Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

LEADS | General, Troubleshooting, etc

Sound design and production in general

Postby Netris » 11 Oct 2016, 15:53

Soundphase:
Netris:Do you still hear a hiss ?

Nope, there's no negative hiss that I can hear. Something to note - if you listen to close to the lead without much reverb and delay, you can begin to think there's something negative there when there actually isn't. Reverb and delay is a hugely important mechanic in leads, they make the whole lead sound smooth and particularly smoothen the high frequencies, chorus can as well but you often would use chorus to re-emphasise the sounds character. try adding some more reverb with pre-delay to make it sound more 3d

Yeah ! I made it, thanks to you :) But I think I either am going insane or I need to buy proper producing headphones because I still hear some hiss. Anyway, now that it's sorted out, I can continue to work on tracks. Thanks a lot.
Netris (28)
State Citizen

Postby Soundphase » 11 Oct 2016, 16:06

Netris:
Soundphase:
Netris:Do you still hear a hiss ?

Nope, there's no negative hiss that I can hear. Something to note - if you listen to close to the lead without much reverb and delay, you can begin to think there's something negative there when there actually isn't. Reverb and delay is a hugely important mechanic in leads, they make the whole lead sound smooth and particularly smoothen the high frequencies, chorus can as well but you often would use chorus to re-emphasise the sounds character. try adding some more reverb with pre-delay to make it sound more 3d

Yeah ! I made it, thanks to you :) But I think I either am going insane or I need to buy proper producing headphones because I still hear some hiss. Anyway, now that it's sorted out, I can continue to work on tracks. Thanks a lot.

To me this sounds nice, but if you think so - you can always just get an eq and lower the 7 - 8khz range by a tiny amount, tweek it always to your own preference, and compare the sound of other leads as a reference. But I would really EQ the treble of the lead only after adding a big reverb on it

But as you said, headphones.. headphones may often color the mix and it's always best to mix a lead on monitors, maybe headphones can be nice for mixing down compression but that's about it
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby Netris » 11 Oct 2016, 16:46

Soundphase:
Netris:
Soundphase:Nope, there's no negative hiss that I can hear. Something to note - if you listen to close to the lead without much reverb and delay, you can begin to think there's something negative there when there actually isn't. Reverb and delay is a hugely important mechanic in leads, they make the whole lead sound smooth and particularly smoothen the high frequencies, chorus can as well but you often would use chorus to re-emphasise the sounds character. try adding some more reverb with pre-delay to make it sound more 3d

To me this sounds nice, but if you think so - you can always just get an eq and lower the 7 - 8khz range by a tiny amount, tweek it always to your own preference, and compare the sound of other leads as a reference. But I would really EQ the treble of the lead only after adding a big reverb on it

But as you said, headphones.. headphones may often color the mix and it's always best to mix a lead on monitors, maybe headphones can be nice for mixing down compression but that's about it

I'm almost 100% sure it's my headphones. The lead sounds good to me besides this hissing.
I know monitors are better, but I can't afford to buy a pair for now and even if I could, I couldn't use them since I still live at my mother's place. It'll come when I have a job and I move out ^^
Netris (28)
State Citizen

Postby Soundphase » 11 Oct 2016, 17:08

Netris:I'm almost 100% sure it's my headphones. The lead sounds good to me besides this hissing.
I know monitors are better, but I can't afford to buy a pair for now and even if I could, I couldn't use them since I still live at my mother's place. It'll come when I have a job and I move out ^^

this is the basic idea
https://clyp.it/knzp2tjg

that's just
- 400hz peak cut
- 8.5Khz high shelf boost
- chorus
- delay

Send:
- Reverb
- EQ

you mainly needed chorus, the chorus completely modulates the high frequencies and makes it sound more smooth
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby Netris » 11 Oct 2016, 17:18

Soundphase:
Netris:I'm almost 100% sure it's my headphones. The lead sounds good to me besides this hissing.

this is the basic idea
https://clyp.it/knzp2tjg

that's just
- 400hz peak cut
- 8.5Khz high shelf boost
- chorus
- delay

Send:
- Reverb
- EQ

you mainly needed chorus, the chorus completely modulates the high frequencies and makes it sound more smooth

Yeah, I didn't add any chorus (nor have I really ever played with it). But there's a basic reverb and basic EQ I included in my template. I just didn't played with it because it was not my concern at the moment :)
I'll try to play with the chorus and see what it's like with the 4 layers on (there was only one here).
Netris (28)
State Citizen

Postby Sound Fuckerz » 12 Oct 2016, 00:11

Sylenth1 have familiar built-in distortion, good engine but have no fat. Spire have a very nice sound engine and one tweaked Spire instance sounds pretty fat. But its shaper missing proper distortion.How do you do distorted lead with Spire?
Sound Fuckerz
State Outsider

Postby nuttyt » 10 Nov 2016, 04:28

I don't usually do this but thought i'd share one of my new leads from my release I Am Death
The lead consists of a few layers of massive
nuttyt (34)
Producer

Postby Hardcoreking » 03 Jan 2017, 09:45

Im new to making my own stuff but i find it very hard to get the sound I am looking for currently using nexus, massive and sylenth1 but I find I am getting a more techno or happy hardcore type of sound when i would prefer a darker sound like AOF words of war
Hardcoreking
State Outsider

Postby Undecided » 16 Jan 2017, 15:46

Anyone got any advice for eurphoic melodies? All my melodies are short notes and not enough slides , need to create some counter melodies too. I need to create a melody that gives myself shivers down my spine , which is gonna be v hard. :S
"I am a false prophet ,God is a superstition."
Undecided (21)
State Newcomer

Postby AudioPioneer » 10 Feb 2017, 14:52

@Sound Fuckerz Maybe use an external distortion plugin? (Trash, Ohmicide, Camelphat)
@ Hardcoreking I think you just have to know the synth really well, which takes a lot of time. I think you can make most leads with those 3 synths it's just a matter of tweaking.
@nuttyt Really like that lead, great job!

So, I don't know if this is the right thread but I'm just gonna go for it:
I'm really struggling with creating a good stereo-image/depth/atmosphere. Take a listen:

If you compare it to the original:

I just dont get how the original has this huge "room" that it fills, while mine is lacking depth and fullness. I dont know wether it's the synths themselves or what. One thing I did notice is that theres lots of reverb on those original leads but yet they are so clear and upfront(if you know what i mean).
Any feedback or tip is really appreciated guys! And sorry for using a frontliner-kick, my own kicks are not yet where i want them to be^^
AudioPioneer
State Newcomer

Postby NRx Hardstyle » 11 Feb 2017, 14:44

AudioPioneer:So, I don't know if this is the right thread but I'm just gonna go for it:
I'm really struggling with creating a good stereo-image/depth/atmosphere. Take a listen:

If you compare it to the original:

I just dont get how the original has this huge "room" that it fills, while mine is lacking depth and fullness. I dont know wether it's the synths themselves or what. One thing I did notice is that theres lots of reverb on those original leads but yet they are so clear and upfront(if you know what i mean).
Any feedback or tip is really appreciated guys! And sorry for using a frontliner-kick, my own kicks are not yet where i want them to be^^

You dont have enough layers of leads and lacks a lot of reverb. The reverb fills up basically everything, the lead itself isnt that bad either, but proper mixdown and reverb is the key.
NRx Hardstyle (25)
State Citizen

Postby AudioPioneer » 11 Feb 2017, 15:38

@NRx Hardstyle Thanks for the input mate! I dont know i guess i have to keep on learning about leadsynthesis... This lead has actually 4 layers (still sounds so thin imo...). The thing about reverb is true, the sound does lack reverb. I just have a hard time "controlling" reverb. If i apply too much the whole mix just gets muddy and sounds too wet xD
AudioPioneer
State Newcomer

Postby KurzaCationer » 11 Mar 2017, 20:54

Need some feedback on this lead I just made:

Note: I did not try to remake the lead.
KurzaCationer
State Outsider

Postby nuttyt » 21 Mar 2017, 08:14

AudioPioneer:@NRx Hardstyle Thanks for the input mate! I dont know i guess i have to keep on learning about leadsynthesis... This lead has actually 4 layers (still sounds so thin imo...). The thing about reverb is true, the sound does lack reverb. I just have a hard time "controlling" reverb. If i apply too much the whole mix just gets muddy and sounds too wet xD

A good thing with the reverb is use on a send/aux instead of an insert you get more control over it.
What I normally do is put an eq on the reverb taking out the low end of the reverb, and sometimes the real high end.
Then depending what i want to go for is sometimes sidechain the reverb so your dry lead comes through but when the notes arent played in comes your reverb. I will be doing a tutorial on this soon on the Nutty Traxx labels Youtube channel.
nuttyt (34)
Producer

Postby AudioPioneer » 26 Mar 2017, 17:20

nuttyt:A good thing with the reverb is use on a send/aux instead of an insert you get more control over it.
What I normally do is put an eq on the reverb taking out the low end of the reverb, and sometimes the real high end.
Then depending what i want to go for is sometimes sidechain the reverb so your dry lead comes through but when the notes arent played in comes your reverb. I will be doing a tutorial on this soon on the Nutty Traxx labels Youtube channel.

Looking forward to that tutorial mate! Thanks for the advice though. I've tried some of the mentioned techniques but didnt really manage to get that sweetspot between too much reverb and too little. I guess it's just trial and error until I find the mix i'm looking for!
AudioPioneer
State Newcomer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles