Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Theracords Q&A #5: DJ Thera

Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby atomicoz » 02 Jan 2012, 01:08

Image Official Website Image Discogs Image Facebook Image Twitter Image Lyrics

We've reached the final week of the series and we'll end big with the label owner hmself!
Ask Thera your questions

I'd say Thera (Pieter Heijnen) doesn't need much of an introduction. He was the 'heart' in Brennan & Heart before they split in 2005. He's also had other projects. In 2008 he does a wordplay on his former Heart alias and starts producing as Thera under his newly started Theracords label, which he gives his full focus.

Since then he's continued on his path to promote more diversity and has signed artists like the ones we've previously had Q&A's with here on Harderstate: Geck-o, Wavolizer, Phrantic and Catatonic Overload. In 2009 he also started the Therabyte sublabel promoting "original and experimental harddance music", with artists like Tiifa and Gatty.

But he doesn't just spot good talent; He's produced lots of bangers and played loads of parties in 2011 alone, like The Qontinent in Belgium, Syndicate in Germany, and Dance Valley and Ground Zero in Holland. For Ground Zero he made both the anthem ("Live Hard Now") and Theracords had their own area.

Releases in 2011
ImageImageImageImage

Theracords Allstars playing (Thera, Degos & Re-Done, Geck-o and Catatonic Overload

To better show his endless supply of energy and the presence he has on stage, check out this clip I found on Youtube from Hardnation that I've been waiting to show haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzotwfZrCw

Ask your questions by replying here and he'll respond when he can!
atomicoz (28)
Founder

Postby Maximumraver » 02 Jan 2012, 01:13

This one's gonna be hard, but I'll try to come up with a good question :)
Maximumraver (28)
Producer

Postby icey » 02 Jan 2012, 01:32

Will there be more collabs from your label or Artists with the Spoontech label in future?? The remix e.p was fantastic from Wavolizer & CO2.

Whats your take on the term 'rawstyle'

You spoke highly of Brian M vs Mcbunn at Bionic(especially the skills of McBunn). Did you chat with him about maybe working with him/them in future?

When you play Bionic again, how many drinks do you owe me lol :rofl:
icey (29)
State Hero

Postby DjThera » 02 Jan 2012, 11:07

Signing in for duty!

To better show his endless supply of energy and the presence he has on stage

I like the Fusion of Dance aftermovie too ;)
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 02 Jan 2012, 11:13

icey:Will there be more collabs from your label or Artists with the Spoontech label in future?? The remix e.p was fantastic from Wavolizer & CO2.

Who knows! Maybe so, maybe not. At least we signed Prefix & Density to Theracords and they started off at Spoontech :D

icey:Whats your take on the term 'rawstyle'

I don't really like to label hardstyle although I totally think its a very very wide genre. For me everything between hardtrance and (industrial) hardcore can be named hardstyle and there are a million different kicks to make for instance. I do know you really dislike the type of hardstyle people keep on referring to as rawstyle, because in your opinion it's not hard. I'd like to say to that to remember that it is YOUR own opinion, others may think differently. Everyone has an own taste when it comes to music and respect to that is very highly appreciated. Furthermore the term 'rawstyle' hasn't got the word hard in it right? So should it be hard then? :+

icey:You spoke highly of Brian M vs Mcbunn at Bionic(especially the skills of McBunn). Did you chat with him about maybe working with him/them in future?

It depends a little what they will produce. With a collab I already want to have an idea what will happen when you combine my own style of producing with the other artists. Although I do see myself working together with them, they are great guys

icey:When you play Bionic again, how many drinks do you owe me lol :rofl:

Everytime you whined about rawstyle, I deducted one, so now you actually owe me 30 drinks :rofl:
DjThera
Producer+

Postby Romanian Hardstyler » 02 Jan 2012, 11:32

_O_ maxim respect for your music _O_
and now a question: It's possible in 2012 to make some collabs with famous hardstyle dj's like Zatox or something
like that?
and a second one: which are your favourite hardstyle dj's and who make you to start to produce hardstyle music?
Romanian Hardstyler (24)
State Celebrity

Postby Orbi » 02 Jan 2012, 11:37

Pieter, please somehow find a way to bring yourself and the entire Theracords/byte crew down to Australia again! Preferably after May when I can actually go to events, ta. :P

On a slightly more serious note, are there any amazing tracks (not necessarily yours or on Theracords) that you think have been really underrated or that people have largely ignored over the year(s)?

Oh, one more question. How did you get into the hardstyle scene, how did you meet Fabian, etc?
Orbi
State Native

Postby DjThera » 02 Jan 2012, 11:47

Romanian Hardstyler:_O_ maxim respect for your music _O_

Thanks for supporting :fist:

Romanian Hardstyler:and now a question: It's possible in 2012 to make some collabs with famous hardstyle dj's like Zatox or something like that?

