Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Kick Topic (Give feedback before posting yours)

Sound design and production in general

Postby Soundphase » 26 Feb 2016, 17:08

@markokask bass tail is decent but the punch must be changed, the structure of the punch needs to be different, mids are too thin, you could try and add new layers

this is my own style of kick based on earlier style (2006)

here is a ver 2 of the kick (edited)

this kick is not meant to have much frequency content below 100hz (it's on purpose), would like to know which version your prefer, and to know if you think the punch works or not
Last edited by Soundphase on 07 Apr 2016, 13:44, edited 5 times in total.
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby djspeed87 » 04 Mar 2016, 18:52

@ markokask : nice dist and punch but more sub bass
@ Soundphase : two kick short kick work and work

My last RAW Kick :
djspeed87
State Citizen

Postby Soundphase » 05 Mar 2016, 15:15

@djspeed Good kick but I don't like the RaW style

My kick is supposed to be short as it is supposed to be in a similar style to the oldschool kicks:

I think it might be an option to resample my kick more but I also like how it sounds now..
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby davidmartin » 24 Mar 2016, 16:49

@Soundphase I feel that the first kick there needs a little more "oomph" if you know what I mean? try adding some bass into it - would be nice for those intros.
The second kick however - I think you've done very well making that oldschool sound everyone is after these days :D good job!

My kick here started with the first part, and after hours of editing & tweeking - without anything being saved appart from the end result samples - is the second kick you hear. What could I do to make it sound more alive if you know what I mean? Thanks in advance!

davidmartin (22)
State Newcomer

Postby PTR » 29 Mar 2016, 15:38

@davidmartin The second Kick definitely sounds better. In my opinion its not punchy enough. Get the punch more noticeable(eqing). I would also try to turn the sub a little louder.

So, i worked again on my Kick. Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/ptrofficial/kick/s-eoOOd
PTR
State Outsider

Postby Xenahort » 06 Apr 2016, 08:26

PTR:@davidmartin The second Kick definitely sounds better. In my opinion its not punchy enough. Get the punch more noticeable(eqing). I would also try to turn the sub a little louder.

So, i worked again on my Kick. Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/ptrofficial/kick/s-eoOOd

Link doesn't work
Xenahort
State Newcomer

Postby DarkAsylum » 04 May 2016, 14:15

@davidmartin The second Kick definitely sounds better.I would increase the sub and work on the tone of the kick sounds a bit unstable when you pitch.

@djspeed87 Great kick! :dance:

@ Soundphase : I like the second kick, it is very 2006, but i think the punch needs a little more character

Haven't produced in almost a year, it's still pretty rough.

DarkAsylum
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 04 May 2016, 22:16

DarkAsylum:@ Soundphase : I like the second kick, it is very 2006, but i think the punch needs a little more character

tnx I agree about the punch, it's being changed
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby Soundphase » 27 May 2016, 19:57

@DA nice gated kicks, reminds me of sys-x tracks

seemed to have made a perfect reverse bass.. by experimenting

it was made like this -
Show spoiler
Vanguard BS Super Sq2 preset (switch off onboard fx) - modify envelope so it has no attack, short decay - eq the sound so it is not muddy - distort severely with buzz analog distortion (so the sound gets destroyed) - load sound in audio editor and timestretch severely with monophonic timestretch - look for an area of the audio where a smooth tonal bass timbre can be heard and save this region of audio as a new sample - boost 100hz area, lower mids and lower some treble - link a reverb in parallel with input gain of about 55% - compress sound

most of the trick is in the reverb with a negative predelay value
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby Snap » 30 May 2016, 16:54

davidmartin:@Soundphase I feel that the first kick there needs a little more "oomph" if you know what I mean? try adding some bass into it - would be nice for those intros.
The second kick however - I think you've done very well making that oldschool sound everyone is after these days :D good job!

My kick here started with the first part, and after hours of editing & tweeking - without anything being saved appart from the end result samples - is the second kick you hear. What could I do to make it sound more alive if you know what I mean? Thanks in advance!

You got the twangy sound down, but I think boosting the highs a little would make it sound more crisp. Also the most vital thing is the punch, layer in a new tok sound. I'd probably use this for the mid-high part of a kick and replace the tok/bass.

Two in there.
Snap (32)
State Citizen

Postby Phazon » 13 Jul 2016, 20:59

davidmartin: There's several things you could do to improve your kick.

1. The punch needs a fast transient "tok" to introduce the kick properly, at the moment it sounds like a "hwop" instead of a tokky "kwah" sound. Try adding some snare transients or something to the very first 20ms or so of the kick to give it that sound.
2. The sub bass and bass sounds very unstable. This is easy to fix, though, by layering a new sub and bass layer underneath. Smash your original kick sample/909 through some fucking heavy distortion, lowpass at 200hz and mix it underneath your kick that has a 200hz highpass.
3. The character sounds a little strange and washed out. if you've used reverbs while distorting, turn the mix knob down on them.

DarkAsylum: Nice and deep sounding gated kicks, but the punch could be a bit better in the second kick.

Soundphase: Sick sound! Thanks for sharing how you made it, could be invaluable in the future. Your previous two oldschool kicks are pretty legit, too, keep it up. Is that a sampled screech, by any chance?

Snap: Your tail seems nice and crunchy, with a fat bass, but seems to end a bit short. Are you fading out the kick just before the next kick comes in or something? Your punch needs work, though. The tok is a bit too much.

Here's one I've been working on:

Best kick I've made so far imo.
Phazon
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 13 Jul 2016, 21:29

Phazon:Soundphase: Sick sound! Thanks for sharing how you made it, could be invaluable in the future. Your previous two oldschool kicks are pretty legit, too, keep it up. Is that a sampled screech, by any chance?

thnx it was a screech I created myself with a freeware polyphonic synth (KX-Polymod) and then resampled with Paulstretch and EQ as well as some more pitch-stretching.
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby psychosis » 16 Jul 2016, 18:50

@Phazon: Solid kick - sounds pretty much finished, nice punch, good bass, kick is pitching nicely - nothing more to add I'd say ;)

@Snap: First kick is better imo (second one is kinda annoying) it's not "distorted to death", but I like that kind of clean kicks. You could try distroting it slightly more but I don't think it's necessary.

@Soundphase: Sweet reverse bass, work a little bit on more powerful punch, layer new (clean) sub under it and it will be a floor-killer :)

@DarkAsylum: I like both kicks, bass is rolling nicely there!

@djspeed87: _O_

My try (after not producing for quite a while):
psychosis (27)
State Citizen

Postby Soundphase » 17 Jul 2016, 23:50

@psychosis first kick is nice, has an unique flow
Soundphase (27)
State Native

Postby The RaveN » 01 Aug 2016, 18:19

@Psychosis
Maybe some modulation on the character? I like the tok/click/punch though. ;D

Here is my kick. I know, Shitty 2007 dance piano, but now you can hear the kick better. After 16 beats the polarity is reversed fyi.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183 ... 303491.mp3
Some edits:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/183 ... 7797yy.mp3
The RaveN (18)
State Tourist

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles