Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Theracords Q&A #5: DJ Thera

Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby DjThera » 06 Jan 2012, 09:50

Orbi:What are some tracks that you love that people wouldn't expect you to or that you wouldn't play in a Thera set? Do you have a soft spot for a little cheese, maybe?

I always like to play a few unexpected tracks and I always think about who's playing before and after me. This also changes playlists of course. Last summer I played before DBSTF and then you can imagine that I didn't play stuff like Done or Trespassing, but actually also tracks from Zatox (Unborn) and Noisecontrollers (Give It Up), which might come as a slight surprise.

Orbi:Also, hard or soft H in Theracords? I've always used a hard h but I sometimes hear those vocals you use in podcasts/videos use a soft h. I must have a definite answer! :+

Its exactly pronounced as in our vids and podcasts
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 06 Jan 2012, 09:53

Maximumraver:Ok I finally have a question! :p

But first I'd like to say, that you are a true hero _O_ With all the awesome & diverse music you make, spin, and release! :D And you're a cool guy too :D So keep up the good work :p

Anyway, my question is, is there for Therabyte or Theracords, an expectation of the number or tracks he or she should make within for example a year when someone is signed to either label, or does the amount not matter so much as long as the tunes are good? just wondering :)

Thanks very much for your kind words and great support :D

About the contracts we have with our artists, it can totally depend on the artist. Some artist are also signed with us with bookings and others only for productions. Of course the tunes always have to be good though haha
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 06 Jan 2012, 09:57

MarlboroMan:First of all Thera many many respect to you for building such a great label _O_
I hope you can keep up the good work this year. :)

Do you consider making more vinyls in the near future, maybe again a joint release with another label that still provides the black gold?

Thanks so much and we will do our best! The (almost finished) new tracks I got from our artists already give me the idea this is going to be an epic year again!

About vinyls, I really have to say there is no chance we will release it. It simply costs too much and is too much work. Don't forget we are actually a very small and independent (family) company and we rather invest the little money we have in other stuff :p
DjThera
Producer+

Postby krakowww » 06 Jan 2012, 14:19

First of all thanks for a great night in Norrköping again!

My question is to you as an labelowner, how does it feel when talented guys like Stana and Chris One decides to leave for other labels? an there be any hard feelings or is everything good and you actually being happy for them?

And last thanks for bringing us tons of great music!
krakowww
State Newcomer

Postby Maximumraver » 06 Jan 2012, 17:50

DjThera:
Thanks very much for your kind words and great support :D

About the contracts we have with our artists, it can totally depend on the artist. Some artist are also signed with us with bookings and others only for productions. Of course the tunes always have to be good though haha

Ah, nice :) thanks for the info :) ! Always useful to know :)
Maximumraver (28)
Producer

Postby lamtak » 06 Jan 2012, 17:52

In a few weeks you will perform Live at the Matrixx. Will that be your first Live performance or have u done so in the past, as Brennan & Heart maybe?
lamtak (25)
State Celebrity

Postby Qz » 06 Jan 2012, 20:21

lamtak:In a few weeks you will perform Live at the Matrixx. Will that be your first Live performance or have u done so in the past, as Brennan & Heart maybe?

And additionally to this I'd like to ask: What are the differences between your live act and your 'usual' act?
Qz (26)
State Senior Citizen

Postby icey » 07 Jan 2012, 01:30

DjThera:
icey:When you play Bionic again, how many drinks do you owe me lol :rofl:

Everytime you whined about rawstyle, I deducted one, so now you actually owe me 30 drinks :rofl:

Oh god, 30 pints of Bow(If I remember the cider drinker??) :p

Ok Pieter, I love your 2 tracks with Mark EG. He brought the techno-influence on them imo. Hope you collab with him in future. Would you like to again, have you planned it someday??

Also, is he as crazy in the studio as he is on stage haha! _O_
icey (29)
State Hero

Postby K*N*G » 07 Jan 2012, 04:56

G'day Pieter, I would like to ask a question about etiquette that can maybe ease a bit of tension for the new up and coming producers of today.

As a label manager, you would be open to listening to all submissions sent to you from aspiring & up and coming producers worldwide, my question for you today is:

How do you like to be approached and what things do you believe could help aspiring producers get their foot in the door as far as industry related etiquette, general manners and approching various label owners in regards to track submissions is concerned.

I'm sure alot of you guys would love help with this!

Cheers matey!
http://soundcloud.com/djkngofficial/

A King is an individual who typically inherits the throne by birth and rules for life or until abdication. - Dr. James Bedard
K*N*G (27)
Producer

Postby Rez » 07 Jan 2012, 06:10

Rez ask a question:

What got you into making music and why hardstyle?
Rez
State Outsider

Postby Shadow Interaction » 07 Jan 2012, 14:23

DjThera:
Pithune:first of all big respect to you pieter! you're probably one of the most easygoing artists out there who shows what it's all about _O_ :)

Thanks very much! Really appreciate to hear that :D

you're welcome :D

DjThera:
Pithune:q&a:
what self produced release are you most proud of?

Dont know if this sounds weird but mostly it's always the last/newest track I did, so in this case its "It's A Fine Day (feat Yuna-X)"

haha an excellent choice! _O_ ;D certainly a track to be proud of!

DjThera:
Pithune:there is a theracords for hardstyle and therabyte for the hardtrance/techy bit, will there ever come a theracore sublabel for hardcore and alike? since alot of releases on the main label seems to head there ;)

I knew this question would come and obviously Wavolizer was the first to laugh at me when he saw this question :rofl:

For me hardstyle is very diverse, from (hard)trance to (industrial) hardcore, so productions can go towards hardcore indeed. Unfortunately for the hardcore fans I am not really very known of very up to date with hardcore and to manage a hardcore record label I wouldn't feel to confident about it although I am getting more and more into industrial.

haha not surprised about Wavo :p fair answer, thanks! ;)

DjThera:
Pithune:when i first heard you were going as thera i thought it was more hardtrance/tech stuff. maybe because you had to find a certain style, which you've by now proved to have found. this question remains for me: do you actually play hardtrance/tech sets? :)

I actually can be booked for any hard dance style, but I am mostly booked for (almost) closing sets with very rough hardstyle. Either way I just love to DJ!

That's great to hear! diversity to look out for then ;D your current (closing) sets are already awesome _O_ wouldn't mind at all hearing you play a different set, it'll be very interesting

thanks for the answers ! :D
- Pithune / Shadow Interaction / Tensphoria / Mass Vibrant -

https://www.facebook.com/DjPithune
http://www.soundcloud.com/PithuneMedia

Shadow Interaction (29)
Producer

Postby DjThera » 07 Jan 2012, 15:36

krakowww:First of all thanks for a great night in Norrköping again!

My question is to you as an labelowner, how does it feel when talented guys like Stana and Chris One decides to leave for other labels? an there be any hard feelings or is everything good and you actually being happy for them?

And last thanks for bringing us tons of great music!

You're welcome, it was really awesome!

About the question it of course feels shitty when great talented guys leave Theracords for something else, but in the end it is always their decision and since it is their career, they have to make it work as good as possible and in a way they think its the best. As they are both doing pretty fine in the music business I am of course very happy for them, I still consider them as friends so definitely no hard feelings
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 07 Jan 2012, 15:42

Qz:
lamtak:In a few weeks you will perform Live at the Matrixx. Will that be your first Live performance or have u done so in the past, as Brennan & Heart maybe?

And additionally to this I'd like to ask: What are the differences between your live act and your 'usual' act?

I have done a live act in the past, once as Misdome Project and once as Brennan & Heart live.

The difference between a live act and a dj set can be totally different with every artist but here's how the difference is with me:
With a dj set is of course just mixing the tracks like normal and can contain tracks from others as well.
With a live act it is only tracks that I produced (solo or collab) but its not mixed. Actually there is a complete basis of 30 minutes that I produce in the studio. This contains all kinds of different edits/versions of the tracks to make it work in total and this 30 minutes will be played, but I also have some equipment with me where I can put in 120 wave samples/loops/vocals/screeches etc. you name it and by pressing a button, you can hear the sound you chose. With me pressing those buttons rhythmically and put FX on it I can actually play quite some stuff live and in total with the 30 minute basis which I produced, this is the live act! Quite risky stuff of course, def will be practicing A LOT this month haha
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 07 Jan 2012, 15:44

K*N*G:G'day Pieter, I would like to ask a question about etiquette that can maybe ease a bit of tension for the new up and coming producers of today.

As a label manager, you would be open to listening to all submissions sent to you from aspiring & up and coming producers worldwide, my question for you today is:

How do you like to be approached and what things do you believe could help aspiring producers get their foot in the door as far as industry related etiquette, general manners and approching various label owners in regards to track submissions is concerned.

I'm sure alot of you guys would love help with this!

Cheers matey!

For sending a demo to Theracords, for us it's very important that people actually read what we say about it on our website:

"When sending a demo, please keep in mind you are mailing a professional label in order to get a release. Only send full tracks, and be absolutely sure you got what it takes for a release!"

Furthermore I'd like to add that you can only make 1 first impression, so don't just send a link and thats it, tell a bit about yourself and your passion you are sharing :)
DjThera
Producer+

Postby DjThera » 07 Jan 2012, 15:45

Rez:Rez ask a question:

What got you into making music and why hardstyle?

I've been playing on keyboards/piano's my whole life so my best guess is that I am definitely just born with it! :D

In the past I made all kinds of musicstyles, however hardstyle (harder dance music) fits me the best and is the style I get the most fun out of both producing and playing :)
DjThera
Producer+