Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Theracords Q&A #2: Wavolizer

Read interviews with hardstyle artists

Postby Kedde » 12 Dec 2011, 13:07

Morten K:
Show spoiler
Kedde, få den hat af!

Morten K:Can we expect more releases from you, on Therabyte?

Yes I hope to release something on Therabyte in 2012 again :) However I am more into the hard-edged productions right now so it will take a while before I return to my Omega Centauri project.
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby Geck-o » 12 Dec 2011, 13:31

The general mixdown and mastering of electronic music has changed a lot. Tracks are louder and sounds are more in your face. How do you feel about this development; is it a good thing or does it take away too much dynamics from the music?
Geck-o (27)
Producer

Postby Jonas » 12 Dec 2011, 15:15

In your oppinion, whats the most important thing to keep in mind while producing?
I'm just here for the music, man
Jonas (19)
State Hero

Postby Kedde » 12 Dec 2011, 16:51

D-Mind:Hey Kedde!

Hey man!

D-Mind:How you feel about nowadays hardstyle? And what is your current outlook on how the music should be in your eyes?

I don't normally want to express my critics towards hardstyle, since positivity is the way forward, but since you ask I might as well give it a go:
I believe hardstyle has become too predictable, structure-wise and sound-wise. I like to be surprised, and that doesn't happen that often anymore.
I love how the sound quality of hardstyle has raised a lot the last couple of years, but sadly some producers tend to cut too much out of their punches to make room for big wall-of-sound saw-leads. This is not something that I like that much, since I prefer to have the kick (and bassline) in main focus.
But what it all comes down to is personal taste, and I don't mind people liking this at all, so saying producers have to make something else, is too selfish for me to do. I rather just ignore the stuff I don't like and really enjoy the stuff that I do like. :)
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby Dakpan » 12 Dec 2011, 17:06

Show spoiler
Kedde:
Dakpan:Wavolizerr :fist:

Dakpan Image

Dakpan:You're tracks Done and the Nothing Remix are quite different then the usual stuff. Do you plan on making more in this style?

I will and I am already :)

Dakpan: And are you being inspired by TOA for these tracks, as I see you are quite active in the DnB/Industrial section on GHC?

I am definitely very inspired by them, and I have huge respect for their talent. :) However inspiration can come from anything really and that often causes a "problem" where I want to incorporate so many different elements in my track that I often get stuck and can't decide what the best way to continue would be. This is often what slows me down when I am producing so what I do in this kind of situation is to sit back for a moment and just put something together without thinking. Luckily (after some tweeking) it often turns out to be something that I really love though Image

Great stuff, looking forward to the new tracks very much. Done and Nothing Remix were just brutal.
Dakpan (25)
State Celebrity

Postby Que-Dee » 12 Dec 2011, 17:07

That's a really good point Kedde. :)

My question would be: Are there some nice collabs comming up in the near future? Especially with some "non-Theracords-Artist"
Que-Dee @ Hardstyle.NU. Airtimes: Every Sunday 18 - 19 hrs. (CET)

http://www.facebook.com/QueDeeMusic / http://soundcloud.com/quedeemusic
Que-Dee (30)
Producer

Postby Darycka » 12 Dec 2011, 17:55

I guess you won't answer questions about how you make kicks in detail either, will you? :+

Nah, a bit more serious now :) How do your family and friends feel about your music? Is hardstyle accepted in Denmark, or are you an outsider considering you are a fanatic?
50% of D-Verze

Image Image Image Image
Darycka (24)
Producer

Postby Kedde » 12 Dec 2011, 18:50

DjPractice:Hi Kedde!!!! *waves*

:wave:

DjPractice:you are one of my most favourite hardstyle producers at present because your basslines are just second to none these days and your tracks have so much drive in them - How do you create such momentum in your tracks? is there something that motivates you to make music like this?

Thanks man! Well I have always been a huge fan of drive, actually drive has always been more important for me than hardness, although I like to blend those two together in different combinations nowadays.

DjPractice:- Do you get lots of inspiration from the older tracks of Activator? I feel your style is quite similar to his around the time of 2004-2007 :)

I used to get a lot of inspiration from Activator (among other producers like Scot Project, Trilok & Chiren etc.) yes. Nowadays it is a bit different though. I tend to be inspired by TOA & Switch Technique the most. This doesn't mean that I won't continue making oldschool influenzed tracks, but for now I am in a place where I want to experiencing with something else than screeches and hypersaw-leads. ;)

DjPractice:- What is on the horizon for Wavolizer? More releases, remixes, crazy ideas?

I have an upcoming release that's 98% ready right now and I am slowly starting on another one. I also have some remix ideas pending, but it's something that has to wait. Crazy ideas? :P Hmmm, I recently had an idea for an insane megamix that would include all the best from the oldschool world (and re-create/re-sample a lot of material to improve the quality), but it is something so time consuming that it will probably never happen.

DjPractice:When are you coming to visit me in Australia???? :) If you come for a holiday and pay your own way (haha), I can you a gig :))

Haha, I would love to visit you guys, but unfortunately it's not something that seems very realistic in the near future.
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby ceero » 13 Dec 2011, 03:50

Okay, so what do you prefer for mixing, cds or vinyls ?

Which artists except Theracords do you like from nowadays hardstyle scene ? Perhaps someone from mainstream too ?
Reef in a sail at the edge of the world, If eternity should fail.
Waiting in line for the ending of time, If eternity should fail.
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby Kedde » 13 Dec 2011, 10:58

elgrekoz:Dear Kedde,

Tell me,what do you forsee that it's not already there? We have an alike thinking about music...it evolves,blends,revolutionizes but as patrick asked already,im really curious to know your perspective for the future.

Sincerely yours,
Your minion greek

Dear Antonis,

What I forsee to happen in the future? That either hardstyle will become bigger or "die". I read something about certain artists would like a different name for this style, because "hard" is scaring people of. So if this is the case, then there might be a split in the scene, where certain artists will move towards a new style of music (or probably the same, but with a new name :P). If this will happen or not, I don't know. It depends a lot on the big producers and event companies. But it could happen, just look at how popular hardtrance or hands-up used to be, but a lot of these producers have turned to tech-trance and house instead.
...Or maybe hardstyle will become bigger and more diverse/open-minded. I'd personally prefer this :P

Sincerely yours,
The Danish Potato
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby Kedde » 13 Dec 2011, 11:21

Geck-o:The general mixdown and mastering of electronic music has changed a lot. Tracks are louder and sounds are more in your face. How do you feel about this development; is it a good thing or does it take away too much dynamics from the music?

I believe it's a good thing when it comes to party music. It's a lot more easy for the sound engineer to keep the sound at a stable level without having to deal with loud peaks or a huge difference in sound volume.
That being said, I really think somebody takes it a bit over the top, resulting in a too compressed (or even too distorted) soundscape. Speaking in technical terms, I prefer hardstyle to be between -5,5 RMS and -8 RMS. I know some hardstyle tunes reaching -4,5 RMS and that's just too much for me.
For softer styles of music it's easier to hear the compression, so here there shouldn't be messed a lot with the loudness - in my opinion.
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby Geck-o » 13 Dec 2011, 13:12

Kedde:
Geck-o:The general mixdown and mastering of electronic music has changed a lot. Tracks are louder and sounds are more in your face. How do you feel about this development; is it a good thing or does it take away too much dynamics from the music?

I believe it's a good thing when it comes to party music.

I agree!

Kedde:I know some hardstyle tunes reaching -4,5 RMS and that's just too much for me.

Soz :+
Geck-o (27)
Producer

Postby Kedde » 13 Dec 2011, 15:27

Hawl:In your oppinion, whats the most important thing to keep in mind while producing?

To not think in boxes or limit yourself from using different elements. Also I often ask myself:
"does this represent something that I really like and am proud of?" - If not, then I change it obviously :p
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby Kedde » 13 Dec 2011, 19:08

Que-Dee:My question would be: Are there some nice collabs comming up in the near future? Especially with some "non-Theracords-Artist"

I have a few collab projects pending yes, although it's with Theracords artists. I'd like to collab with non-Theracords artists as well, but I've no specific plans for that right now. :)
Kedde (24)
Producer

Postby icey » 14 Dec 2011, 01:29

Agree with Practice that you remind me of Old Acti :)

No questions from me mate, love your stuff so keep up the good work :fist: _O_
icey (29)
State Hero