Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Theracords Q&A #3: Phrantic

Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby Alex149 » 20 Dec 2011, 20:31

Hawl:
Alex149:It's hard for me to say whats worst, because if i found it that bad i probably wouldnt be in that scene anymore! Anyways i find it a bit sad that alot of the classics dont get played that much anymore, especially tracks from the period 2006 - 2008, since those have a bit another feeling to them. But things are getting better and better so its hard to find something bad, maybe you can come up with something i haven't thought of yet? ;)

Maybe all the hate in the scene? That suck badly! :)

Well i think its not important to pay attention to the kindergarten on some youtube comment discussions. And thats just a small part of the whole scene! I think the big part is open-minded :)
Alex149
Producer

Postby Alex149 » 20 Dec 2011, 20:37

icey:You say Zatox was your biggest idol. He was one of mine too. What do you think about his complete change in style. Personally I hate it. I don't support his tracks anymore and am gutted that I don't. Simply because I miss what he could do before. Some call it 'real Hardstyle'. Your thoughts please mate. :)

It was obvious that he can't keep on with the same stuff through all the time, all artists want change somewhen. Although i like his older tracks way more than his new ones I respect him alot for what he does although the new tracks doesnt have the older feeling to it. :) I'm enjoying the awesome tracks he has made earlier, but i also really like and play some of the newer stuff he brings out. For example i play The Noisemaker alot, i dont like that one as a "zatox classic" but as an awesome track. :D
Alex149
Producer

Postby DjPractice » 21 Dec 2011, 14:43

Mr Phrantic - "Road Warrior" is one of the best tracks of 2011 imo. Do you find that producing this type of Hardstyle is your favourite or preference / OR do you prefer to keep it open and produce all types of hardstyle (happy, dark, in between,etc)?

And ofc, good luck for the future :)
Sam
DJ PRACTICE - Playing weird shit since 2004
http://www.facebook.com/djpracticeofficial
Keep up to date with my new mixes, gigs, tracks and remixes :)
DjPractice
State Legend

Postby OoO-OoO » 21 Dec 2011, 15:36

Hey Phrantic!

First of all respect for your productions!

I want to ask you a question about producing/mixing hardstyle.

I'm already producing hardstyle music for about 4 years now and I made myself a little bedroom studio with Krk rokit 6 monitors and nice acoustics and more... :) I focussed the most important acoustics on my sweetspot, but I still didn't figured out how to produce/mix the low bassline of a kick in the sweetspot.I always walk to the back of my room, because the bass louder over there. I doubt if this is the right way to check the low bass. I know that I should produce in the sweetspot and I even moved my monitors further back, but still I find it hard to produce/mix the low bass from that spot. I find the low bassline of my kick very messy for some reason :/

I wonder... how do you produce and mix anything with very low bass in it? Because I think it is very important to know how a bassline or a sound with much bass in it sound on a party or festival? :D

Greetings and thanks in advance,

Steven
OoO-OoO
State Outsider

Postby Defiant » 21 Dec 2011, 16:08

Hello Alex!

Just a quick question, what tips/guidelines do you have for a young producer who has the heart in the right place but isnt sure if he is ready to get anything released?
Kind of a tricky question :p
Defiant (24)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Alex149 » 21 Dec 2011, 18:55

DjPractice:Mr Phrantic - "Road Warrior" is one of the best tracks of 2011 imo. Do you find that producing this type of Hardstyle is your favourite or preference / OR do you prefer to keep it open and produce all types of hardstyle (happy, dark, in between,etc)?

And ofc, good luck for the future :)
Sam

Hey! :D

Thanks alot, thats great to hear!
I tend to produce a big variety of hardstyle, because my taste is pretty broad. In general a track of mine should have the following criterias: It should be driving and it should have a special feeling/purpose to it.
When i produced Road Warrior i was thinking of huge gated kicks combined with driving sounds which just gives you a "fuck yeah!"-feeling at a party, and thats what it turned out to! I really recommend people to hear it live at a party before judging it, because its ment to be a party track. :)
Also it was inspired by the darker/harder stuff from 2006 - 2008 like Mind Hunterz, N3ck, Beholder & Zany and such, thats why i used a gated kick in it.
In all my upcoming tracks you will hear from melodic over oldskool inspired to very raw, so all just depends on my mood in the studio. :)
Alex149
Producer

Postby Alex149 » 21 Dec 2011, 19:02

OoO-OoO:Hey Phrantic!

First of all respect for your productions!

I want to ask you a question about producing/mixing hardstyle.

I'm already producing hardstyle music for about 4 years now and I made myself a little bedroom studio with Krk rokit 6 monitors and nice acoustics and more... :) I focussed the most important acoustics on my sweetspot, but I still didn't figured out how to produce/mix the low bassline of a kick in the sweetspot.I always walk to the back of my room, because the bass louder over there. I doubt if this is the right way to check the low bass. I know that I should produce in the sweetspot and I even moved my monitors further back, but still I find it hard to produce/mix the low bass from that spot. I find the low bassline of my kick very messy for some reason :/

I wonder... how do you produce and mix anything with very low bass in it? Because I think it is very important to know how a bassline or a sound with much bass in it sound on a party or festival? :D

Greetings and thanks in advance,

Steven

Hey Steven,

Mixing is the hardest part of it all and im also still im proving on it, but maybe i can give you a little tip! Its important to check your stuff and compare it to other tracks on multiple systems, not only your monitors but also on headphones (for the stereo stuff and details) and on parties if you got the opportunity. The difficult thing about mixdown is, that if your sounddesign is fucked up, you just can do very little to make it sound less messy, so its good if you try to focus on a clean sound from the beginning you start making the sound.
Also it depends on your monitors if you got a nice listening on the subass, if your monitors dont have a wide range it maybe would be a good idea to listen to your tracks also on a system with a subwoofer. Unfortunately i can't tell you more because im not familiar with your monitors, but its all experience you get over time.
I hope that helped a bit! :)
Alex149
Producer

Postby Alex149 » 21 Dec 2011, 19:04

Defiant:Hello Alex!

Just a quick question, what tips/guidelines do you have for a young producer who has the heart in the right place but isnt sure if he is ready to get anything released?
Kind of a tricky question :p

Hey Defiant! :D

Showcasing is very important, show your tracks to other producers and let them show you their stuff. Eventually you'll get nice feedback and tips how to make things. If you think you're ready for a release you can always try mailing your tracks to labels. The worst thing that can happen is that they dont accept the track and you have to try it again, so you got nothing to lose! ;)
Alex149
Producer

Postby Romanian Hardstyler » 21 Dec 2011, 22:15

which are your top 5 producers?
Romanian Hardstyler (25)
State Celebrity

Postby Alex149 » 22 Dec 2011, 15:21

Romanian Hardstyler:which are your top 5 producers?

Hey Romanian Hardstyler! :)

Its hard to put up a top 5 of producers for me, but some i definietly look up to are Geck-O, Thera, Noisecontrollers (they always bring something new/fresh and its always quality), Noisia (just epic productions, no comment), Spor, Hidden, Zatox (who i already mentioned as one of my favourite HS artists) and probably alot more, but those are the ones that just came to my mind! :)
Alex149
Producer

Postby Badazzbeat » 23 Dec 2011, 06:11

Hey Phrantic, what is your opinion on sampling vocals from films and other audio sources for use in a release? I love it and think its great and would like to see what you have to say about it.

Thanks for your reply :)
Badazzbeat
State Outsider

Postby Q-Rater » 23 Dec 2011, 07:05

Badazzbeat:Hey Phrantic, what is your opinion on sampling vocals from films and other audio sources for use in a release? I love it and think its great and would like to see what you have to say about it.

As an addition to this question, Do you know if there has been any issues with copyright in the scene because of vocal sampling?
Q-Rater (22)
State Native

Postby Alex149 » 23 Dec 2011, 13:37

Badazzbeat:Hey Phrantic, what is your opinion on sampling vocals from films and other audio sources for use in a release? I love it and think its great and would like to see what you have to say about it.

Hey Badazzbeat! :D

Im actually using alot of stuff from videogames or other already existing audio resources. If you're giving things a new touch, i think its no problem. Such stuff is awesome to get a feeling for how the track should sound like, so i dont think it can be considered "stealing".
Alex149
Producer

Postby Alex149 » 23 Dec 2011, 13:41

Q-Rater:

As an addition to this question, Do you know if there has been any issues with copyright in the scene because of vocal sampling?

Hey Q-Rater! :)

As far as i know some tracks didnt get a release and were given out for free because of that issue. The one that got released and got a problem afterwards i know was B-Front & Frontliner - Become The Sky (Awesome track btw), so now you can see in the title of the video on Youtube the writer & vocalist of the poem which was used.

But in the most cases copyrighted stuff is used in track, there aren't any complaints simply because its not discovered by the people who originally made it.
Alex149
Producer

Postby Qz » 24 Dec 2011, 12:16

As you're from Switzerland, I've got two questions for you:
1. How did you find out about hardstyle music over there?
2. Why aren't you neutral in the oldskool vs. nustyle debate?
Qz (26)
State Senior Citizen