Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Why was 2006 such a good year for hardstyle

Postby Soundphase » 24 Mar 2014, 16:47

Shadow Interaction:
SpiRiT`:2006-2009 were definitely the best years for hardstyle for me. I remember getting so excited every time when a new preview or rip came out. Getting that 'wow'-feeling at nearly every track that got released... I totally miss that nowadays, there are only a handfull of tracks that get released that I like, but no more 'wow'-feeling :(

I so much share the same feeling here. I believe it's also because vinyl got dumped, making digital music less interesting to have... what I mean by this is that vinyl was the format that made producers proud to be what they were. If you could make music good enough for vinyl, then you've accomplished something. It puts much more value in the producing of it, unlike the nowadays war "who can make the best of the same shit" and "who can release the most/fastest"

This is so true
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby ChristianHardstyle » 24 Mar 2014, 19:47

SpiRiT`:2006-2009 were definitely the best years for hardstyle for me. I remember getting so excited every time when a new preview or rip came out. Getting that 'wow'-feeling at nearly every track that got released... I totally miss that nowadays, there are only a handfull of tracks that get released that I like, but no more 'wow'-feeling :(

You said exactly how i feel too :'(
--- Retired producer from Italy who loves reverse bass ---
Sunriser - http://www.soundcloud.com/sunriserdj
ChristianHardstyle (21)
Producer

Postby Dutchboyuk » 27 Mar 2014, 14:25

Soundphase:
Shadow Interaction:

I so much share the same feeling here. I believe it's also because vinyl got dumped, making digital music less interesting to have... what I mean by this is that vinyl was the format that made producers proud to be what they were. If you could make music good enough for vinyl, then you've accomplished something. It puts much more value in the producing of it, unlike the nowadays war "who can make the best of the same shit" and "who can release the most/fastest"

This is so true

I dunno... I think it's just a part of growing up. Of course EVERY tune is fucking exciting when it's fresh n brand new, and then as you become more aware of the context/background and nuances of the music, you become harder to 'impress'. Just means your taste is more refined, which is a good thing imo.
Dutchboyuk (26)
State Citizen

Postby Shadow Interaction » 27 Mar 2014, 23:09

Dutchboyuk:
Soundphase:
Shadow Interaction:I so much share the same feeling here. I believe it's also because vinyl got dumped, making digital music less interesting to have... what I mean by this is that vinyl was the format that made producers proud to be what they were. If you could make music good enough for vinyl, then you've accomplished something. It puts much more value in the producing of it, unlike the nowadays war "who can make the best of the same shit" and "who can release the most/fastest"

This is so true

I dunno... I think it's just a part of growing up. Of course EVERY tune is fucking exciting when it's fresh n brand new, and then as you become more aware of the context/background and nuances of the music, you become harder to 'impress'. Just means your taste is more refined, which is a good thing imo.

yes and no... from your point of view, it's an evolvement.. which is a good thing because music simply gets better... technically. more criticism takes things to a new level, thus making it more interesting.
however! We've learned hundreds of times before that with 'refining', you're also taking away alot of soul. what I mean with that is that the technical part will dominate the creative part. (this also happens because we have more sources to work with!)
I'm not saying that these days no one is being creative, but what I try to say is that in the old days, a good track would still be a good track, despite the quality. If you would make a good tune but the quality wouldn't stand up to "the (refined) standards", the track instantly gets put down as a bad track, or at the very least "it has potential ideas", spoken or unspoken.

simply put:
unrefined (old times) = more soul
refined (modern times) = more body
Shadow Interaction (30)
Producer

Postby ChristianHardstyle » 29 Mar 2014, 10:58

Shadow Interaction:
Dutchboyuk:
Soundphase:
This is so true

yes and no... from your point of view, it's an evolvement.. which is a good thing because music simply gets better... technically. more criticism takes things to a new level, thus making it more interesting.
however! We've learned hundreds of times before that with 'refining', you're also taking away alot of soul. what I mean with that is that the technical part will dominate the creative part. (this also happens because we have more sources to work with!)
I'm not saying that these days no one is being creative, but what I try to say is that in the old days, a good track would still be a good track, despite the quality. If you would make a good tune but the quality wouldn't stand up to "the (refined) standards", the track instantly gets put down as a bad track, or at the very least "it has potential ideas", spoken or unspoken.

simply put:
unrefined (old times) = more soul
refined (modern times) = more body

Honestly, i think soul is far more important than body in a song, back then producers cared more about the feeling that the song needed to give, and less about the sound-design, but today it's the exact opposite.
--- Retired producer from Italy who loves reverse bass ---
Sunriser - http://www.soundcloud.com/sunriserdj
ChristianHardstyle (21)
Producer

Postby Soundphase » 29 Mar 2014, 13:51

the funny thing is that there wasn't always soul in hardstyle. In the years like 2004 hardstyle was all about rare sounds and good rhythms, it was mostly dark/mysterious. Then after 2006 soul started coming into hardstyle. People began to make good soulful melodies in the years 07' and 08' and this was the time where people began to express their own attitudes through hardstyle. It was a memorable time because of that. Headhunterz expressed himself with a really cyberpunk attitude and Noisecontrollers showed unique creativity in the genre, opening new doors to hardstyle. Everyone decided to start going original then and after 2009 stuff started becoming commercial
Last edited by Soundphase on 29 Mar 2014, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby ceero » 29 Mar 2014, 13:54

Soundphase:the funny thing is that there wasn't always soul in hardstyle. In the years like 2004 hardstyle was all about rare sounds and good rhythms, it was mostly dark/mysterious. Then after 2006 soul started coming into hardstyle. People began to make good soulful melodies and the years 07' and 08' and this was the time where people began to express their own attitudes through hardstyle. It was a memorable time because of that. Headhunterz expressed himself with a really cyberpunk attitude and Noisecontrollers showed unique creativity in the genre opening new doors to hardstyle. Everyone decided to start going original I know after 2009 stuff started becoming commercial

So soul in music equals melody in your opinion?

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (25)
State Retired Person

Postby Soundphase » 29 Mar 2014, 14:01

ceero:
Soundphase:the funny thing is that there wasn't always soul in hardstyle. In the years like 2004 hardstyle was all about rare sounds and good rhythms, it was mostly dark/mysterious. Then after 2006 soul started coming into hardstyle. People began to make good soulful melodies and the years 07' and 08' and this was the time where people began to express their own attitudes through hardstyle. It was a memorable time because of that. Headhunterz expressed himself with a really cyberpunk attitude and Noisecontrollers showed unique creativity in the genre opening new doors to hardstyle. Everyone decided to start going original I know after 2009 stuff started becoming commercial

So soul in music equals melody in your opinion?

No not exactly, melody can be just one thing but soul in the music has to do with the whole concept and feeling of the track, even sounds themselves can have soul
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby SCH » 29 Mar 2014, 14:58

There wasn't any originality in 2004? :(
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (25)
Producer

Postby Soundphase » 29 Mar 2014, 15:39

SCH:There wasn't any originality in 2004? :(

there is originality in every year. but when you face the truth, the same sampled bass lines were used over and over again in that year and the same goes for sampled screeches
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby SCH » 29 Mar 2014, 16:25

Soundphase:
SCH:There wasn't any originality in 2004? :(

there is originality in every year. but when you face the truth, the same sampled bass lines were used over and over again in that year and the same goes for sampled screeches

Seeing that you adore 2007-2008, those years weren't any better with hardkick10 and digiwave all over the place.
Followed by years where sampling the Followers kick was cool, followed the years where everyone used distorted square leads.
Trends come and go.
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (25)
Producer

Postby Shadow Interaction » 29 Mar 2014, 17:04

Soundphase:the funny thing is that there wasn't always soul in hardstyle. In the years like 2004 hardstyle was all about rare sounds and good rhythms, it was mostly dark/mysterious. Then after 2006 soul started coming into hardstyle. People began to make good soulful melodies in the years 07' and 08' and this was the time where people began to express their own attitudes through hardstyle. It was a memorable time because of that. Headhunterz expressed himself with a really cyberpunk attitude and Noisecontrollers showed unique creativity in the genre, opening new doors to hardstyle. Everyone decided to start going original then and after 2009 stuff started becoming commercial

You seem to be missing the point about the whole soul thing. People always used hardstyle to express themselves, and no it doesn't equal melodies. Melodies have always been part of hardstyle, for example dive into the early years and go listen some Warp Brothers, Lars Tindy and Arome. Those are some producers that added alot of melodies in their tracks.

The whole soul thing is all about creating a new experience, something memorial, something people WILL say that it's friggin good because it doesn't look cool, but it is cool to remember.
This needs alot of open mindness in the genre to work, and in the last few years, that has been pushed away by alot of things.
I'm not agreeing that bringing early hardstyle back would instantly bring back the soul (might even be too late for that!) but if alot of producers would do that, it might bring back some openmindness (instead of thinking openmindness is only a crossbreed of hs x house or hs x core)

good examples of 'soul' the past few years, imo would include:
- noisecontrollers
- australia's movement in hardstyle (bioweapon, toneshifterz for example)
- chain reaction - the record breakin
- theracords and spoontech
- the invention of subground

theres only one flaw to this tho: laziness and time (constantly trying to re-create the succes from the first hit, and believe it or not, this has been the downfall of many musicians not only in EDM)
Last edited by Shadow Interaction on 29 Mar 2014, 17:19, edited 4 times in total.
Shadow Interaction (30)
Producer

Postby Soundphase » 29 Mar 2014, 17:11

I actually liked all those years in hardstyle below 2009 and even past 2009 there would be a good track here and there. But I'm frightened with the way hardstyle is heading, I barely paid any attention to the music in the last two years cause it's really becoming garbage. I don't think this is even a matter of opinion, it's the truth that the quality of the music has reached a new low
Soundphase (27)
State Celebrity

Postby Dutchboyuk » 04 Apr 2014, 13:20

Soundphase:I actually liked all those years in hardstyle below 2009 and even past 2009 there would be a good track here and there. But I'm frightened with the way hardstyle is heading, I barely paid any attention to the music in the last two years cause it's really becoming garbage. I don't think this is even a matter of opinion, it's the truth that the quality of the music has reached a new low

Definitely confusing the meaning of opinion there. It's pretty much un-debateable that the quality of the music constantly improves as time goes on. Otherwise what'd be the point.

Btw here's why 2006 was such a good year for hardstyle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalgia. I predict in another 8 years there'll be people going 'remember 2013/14 and how great hardstyle was just before blah blah'
Dutchboyuk (26)
State Citizen

Postby Vicious » 04 Apr 2014, 14:13

Dutchboyuk:Btw here's why 2006 was such a good year for hardstyle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalgia. I predict in another 8 years there'll be people going 'remember 2013/14 and how great hardstyle was just before blah blah'

lol I don't think so tim
Vicious
State Hero

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles