Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Theracords Q&A #4: Catatonic Overload

Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 13:51

Q-Rater:First of all I just want to say I love your tunes so much, you guys are keeping hardstyle alive for me :)

I am curious how the alias came about?

Thanks, appreciate it!
Wtih alias you mean our name? I've heard it in a Metallica track, and tough it would be a cool stage name. Also Marc is written with a C, and my last name starts with a O. Since there are two of us, we've put an 2 with it > CO2.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 13:55

SchizeQ:Which season of FG is your favorite? Guess for second :+

The vocals from family guy are indeed from season 2! But I think family guy is getting better and better each season. I've seen some episodes of the new season the other day, and they are awesome! :fist:
Perhaps it's about time for a new track with FG vocals. :p
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:00

DjVero:How was it to enter the Fusion remix competition and actually see your track released on the Fusion imprint? :D

We heard that there were a lot of competitors and there are some really good producers around, so we were completely flabbergasted when we heard we won! :sick: It's really big honor for us cause Hardstyle Rockers is one of our favorite Hardstyle tracks, made by some of the best producers out there.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:02

Raver:I have no question at the moment, I just wanted to say that you guys are real awesome _O_ . You became one of my favourite producers. I have no words to describe tracks like "The Sexual Thrill", "Pump That", "S.I.T.E", "Overtime" or your remix for the Donkey Rollers, they are just out of this world. Awesome :dance:

Keep on the good work! :fist:

Thanks! we'll do our best :p
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:16

Morten K:Hi guys :)

First i would like to say that i really love your music. Every single release you guys have released on theracords have i supported and i always looking forward to hear some new tracks from you!

My question is about the way you guys produce. Are you splitting the producing up? I mean like, Tim maybe produce the melodies, Marc fixes all the small details in the tracks etc etc. Hope you get my question :D

Thanks!
Cool you support all our releases. :)
And new stuff coming up! State of Mind (with Deetox) will be released on her first EP in January.
Also our 2012 Remix from Open Source will be released on the Compulzion label.

About the producing; For starters we sit together for some basic ideas, but Marc finishes the tracks. He's a full time producer. We send progression and ideas of a project to each other, until we're both happy about the result.
We don't purposely split up certain producing-tasks, although Marc has made about 100 different kicks last year haha.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:26

Romanian Hardstyler:with which producers besides theracords would you want to have a collab?

We both really like the productions of The Beholder. He's a big inspiration for us, with his rough no-nonsense hardstyle. He's going around for a long time and still keeps making the most dirty and aggressive sounds, which we both think is really awesome in hardstyle. Also Adaro has really surprised us in the last years, with amazing productions and cool sets.

At the moment we're making a collab track with Warface. You may know him from the hardcore alias 'Triax' (Enzyme).
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:28

Matt:Hi guys, love your music ! :)

How did you came up with the name 'catatonic Overload' ? (Yeah tough question :p)

Zyrlex:Hey guys,

I would like to say that i like your style, just freakin love it.
But My question was the same as "Matt", how did you guys came up with the name?

Thanks guys! :) I've answered the question about the name in one of the answers above.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:35

ceero:tell us a bit about what can we expect from you in 2012 :)

Some things are mentioned above, such as a collab with Deetox and Warface, and some remixes like 2012 CO2 remix and Hardcheck - Perfect The Beat (Catatonic Overload remix). Besides that we are working on a new solo release, but this time we want to take some time to evolve some new cool sounds. After 3 'make raw not war' releases we want to try something else. We also hope to play at some great festivals and parties in 2012. We've just getting started!
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Q-Rater » 28 Dec 2011, 14:40

Catatonic Overload:I have been working with music for about 10 years now, just for the great fun of it.

What kind of music? Hardstyle? Some other stuff?
Q-Rater (23)
State Native

Postby Qz » 28 Dec 2011, 14:47

Last year on Partyflock, you were mentioned as partly Dutch and partly French. Did this mean that one of you lived in France? Wasn't it very difficult to produce new tracks when you're not near each other? And how about the performances in that time?
Qz (27)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Catatonic Overload » 28 Dec 2011, 14:54

lamtak:If you would have to perform and make a 1h mix that would summarize hardstyle and all its subgenres, which track would you guys absolutely play?

Tough question, cause it's hard to split tracks in sub genres, especially when those are your favorite tracks.
We've always liked our hardstyle got served hard, but over the years there have been hundred of favorite productions. Some of those tracks we really still really like: older Showtek and Deepack tracks, Such as Just Begon, Cocaine MF, X2X remix, Here's Johnny and ofc their awesome Qlimax anthem. We also like some of the older Saifam and Seismic productions.

Nowadays we think Fusion still has great releases and we grown really fond of A2 records and Minus is More, and Theracords ofcourse. When we should make a mix with tracks that summarizes hardstyle for us, we would put our favorite tracks of these labels together with the older hardstyle tracks we think that still kicks ass.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Jonas » 28 Dec 2011, 20:20

What's your favourite track of 2011?
Love your music! You release bangers after bangers!! Keep them up, and make raw instead of war ;)
I'm just here for the music, man
Jonas (20)
State Hero

Postby Catatonic Overload » 29 Dec 2011, 12:59

icey:How would you describe your style? Hardstyle? Rawstyle? Maybe even 'Nu-Hardstyle'??

Many people describe your style as 'rawstyle' or just being 'very raw' etc but I disagree. I've supported 2 or 3 of your tracks but I prefer the harder-Hardstyle. Hope you understand my question?
e.g your rmx of Delete - Pulse had fantastic feedback. But i always prefered the Original as it was alot Harder imo. Still a good/solid remix though :)

Good luck with future projects. :)

Just hardstyle. We're not that fond about tags, because it sets limits to your creations. We just make what we like most and mostly we like it rough-edged and little bit more aggressive than stuff you see release on other labels.
Although 'hard' is a really subjective term. You think our Pulse remix isnt that hard, while we think it's a pretty rough track.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 29 Dec 2011, 15:26

Darycka:Awaiting answers really, this is getting boring this way :+

To add a question, you guys finished off area 2 at Loudness, where there were problems with the soundsystem. I personally walked away from your set because of this, not to offend you guys, but it just wasn't enjoyable for me anymore... How do you guys feel about this situation? Did you notice it while you were playing? Does it really bother you?

Too bad the sound wasn't up to B2S standards indeed, but those things can happen. We still enjoyed our set a lot and we believe the people who remained in area 2 still had some great music throughout the night.
Catatonic Overload
Producer

Postby Catatonic Overload » 29 Dec 2011, 15:29

Q-Rater:
Catatonic Overload:I have been working with music for about 10 years now, just for the great fun of it.

What kind of music? Hardstyle? Some other stuff?

Mainly hardstyle. Experimented with some other stuff as well, but hardstyle has always been my favorite style.
Catatonic Overload
Producer