Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

KICKS | General, Troubleshooting, etc

Sound design and production in general

Postby Phazon » 11 Nov 2015, 20:29

Starkast:Hi guys, Decided to make new kick. Any feedback? imo i cannot get the right amout of distortion without fucking it up with EQ.

Nice punch and tone. What do you mean by fucking up the distortion with EQ? Do you mean EQing too much before a distortion?

Just EQ so you get a good sound, then distort and only put at most 50% mix.
Phazon
State Newcomer

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2015, 01:58

-edit- wrong topic, my bad
Snap (33)
State Citizen

Postby Digital Shifter » 01 Jan 2016, 13:35

Yo guys, I have spend thousands and thousands of hours on my kick design but now I have some trouble by finding the right way to pitch my kick perfectly.
The only tool I have at this moment which is the tool I am not that familiar with is the time and pitch machine in Logic Pro X.
Does anyone here have experience with that?
Or does anybody else know another program?
Behind the curtain of everyday's consciousness..
Digital Shifter (22)
State Celebrity

Postby ushanka_guy » 01 Jan 2016, 18:39

Digital Shifter:Yo guys, I have spend thousands and thousands of hours on my kick design but now I have some trouble by finding the right way to pitch my kick perfectly.
The only tool I have at this moment which is the tool I am not that familiar with is the time and pitch machine in Logic Pro X.

You could try out Adobe - Audition if you havent already, I had my best results so far with it. There are also parameters like "overlapping" and "splicing frequency" where you can adjust the character of the pitched kick. Well you better just try it out yourself :P theres a 30 day free demo :D
ushanka_guy
State Citizen

Postby Digital Shifter » 01 Jan 2016, 20:20

Thanks! :)
Behind the curtain of everyday's consciousness..
Digital Shifter (22)
State Celebrity

Postby GianaWana » 05 Jan 2016, 04:29

Digital Shifter:Yo guys, I have spend thousands and thousands of hours on my kick design but now I have some trouble by finding the right way to pitch my kick perfectly.

kontakt..i use kontakt and is very good..i was using cool edit pro too..but kontakt is better imo
QLIMAX 2011| HARDBASS 2012 | QLIMAX 2012 | QBASE 2013 | QLIMAX 2013 | XQLUSIVE LEGENDS | QLIMAX 2014 | HARDBASS 2016 | QLIMAX 2016
GianaWana
State Senior Citizen

Postby General Guyble » 11 Jan 2016, 00:29

I think Time & Pitch Machine in Logic is already a very good tool. You should do some testing with that.
I also got some decent results with iZotope RX Advanced.
General Guyble
State Newcomer

Postby GoutetsuDJ » 31 Jan 2016, 12:01

Hey guys, who knows how to make a really hard kick like this one at 0:32??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UapPzU3zfm8
GoutetsuDJ
State Outsider

Postby ushanka_guy » 31 Jan 2016, 21:20

GoutetsuDJ:Hey guys, who knows how to make a really hard kick like this one at 0:32??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UapPzU3zfm8

I think thats just a punch with a lot of reverb on the tail of the kick. I once did a similar kick(but mine doesnt sound as good as deletes :D). I kept it pretty simple, for the punch I used a normal kick with a few effects. I didnt create the tail part as you would normally do(eq, dist, eq, dist etc). I just took a simple club kick and put a lot of reverb on it(a lot of decay time + wet 100%). I exported that, cut of the attack and then I had the tail :+

Here is a demo: delete kick(3).wav
Still needs a lot of work until it is like deletes kick but I think thats a good base
ushanka_guy
State Citizen

Postby Epoch » 12 Feb 2016, 05:54

A lot of feed back happening in the troubleshooting section
Epoch
State Newcomer

Postby Shaoshi » 17 Mar 2016, 11:23

Hey guys, when i'm creating kicks, I can't seem to get enough high end? Boosting highs gives too many noisy artifacts, and sounds like shit, any tips?
Shaoshi
State Outsider

Postby leeroy » 17 Mar 2016, 16:51

Shaoshi:Hey guys, when i'm creating kicks, I can't seem to get enough high end? Boosting highs gives too many noisy artifacts, and sounds like shit, any tips?

you have to give it more distortion, the "pros" start the kick chain with a very overdriven sound if you don't already know, um by overdriving the sound it creates a balance of high end frequencies to work with

If you don't start with an overdriven kickdrum sample, you have to use many, many distortion plugins, even when you think "I can fix this with eq", usually you can't and the simple problem is that you need more distortion + eq and not just eq

btw timestretching also causes noise artifacts which cannot be removed with eq, so beware of that.. and in my opinion you should never really timestretch a bass layerwhich has frequencies over 4khz
leeroy (27)
State Native

Postby davidmartin » 25 Mar 2016, 22:03

I posted this earlier in a different topic, I appologise in advance for reposting or if this is in the wrong place but the topic doesn't seem too active. Anyway, I made a kick - the end result at first, is the first one, after a while of editing it resulted in the second kick in the excerpt. Somewhere along the way it seemed to end up sounding quite dull and less alive - it didn't have that "gwang" sound I was hoping for, I would have just traced my steps backwords to analyze and change it but I stupidly never saved it after the editing and only ended up with the finished samples. Getting to the point, what advice would you give to make the kick sound more alive, if you know what I mean? Here it is:
davidmartin (22)
State Newcomer

Postby PeterPan » 31 Mar 2016, 21:43

I am sitting now about 100 hours on making kicks. I simply don't get the right sound.
So a maybe difficult question:
When you're creating a kick, for what are you listening to ? Is it the grawl, the distorted part about 500-1000 hz ? The more distorted the better ? What is the clou ?
I often think i am on the right way. And than, when I compare the sound to professional kicks it's different, less pro. And it's not about reverb or something, its about the harmonics in the distortion - i get the "bark" effect, i get the low part, but the tail (the bark) is not so full.
PeterPan
State Outsider

Postby CAP » 31 Mar 2016, 23:18

PeterPan:I am sitting now about 100 hours on making kicks. I simply don't get the right sound.
So a maybe difficult question:
When you're creating a kick, for what are you listening to ? Is it the grawl, the distorted part about 500-1000 hz ? The more distorted the better ? What is the clou ?
I often think i am on the right way. And than, when I compare the sound to professional kicks it's different, less pro. And it's not about reverb or something, its about the harmonics in the distortion - i get the "bark" effect, i get the low part, but the tail (the bark) is not so full.

what i listen to is the whole kick. not just the snap in the beginning, not just the mid distortion, not just the bass.....all of it, all at once.....BUT, that's not to say that i won't layer kicks for specific purposes. IE. this kick will be the snap, this kick will be the distortion, this kick will push the low end.

for a more extended tail of the kick, try some compression or limiting to bring the quieter stuff up and extend it out. or if you're using a synth, extend the decay. or find a sample with a longer tail to it
CAP (32)
Producer

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles