Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

LEADS | General, Troubleshooting, etc

Sound design and production in general

Postby DaBeatPlayah » 23 Jul 2015, 02:00

Kirrre:Someone got any tips on how to avoid muddiness when im layering and so on?

You can avoid this by having 3-6 instances of your synth running, with each synth serving its own purpose. For example;
Lead 1:
Show spoiler
Upper/topmost lead created for the main sound of your track melody, this could be any of the following; A plain saw lead which resembles those of Frontliner, A square wobble lead which could sound something like Atmozfears and many others including mixtures of wave types.

Lead 2:
Show spoiler
Would be a under lead to phatten up the general sound, this lead is designed to boost the mid-higher ranges. This lead would usually be a saw wave at -1 octave.

Lead 3:
Show spoiler
Could be a high pitch detuned lead to also phatten up the sound and contrast the main lead, therefore exposing it further to the ear

Lead 4:
Show spoiler
Could be another instance of any of the above or to change the general sound of the track, could also be a piano/bell, just be creative

Mixdown:
Show spoiler
At this stage, you would have enough instances to have a general layout, now you should put each separate instance into its own mixer channel, unlink them from the MASTER channel and link them into another free channel, this channel will be your LEAD MASTER and your LEAD MASTER can then be linked to your MASTER. Once each instance has its own channel, start off with EQ appropriate for each seperate lead (e.g. lead 1 [main lead] will then need to boost the highs and remove most of the lows at around 50hz). Then comes compressing, i usually set it to -10 dB for the threshold, ratio 3:1 and gain around 2 or 3. Afterwards, you will most likely apply reverb and delay (remember, less is more) Then its best to also do some stereo imaging and widen the sound making it sound all the bigger.
Later, once you have done each of the channels, your mix will sound pretty good. The LEAD MASTER channel only needs small amounts of EQ, compression and reverb. Minimal amounts of changes will bring you a long way.

You don't have to take my word on everything, its just what i do and what i'm used to, i find i always have a clear sounding lead master but feel free to add me on skype if you want to ask further questions. My skype is Donnastick (Make your greeting message in relation to this topic so i know who you are :p )
DaBeatPlayah (18)
State Newcomer

Postby Kirrre » 23 Jul 2015, 11:06

DaBeatPlayah:
Kirrre:Someone got any tips on how to avoid muddiness when im layering and so on?

You can avoid this by having 3-6 instances of your synth running, with each synth serving its own purpose. For example;
Lead 1:
Show spoiler
Upper/topmost lead created for the main sound of your track melody, this could be any of the following; A plain saw lead which resembles those of Frontliner, A square wobble lead which could sound something like Atmozfears and many others including mixtures of wave types.

Lead 2:
Show spoiler
Would be a under lead to phatten up the general sound, this lead is designed to boost the mid-higher ranges. This lead would usually be a saw wave at -1 octave.

Lead 3:
Show spoiler
Could be a high pitch detuned lead to also phatten up the sound and contrast the main lead, therefore exposing it further to the ear

Lead 4:
Show spoiler
Could be another instance of any of the above or to change the general sound of the track, could also be a piano/bell, just be creative

Mixdown:
Show spoiler
At this stage, you would have enough instances to have a general layout, now you should put each separate instance into its own mixer channel, unlink them from the MASTER channel and link them into another free channel, this channel will be your LEAD MASTER and your LEAD MASTER can then be linked to your MASTER. Once each instance has its own channel, start off with EQ appropriate for each seperate lead (e.g. lead 1 [main lead] will then need to boost the highs and remove most of the lows at around 50hz). Then comes compressing, i usually set it to -10 dB for the threshold, ratio 3:1 and gain around 2 or 3. Afterwards, you will most likely apply reverb and delay (remember, less is more) Then its best to also do some stereo imaging and widen the sound making it sound all the bigger.
Later, once you have done each of the channels, your mix will sound pretty good. The LEAD MASTER channel only needs small amounts of EQ, compression and reverb. Minimal amounts of changes will bring you a long way.

You don't have to take my word on everything, its just what i do and what i'm used to, i find i always have a clear sounding lead master but feel free to add me on skype if you want to ask further questions. My skype is Donnastick (Make your greeting message in relation to this topic so i know who you are :p )

Ty for your tips :) Got some ideas after reading your text and manage to get a little bit better lead.
Kirrre (22)
State Citizen

Postby Netris » 09 Oct 2016, 05:25

Hi guys, 1st time posting here.
I've got a recurring problem with my lead I can't seem to fix. There's a hissing sound, a bit like a white noise I've not been able to get rid of.
The lead is made of 4 layers like explained in the Concept Art's tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj1LqfGiRSc)

Here's a little example of what the lead sounds like

Any idea how I could get rid of this hiss would be appreciated. And feel free to tell me your feedback on the lead aswell.

Thanks a lot.
Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby Soundphase » 09 Oct 2016, 09:26

Maybe I'll make a tut on how to remove that hiss on leads without affecting treble.. saw other people complaining about that and there's clever way around solving the problem
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby Netris » 09 Oct 2016, 09:36

Soundphase:Maybe I'll make a tut on how to remove that hiss on leads without affecting treble.. saw other people complaining about that and there's clever way around solving the problem

That would be great. This problem has driven me nuts for weeks.
Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby Soundphase » 09 Oct 2016, 13:37

Netris:
Soundphase:Maybe I'll make a tut on how to remove that hiss on leads without affecting treble.. saw other people complaining about that and there's clever way around solving the problem

I'll make the tutorial when I can get home today. Which DAW do you use?
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby Netris » 09 Oct 2016, 15:41

Soundphase:
Netris:

I'll make the tutorial when I can get home today. Which DAW do you use?

There's no rush, take your time. And I'm using Ableton.
Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby Soundphase » 09 Oct 2016, 22:38

Here's the tut. I know you said you use Abelton but everything can be translated. The principals are the same.

Hope that helps.
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby Netris » 10 Oct 2016, 05:34

Soundphase:Here's the tut. I know you said you use Abelton but everything can be translated. The principals are the same.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. I'll try that as soon as possible. And don't worry, I've used FL a few years before switching to Ableton so that's not an issue.
Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby Netris » 10 Oct 2016, 18:09

Just another question Soundphase. Since I'm adding sustain and decay in the filter env, how do I do the "plucky" cutt-off effect ?
Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby dhamiri_k » 10 Oct 2016, 19:08

Netris:Just another question Soundphase. Since I'm adding sustain and decay in the filter env, how do I do the "plucky" cutt-off effect ?

You could send the filter envelope to another empty modulation envelopes if I'm not mistaken. you can turn on the decay slight up and let the sustain at 0. Or you could modulate the pitch by the same method but you adjusting the pitch, making your lead "punchy" and plucky

hope this helps
Hi I'm Dhamiri-K ;D
dhamiri_k (21)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Soundphase » 10 Oct 2016, 19:25

Well on other synths you can route new envelopes to the filter, so use one of the new envelopes to modulate the hiss and then just use the global filter env with a short decay to give the pluck cutoff effect..on Sylenth it makes things easy, since toxic biohazzard doesn't give that possibility, you could just simply make a new macro for the Decay of the filter envelope and make another macro for the filter amount. Set the max for those to be the values in the vid, and then simply automate them. So you have 3 automation clips which would give you full customization on how the sound filters. OR Just make clone of the lead which is for filtering only, so you have "filtering lead" and "main lead" when any lead sound filters in lowpass; there's no hiss, so you don't have to apply any "engineering" on that.
Last edited by Soundphase on 10 Oct 2016, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby Netris » 10 Oct 2016, 19:28

Thanks a lot dhamiri_k and Soundphase, I'll try that :)
Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby Netris » 11 Oct 2016, 15:09

Do you still hear a hiss ?

Netris (27)
State Tourist

Postby Soundphase » 11 Oct 2016, 15:43

Netris:Do you still hear a hiss ?

Nope, there's no negative hiss that I can hear. Something to note - if you listen to close to the lead without much reverb and delay, you can begin to think there's something negative there when there actually isn't. Reverb and delay is a hugely important mechanic in leads, they make the whole lead sound smooth and particularly smoothen the high frequencies, chorus can as well but you often would use chorus to re-emphasise the sounds character. try adding some more reverb with pre-delay to make it sound more 3d
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles