Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Project One - Maximum Force (Defqon.1 Anthem 2018) [Q-Dance]

Discuss all hardstyle releases here.

Postby bassfaceBAM » 29 May 2018, 13:11

I really like it after hearing it so many times. Certainly grew on me. Still think Children of Drums is much better, the melody a bit too light and the key change off putting but hey, it's better than most Defqon anthems and given time it may prove to be very popular. I also think once I'm there watching the the end show this anthem is going to feel something special
bassfaceBAM (30)
State Celebrity

Postby mc2 » 29 May 2018, 14:56

bassfaceBAM:I really like it after hearing it so many times. Certainly grew on me. Still think Children of Drums is much better, the melody a bit too light and the key change off putting but hey, it's better than most Defqon anthems and given time it may prove to be very popular. I also think once I'm there watching the the end show this anthem is going to feel something special

:one: THIS
DEFQON 1 - 2010 | DEFQON 1 - 2014 | DEFQON 1 - 2015 | THE RETURN OF HEADHUNTERZ 2017
mc2
State Citizen

Postby RidiQless » 29 May 2018, 14:58

ceero:^nope, i love it as well. It has everything, proper summer vibe, true Defqon feeling, funky intro. But you can never satisfy everyone, people see Project1 as the maker of the tune and expect Art of Creation 2.0 mixed with Scrap Attack and wont accept anything less.

thank you ;)
ImageImage
RidiQless (24)
State Celebrity

Postby Gommes_ » 29 May 2018, 16:50

Emre:
But you can never satisfy everyone, people see Project1 as the maker of the tune and expect Art of Creation 2.0 mixed with Scrap Attack and wont accept anything less.

This. Counts for any anthem btw, I don't get the high expectations for anthems, I don't think the purpose of anthems should be that they are better than regular tracks or something, so maybe that's why I don't have that expectation bar.

But for many people, including me, this IS the purpose of an anthem. Otherwise you wouldn't even need the word "anthem" if it's just a regular track. I know, quoting a dictionary is kinda nerdy but well: "A song that has special importance for a particular group of people, an organization, or a country, often sung on a special occasion."

Otherwise Q-Dance could just say: "Here, a track we like. Maybe you do too. Could be part of an endshow, maybe not." But they don't. THEY promote it as something special, therefore it is logical to expect something great.
I hear home in that bass
Gommes_ (33)
State Native

Postby Emre » 29 May 2018, 17:28

Well, 'a song which has special importance for a ... special occasion' (a festival in this case) that's excactly what it is. It's made for Defqon, and whether it's good enough to be called an anthem or whatever is purely subjective anyways. I just see it as a theme track for an event and it doesn't have to be TOTY material as long as it captures the feeling of the particular event (which, also, is purely subjective).
The only limit is your own imagination.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby Gommes_ » 29 May 2018, 17:51

Of course, everything is subjective. It all comes down to taste. But where does the special importance lie? Just by saying it is the track for a festival? So, what's so special about it? That the track description ends with "(Defqon.1 20xx Anthem)? That's not enough for me. The track is supposed to rise above other productions. At least for me.

And it looks like for many people the track does not capture the feeling of that event. So just saying, it is special cause they put the label "anthem" on it is pretty weak imo.
I hear home in that bass
Gommes_ (33)
State Native

Postby John Cove » 29 May 2018, 18:09

Of course anthems have to be more epic than regular tracks.
Otherwise no one would need them.

The Prophecy/Colours Of The Harder Styles/Science & Religion/CTRL ALT DELETE/No Time To Waste.

Legendary anthems that stood out from the masses.

About this track, it's a very proper euphoric track with an amazing intro. Defo in my top 10 so far this year.
John Cove (30)
Crab

Postby M3dia » 29 May 2018, 19:43

bassfaceBAM:I really like it after hearing it so many times. Certainly grew on me. Still think Children of Drums is much better, the melody a bit too light and the key change off putting but hey, it's better than most Defqon anthems and given time it may prove to be very popular. I also think once I'm there watching the the end show this anthem is going to feel something special

John Cove:Of course anthems have to be more epic than regular tracks.
About this track, it's a very proper euphoric track with an amazing intro.

Agreed with you, it's definitely growing on me and combined with fireworks and everything this track will sound awesome.
M3dia (24)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Emre » 29 May 2018, 20:07

John Cove:Of course anthems have to be more epic than regular tracks.

The Prophecy/Colours Of The Harder Styles/Science & Religion/CTRL ALT DELETE/No Time To Waste.

Legendary anthems that stood out from the masses.

About this track, it's a very proper euphoric track with an amazing intro. Defo in my top 10 so far this year.

I understand, but when is an anthem more epic than regular tracks? It's purely taste. Ctrl Alt Del definitely isn't even in my 2009 top10. It's subjective. And if for example Wildstylez makes an anthem which apparently is better than his usual tracks, it means he isn't giving his 100% effort with his usual tracks. If you can make a track which is better than your normal releases, then why not make all your normal releases at 'anthem level'. The quality of this track technically is top notch, the rest (feeling I mean) is always taste. I just don't care so much about anthems, imo the days where anthems were the pinnacle tracks of the year have been over for ages.

and honestly, you hear the anthem 3-5 times at DQ weekend, then it's barely ever played again. So much good tracks coming out in 2017 and 2018 so far, that any anthem feels average imo. The standard of Hardstyle is currently just really high. Tho I now do think that Atmozfears or SZP should have done the anthem.

I mean John, you probably love Scrap Attack, No Time To Waste, World Of Madness, just like me and many others? Why? Because for us, it has the true anthem feeling. But there probably are enough people that think Scrap Attack, No Time To Waste, and World Of Madness are empty as fuck and have no anthem feeling, and gave the same reactions a lot of others give on the 2018 anthem today. Anthem always get really mixed reactions + anthems tend to grow on people afterwards a lot of times.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby John Cove » 29 May 2018, 20:20

Emre:
I understand, but when is an anthem more epic than regular tracks? It's purely taste. Ctrl Alt Del definitely isn't even in my 2009 top10. It's subjective. And if for example Wildstylez makes an anthem which apparently is better than his usual tracks, it means he isn't giving his 100% effort with his usual tracks. If you can make a track which is better than your normal releases, then why not make all your normal releases at 'anthem level'. The quality of this track technically is top notch, the rest (feeling I mean) is always taste. I just don't care so much about anthems, imo the days where anthems were the pinnacle tracks of the year have been over for ages.

and honestly, you hear the anthem 3-5 times at DQ weekend, then it's barely ever played again. So much good tracks coming out in 2017 and 2018 so far, that any anthem feels average imo. The standard of Hardstyle is currently just really high. Tho I now do think that Atmozfears or SZP should have done the anthem.

I mean John, you probably love Scrap Attack, No Time To Waste, World Of Madness, just like me and many others? Why? Because for us, it has the true anthem feeling. But there probably are enough people that think Scrap Attack, No Time To Waste, and World Of Madness are empty as fuck and have no anthem feeling, and gave the same reactions a lot of others give on the 2018 anthem today. Anthem always get really mixed reactions + anthems tend to grow on people afterwards a lot of times.

Well, if it's all subjective, why do we need a forum then? Sure taste in general is subjective. But, are Beethoven & Nicki Minaj on the same level musicwise?

"Nicki Minaj is a better musican than Beethoven, that's my opinion!"

But there probably are enough people that think Scrap Attack, No Time To Waste, and World Of Madness are empty as fuck and have no anthem feeling

Of course there are people who think No Time To Waste is empty as fuck, but I would call it a minority in the scene. So therefor, this track could be officially be classified as legendary track, even tho 3 % dislike it.

If you can make a track which is better than your normal releases, then why not make all your normal releases at 'anthem level'

Because they mostly invest more time in those anthems because they approach a bigger audience and get more promoted (+ the will to produce something people talk about).

Ctrl Alt Del definitely isn't even in my 2009 top10. It's subjective.

Bas created a whole new era of kicks with that one, I mean, wtf? :+
John Cove (30)
Crab

Postby Emre » 29 May 2018, 20:26

I know man, I understand you. But observing previous anthem reactions has always proven that the tracks we now see as legendary were received just as 50/50 as this anthem is right now. I can assure you if I'm gonna check forum reactions for NTTW or World Of Madness there are just as many negative reactions as we now see on Maximum Force. Anthems always need to grow on people for some reason. In 2023 this anthem will probably be legendary and nostalgic. :+

about the Ctrl Alt Del subject

Bas created a whole new era of kicks with that one, I mean, wtf?

Yeah but 2009 was for me a year where almost every track had something special, something awesome. There were so fucking many topnotch releases back then (atmosphere-wise) that even Ctrl Alt Del got snowed under.

^ And quoting my previous post for this, I think that excactly the same is happening right now:

So much good tracks coming out in 2017 and 2018 so far, that any anthem feels average imo. The standard of Hardstyle is currently just really high.

2009 was filled with great tracks and so was 2017, and so is 2018. If this was released in the more 'boring' years 2014, 2015, 2016 (speaking for at least a reasonable percentage of others from what I've read) it would have been received more positively. Every track has to be at SZP, Phuture Noize or MYST level because that's what a lot of people see as topnotch at the moment. We get used to dope quality, we can't accept something which is a bit less (and forget the fact that it's still really good). That's why I agreed so much with ceero's post.
Last edited by Emre on 29 May 2018, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby John Cove » 29 May 2018, 20:30

Emre:I know man, I understand you. But observing previous anthem reactions has always proven that the tracks we now see as legendary were received just as 50/50 as this anthem is right now. I can assure you if I'm gonna check forum reactions for NTTW or World Of Madness there are just as many negative reactions as we now see on Maximum Force. Anthems always need to grow on people for some reason. In 2023 this anthem will probably be legendary and nostalgic. :+

They were atleast more positive back then: http://harderstate.com/unreleased-hardstyle-f13/hhz-ws-vs-nc-world-of-madness-defqon-1-anthem-2012-t13457.html?hilit=madness

:p
John Cove (30)
Crab

Postby Emre » 29 May 2018, 20:35

Well yeah probably that was a little exaggerated. But you get me. When an anthem first drops a lot of times it's either ' _O_ _O_ _O_' or ' :'( :'( :'(' and when the surprise effect has died down and weeks pass, people slowly get more positive usually :)

(i can't wait for the 2019 anthem to drop and people will say 2018 anthem destroys it and then 3 weeks later 'nah, 2019 anthem is better') :+
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby Segugio » 29 May 2018, 21:27

koullis21r:So after listening to the track so many times, i do agree with most people that this could have been much better.

At the same time though, i can not stop thinking that this track was created around the idea of one sole purpose, the end show. Even though, every single track can be played during an end show, only some have the ability to go hand-in-hand with all the fireworks and show.

Project One's anthem is exactly that specific track. Even though as a auditive experience it's easy forgettable, during the end show i think it will offer goosebumps all over.Just listen to it one more time and imagine with what defqon is offering the past few years during the show how fucking amazing everything would be. The build-up, the climax, the break were all taken into account with the idea of the firework show.

My brain already adds fireworks sounds when I listen to it.
Segugio (33)
State Tourist

Postby bassfaceBAM » 29 May 2018, 21:40

Gommes_:Of course, everything is subjective. It all comes down to taste. But where does the special importance lie? Just by saying it is the track for a festival? So, what's so special about it? That the track description ends with "(Defqon.1 20xx Anthem)? That's not enough for me. The track is supposed to rise above other productions. At least for me.

And it looks like for many people the track does not capture the feeling of that event. So just saying, it is special cause they put the label "anthem" on it is pretty weak imo.

Subjective is the key word here but I think this track tucks alot the boxes it should have to become anthem status.

It is without question a well made track from the technical aspect. Not surprising since Wildstylez and Headhunterz are leaders in their field, the production quality is something that cannot be argued with.
As far as capturing the spirit of Defqon well, it does have the traditional Defqon voice and it certainly has the tribal atmosphere Defqon is known for.
It also has a sense of pride of hardstyle history. It's celebrating 10 years of Project One and Defqon itself with the lyrics used, the simple melody and general structure of the track with a handful of modern elements added.

Weather you like the track or not those points are to hard to argue with. I reckon Q Dance are happy with result.

Off topic but is it not just awesome to talk to other people about this music? I mean loads of my mate like hardstyle but not to the extent they're on forums or whatnot.
bassfaceBAM (30)
State Celebrity

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles