a studio upgrade, or I could have put it towards paying off my car".

However, for an agency or a label, it's pennies. They cover your expenses, and then they can put you to work 2 or 3 days a week at the label, or place you on line-ups and take a cut from your fee. The whole point of the %% they take away from you is mostly to reinvest back in to the artist.

When you look at things that way, and you look that they will happily develop some other random person, all expenses paid, you kind of take a look at things and doubt yourself. It's a huge demotivator, and a major slap to your self-esteem because it sort of starts to come across as: "they don't want ME", and you take it a bit personal. It's really, really hard not to.
sic transit gloria mundi
nikkita
Vocalist

Postby MKN » 13 May 2011, 19:56

nikkita:Honestly, I'd have to say I'm still in that "hardest period".
Ah yes, and let's not forget the double standards... I remember a year ago I applied to have an artist profile on Partyflock. They told me they did not consider me a "real artist".... funnily enough, they didn't answer my question on how someone with two CD players in their bedroom is considered more of an artist than someone actively releasing. Senseless bullshit.

lol very good point :) should do vocals on that kinda like blutoinium boy - play this song but better!
fancy a collab? ;D heheh
MKN (23)
Producer

Postby The Convicted » 13 May 2011, 20:20

Wow, thank you for your voluminious answer, you wrote a lot of interesting things for me! :)

The Convicted (21)
Global Mod

Postby Dekkaz » 22 May 2011, 03:50

when you did some vocals for Art of Fighters did you find out if they wear those masks all the time or is it just for live acts? :p
Dekkaz
State Senior Citizen

Postby Maximumraver » 24 May 2011, 19:01

nikkita:
- What are you all-time favourite songs ? :D

The Pitcher - I Just Can't Stop
Radium & Lenny Dee - Headbanger Boogie

_O_ Amazing tracks (L)

Wow, you almost never hear someone mention that one :o +1 internets for you! :whoop:
Maximumraver (28)
Producer