I actually want to do a little bit more solo work in 2012, but I do have some things planned collab wise :) Way too early to tell though

Romanian Hardstyler:and a second one: which are your favourite hardstyle dj's and who make you to start to produce hardstyle music?

Obviously I could name all the Theracords/byte artists now, but dj's like Mark EG and Proteus are very inspirational for me.

I was always drawn to produce music, I can even recall playing on a synthesizer when I was like three and recording that on an old tape recorder haha!
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 02 Jan 2012, 11:51

Orbi:Pieter, please somehow find a way to bring yourself and the entire Theracords/byte crew down to Australia again! Preferably after May when I can actually go to events, ta. :P

Haha, I would love that, but the thing is, it is actually organisations that have to book an artist in stead of the other way around, so us artists can only hope xD

Orbi:On a slightly more serious note, are there any amazing tracks (not necessarily yours or on Theracords) that you think have been really underrated or that people have largely ignored over the year(s)?

Well if you look at some Top 100 lists of 2011 I still think the tracks we've been releasing are a bit underrated.

Orbi:Oh, one more question. How did you get into the hardstyle scene, how did you meet Fabian, etc?

The 'etc' part makes it hard to answer haha! Anyway back in 1998 I went to a club just over the border in Germany where Cosmic Gate were residents and ever since I heard Fire Wire, I'm hooked!

Fabian also grew up here in the north of Limburg and we went to the same school
DjThera
Producer+

Postby Orbi » 02 Jan 2012, 12:22

DjThera:Haha, I would love that, but the thing is, it is actually organisations that have to book an artist in stead of the other way around, so us artists can only hope xD

Of course. Most of the big promoters (save a couple) around here seem to be only interested in safe bets. I don't blame them, it costs a lot to get artists over here. Tis a big shame though, I'd love to see you guys some day!

DjThera:Well if you look at some Top 100 lists of 2011 I still think the tracks we've been releasing are a bit underrated.
Oh definitely. Awesome to see three of your tracks there but you guys deserved way more, especially this year!
My question was mainly referring to older tracks though. I've always liked finding obscure, awesome tracks (like Octavius Augustus which I heard in a set of Titan's) but there's so many labels I've never heard of so I wouldn't know where to start.

Just thought of another semi question. You've been supporting Anagenetic's new release quite a fair bit. Are there any other new producing talents we should be looking out for?

Also thanks so much for taking time to answer questions. It's always nice to hear a producer's thoughts and to interact with fans!
Orbi
State Native

Postby DjVero » 02 Jan 2012, 12:28

DjThera:Fabian also grew up here in the north of Limburg and we went to the same school

That must've been ages ago... :+

Anyway, do you consider yourself as a pioneer in the hardstyle scene?

And - maybe I'm not allowed to ask this or you don't wanna answer, that's fine - how's your relationship with Brennan these days? Have you spoken to him about what happened with the split up and the period after that?
Mr. Revealed
DjVero (28)
Crab

Postby Doolittle » 02 Jan 2012, 12:28

First of all : Great work.. starting to love your label more and more...:)

What's your opionion of all the amateur/unknown producers these days? Do you check them out and look for talent? Or are you getting bombed by demo's etc?

Cheers!
Doolittle
Producer

Postby Darycka » 02 Jan 2012, 13:03

I got a few questions... :)

What the fuck did you say to me at fusion of dance when I asked you if you wanted a beer? :P
How do you personally think about DJs who tend to be a bit more static when they are playing? I personally love your energetic preformances, all the way into your "happy face" :+
How is your relation to Fusion? Since I saw you playing a bunch of their promos and I really didn't expect it :)

Oh, and yeah, respect for your label! Been following it since the very beginning :)
50% of D-Verze

Image Image Image Image
Darycka (24)
Producer

Postby HNI » 02 Jan 2012, 14:01

Quick question from me,
You know your remix of Dust In Your Eyes? It's my favorite hardstyle track (L)
I love that rich, growling kickdrum, and I've never heard anything like it. A very unique track - do you plan on making any more songs of this caliber in the future? Or perhaps you already have?
HNI
State Newcomer

Postby arder-arderstyle » 02 Jan 2012, 14:02

Saw you where doing this on Facebook. Just came on here to say I have massive respect for you. No 1 producer in the scene! . Am taking a break from hardstyle right now tho fed up with how cheesy hardstyle has become Theracords, spoontech, nutty trance are the only labels I support these days. Good luck thera with 2012 can see it being a big year for you and you'r label. :)
(Early Hardstyle)
arder-arderstyle (26)
State Celebrity