Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

suggestions about a basic demo

Need feedback on your Hardstyle track? Post it here

Postby Groxiv » 25 Apr 2018, 22:43

hi guys :wave: :wave: :wave: :D

from a short time ago . i tried to mix and master a basic drop and i need your suggestions .

(if it's mixed right or not / if it's mastered right or not / all the project is a disaster)

The first part was mixed the second part was mastered

i'm a beginner and i need some advices ;D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zKh1d7Ef9zehP0PBE31Nb-w949YaihH3/view?usp=sharing
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Trantix » 26 Apr 2018, 04:06

The kick and synth is pretty good imo. Especially as a beginning. In the first part of the track, the synth is overpowering the kick quite a lot i think. In the second part, this wasn't the case, however, something weird was happening with the tok like it was being cut out.

Honestly, if you were trying to master it, it almost sounds like you were trying to fix the mix by mastering it where as you shouldn't have to do this. It should be mixed well to begin with.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby Groxiv » 26 Apr 2018, 12:04

Thanks dude ;D a lot !!!!!

So i should mix it right by decrease the volume of the synth in the mixer so it will be good ???

Another little question : do need to add some effects to the kick or i must change the volume of the synth and thats all ?

I know that i'm talking like stupid but i need to know the basics . So it's normal because this is the first time i mix and master in my life

Sorry dude but i have a lot of questions for asking :?
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Groxiv » 26 Apr 2018, 13:09

What is the tok ??
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Trantix » 26 Apr 2018, 15:56

It's all good. Questions are important.
I don't know if the mix will be good just by lowering the volume of the synth, but it's definitely something I think that will help just because the kick was being drowned out. I don't think any effects to the kick are needed, at that point I would say that's personal preference.
Also the tok is the punch of your kick. I'm not really sure why it's called a tok and not punch like in most other genres, but that's the term that is generally used.

Btw, a suggestion for mixing that seems to help a lot of people is silence all your mixer tracks, then bring in the most important elements first. So you would probably start with the kick, followed by the rest of the drums, then your main synth, then pads, then sfx. Bring them in one by one up to the volume that sounds good with the rest of the mix and you can clearly hear what you want to hear. This will help the important elements cut through the mix like the kick since that one would be the first you do. And it's a good idea to put the kick around like 8-9db to give enough overhead for everything else. If you're happy with that, then master that and make it as loud as possible while not losing elements that are supposed to be cutting through.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby Groxiv » 26 Apr 2018, 18:58

Thanks a lot bro !!! You are a life saver <3 ;D !!!
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Groxiv » 27 Apr 2018, 00:36

As you know that i'm a beginner

So i decrease the volume of the synth and i put the volume of the kick between 8db-9db and everything
was great !!! But the big problem was in mastering

I knew from the videos that the mastering is like art and it's not easy like mixing

I saw a video of a guy that he master a rap song for an hour ..
And he used this :

Fruity EQ 2
fruity waveshaper
Fruity bassbooster
Sound goodizer -> exiter
Compressor
Stereo enhancer
Multiband compressor
Frutiy EQ 2
soft clipper
Limiter

So i did like him but there is not a good result
And that's make me feel like my music is completely waste of time
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Groxiv » 27 Apr 2018, 01:47

Can you send to me some of your productions to listen to it if you want ???

Because i want some professional preview so i can have a good idea
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Trantix » 27 Apr 2018, 02:50

Your music isn't a waste. Every song is going to be different. And between rap and hardstyle, it's a lot different.
I'm not a professional either, I just know a lot of tricks that I'm still learning how to implement myself to be honest.

https://soundcloud.com/officialtratix/sky-dancer
This one I spent a lot of time mixing. Not fully mastered. At the time, I had a lack of knowledge in mastering so I ended up using pads to fill in space. The important thing here is as far as i can tell, you can clearly hear the tok, the bass, and the synth. There's other background stuff as filler but they don't really matter in this case. The main reason why you can hear those things is because i gave room in the spectrum for those elements to peak through.

https://soundcloud.com/officialtratix/t ... except-not
This one is still in the works and i spent a lot of time making proper room for all the elements in the song. Again same thing as the last one, you can hear the important elements in this (except everyone once in a while the kick is muffled and i can't figure out why. it happens even if it's the only thing playing.) In this song, i have things effectively side chained to not be present when something else is. This is especially important for the bass range as you usually don't want two bass sounds right next to each other. So when ever bass is playing from the kick, bass in another sound isn't. I didn't use proper mastering techniques to do that, but i used side chaining. Which this effectively eliminates unnecessary sounds from playing giving more room for other sounds thus making them a bit louder which for the overall mix helps it.

Again, i'm not professional and these might not be great examples. But it's what i've done and it's helped me. It took me about 3 years going through songs to get something that sounds like these. And these aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but hopefully the concepts i tried explaining helps you out. A lot of it is trial and error, and finding what works for your sound design. And you probably won't get it on your first try, but don't let that discourage you. Try it again. For me, I'll sit on it for a few days, come back and try again, and that helps me by letting it go for a bit.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby Groxiv » 27 Apr 2018, 03:42

I have an idea . If you want you can accept and you can refuse too

Do you want to make a team ?? Me and you ? So we can help each other ? And improuve our experience ??
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Groxiv » 27 Apr 2018, 03:50

I'n lestening now to your song 'sky dancer by trantix ' and it's not bad at all !! Very good imo

I want to do something different

I'm trying to do a remix of the accapella 'mans not hot' so you can judge if i can do something good or it can be improuved by you suggestions if you want

From sunday i will start to work about this project

If you don't have a project in progress you can begin because i really want to listen to a remix created by you if you want
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby Groxiv » 27 Apr 2018, 04:05

Can you tell me what's the meaning of mashup ??
Groxiv
State Newcomer

Postby The Mind Creator » 27 Apr 2018, 08:15

Really nice ! I really like the kick and the melody :)
The Mind Creator
State Outsider

Postby Qobalt » 27 Apr 2018, 11:04

1) Remove the FL limiter from your master channel before mixing
2) Do not use soundgoodizer or use it very carefully and for tiny specific things, not the whole track. In 99% of cases it ruins the track completely
3) Use stereo enhancers channel by channel, not the whole track.
4) And the rules of mastering rap tracks are bit different because of sound spectrum structure.

From your sample I can tell that first part (unmastered) sounds WAY better than the second part. Second part is very muddy and not detailed.
Find some videos on YT (there are a lot from professional producers e.g. Michael Phase)
You can start from this playlist, you will learn A LOT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6QPxwn ... CSrX2XolE5

And may the Force be with you :)
Pretender: wow, you're so full of shit, that even my toilet refuses to flush you.
http://harderstate.com/post177530.html#p177530
Qobalt (24)
State Celebrity

Postby Qobalt » 27 Apr 2018, 11:08

Groxiv:Can you tell me what's the meaning of mashup ??

Mashup is the blend of few existing tracks.
For example: Mashup Jack - E=The Devil's Den (Skrillex & Wolfgang Gartner - The Devil's Den and Noisecontrollers - E=NC2 blended):
Pretender: wow, you're so full of shit, that even my toilet refuses to flush you.
http://harderstate.com/post177530.html#p177530
Qobalt (24)
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles