Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Thoughts on another sub-genre of hardstyle

Postby The-SillyAk » 03 Apr 2018, 02:02

As we all know hardstyle is constantly evolving.
Throughout 2016 we saw the rise of leads and sound structures similar to Andy Svge - Gravity, then at the start of last year we saw the rise of Psystyle. Now, it's taken a new turn, which to me is going back to it's roots but in a modern way.. although I am not sure what to call it.
Instead, I'll give you an example: Crystal Mad - How it's done, the new sound by Endymion - Rise as Wolves or even latley Physika - my power. These tracks capture what I mean.

It's a combination of the raw kick with simpler melodies, rougher leads and more drive.

What does everyone think? Also, what would you label this as? To me, this is pure modern Hardstyle. It's not euphoric and it's not raw.
Can't go past those Alan Watts samples.
The-SillyAk
State Citizen

Postby Valadia » 03 Apr 2018, 03:03

Sounds like normal raw to me..
Soundcloud
Facebook
kraczk:Also Hard Driver and Digital Punk are notorious for being edgier than US school shooters.
Valadia (20)
Producer

Postby Trantix » 03 Apr 2018, 04:38

This sounds like what a lot of people call Rawphoric. Essentially raw sounds with more euphoric melodies.

In my opinion, modern hardstyle is well hardstyle. The genre that encompasses both the euphoric and raw and everything in between. When I put genres to all the hardstyle songs I have, I usually use Euphoric Hardstyle, Rawstyle, Rawphoric, and Hardstyle.

Euphoric Hardstyle has more of the uplifting and sad melodies. Rawstyle has the raw sounds and powerful elements in it. Rawphoric uses the uplifting and sad melodies with the same powerful elements Rawstyle has. Then everything else I just label hardstyle because it can't be defined as one of the previous. (I'm also using a couple of other terms to depict some certain sounds for my personal use. But these are essentially subgenres of the ones listed above). Now of course, this is just generalized and what I personally depict as each one.

So basically, the three songs you said, I would list them as Rawphoric. And personally, I would depict them differently and I would say stuff on Theracords Classics and songs like what Enemy Contact puts out would be more towards what you're saying. I would depict these as separate things because the feelings in them are completely different to me.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby bassfaceBAM » 03 Apr 2018, 05:40

I think it's very much just hardstyle now as in the songs you mention. Euphoric is just far too soft to be labelled hardstyle so calling it euphoric worked for me. Raw became to hard and goes towards the hardcore side. This in between is straight up hard style. But really it's all hardstyle, some artists just have different approaches. Don't think we need to label it with anything else.
bassfaceBAM (29)
State Celebrity

Postby Trantix » 03 Apr 2018, 06:21

bassfaceBAM:I think it's very much just hardstyle now as in the songs you mention. Euphoric is just far too soft to be labelled hardstyle so calling it euphoric worked for me. Raw became to hard and goes towards the hardcore side. This in between is straight up hard style. But really it's all hardstyle, some artists just have different approaches. Don't think we need to label it with anything else.

Never thought of it the way you said it. That's an interesting way to view it.

I label songs with sub genres (and sometimes even subgenres of the subgenres) to segregate. If I want to listen to some harder stuff that isn't hardcore, rawstyle is where I go for example. With this example in the OP, if I wanted to listen to something that reflected more so what hardstyle used to sound like but with a more modern touch, I still label it hardstyle. The song examples that were mentioned I prefer as Rawphoric so all the songs with that feeling are together. I even have a subgenre for the darker side of rawstyle. But that's just me and it's just because I like to clump similar sounding songs together so I can easier play songs with the same feeling.

This is why I'm neutral on the genre wars. I don't think that there should be a new sub genre for the type of songs that was mentioned per say. I think it should more come down to how you personally want to classify a song. If you want to classify "Sub Zero Project - The Project" as Rock 'n Roll, go for it. Extreme example but if for some reason you want to, do it. But keep in mind that others may classify it as something different.

So for the OP, I would classify those songs as Rawphoric, but if someone wants to put a different name to it or have a different classification to these types of songs, go for it. Just keep in mind others may view it differently, and to the people who view it differently, also keep in mind others may view it differently.

This of course is just my opinion on this.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby The-SillyAk » 03 Apr 2018, 07:15

I agree, it's all hardstyle in that it's between 145 and 160bpm, uses leads and distorted kicks drums.
BUT,
Some hardstyle is more 'hardstyle' than others imo. If I were showing people what Hardstyle was, I wouldn't show them a Crisis Era track, nor would I show a super raw rebellion track. It doesn't capture Hardstyle imo.

I would say 'Rawphoric' (to me) = Hardstyle. As it's in between everything...
But there are soo many different things to classify as Hardstyle all the way from Destiny, to Zombie to Year of summer to Tonight to Take It Back (Delete) to D.E.C.I.B.E.L (Zatox) anthem.

It's an interesting perspective. The amount of sub-genres and sub-sub-genres is immense.. possibly even sub-sub-sub genres. I think I heard a track that had a similar style to Crisis Era but used a raw kick with reverse bass... I was like wot the fuck.
If I find it again I'll post it.
The-SillyAk
State Citizen

Postby Digital Shifter » 03 Apr 2018, 10:05

I will give you my thought.
I HATE it when people put music into small boxes such as, this is euphoric, this is rawphoric, this is raw.
Saying things such as: ''It's too soft to call it hardstyle so euphoric will do''
Please don't do this.
You just sound dumb because you think it's too soft doesn't mean it isn't hardstyle.
Just because it's too raw doesn't mean it's not hardstyle anymore either.
You think you're an expert in music and out of the sudden you put music into boxes?
Like what does it matter??
Do you even enjoy music lately by putting it into boxes?
Does it make your autistic life better out of the sudden or the music?
If a song sound good into my ears, I'm not gonna put it into a box with a label on it.
I enjoy the music like always.
You guys are way too busy with so called 'sub-genres' instead enjoying the harmonic structure of a track and the feel/idea behind it.
It's all about the music and it always has been
Behind the curtain of everyday's consciousness..
Digital Shifter (23)
State Celebrity

Postby Valadia » 03 Apr 2018, 10:08

Digital Shifter:I will give you my thought.
I HATE it when people put music into small boxes such as, this is euphoric, this is rawphoric, this is raw.
Saying things such as: ''It's too soft to call it hardstyle so euphoric will do''
Please don't do this.
You just sound dumb because you think it's too soft doesn't mean it isn't hardstyle.
You think you're an expert in music and out of the sudden you put music into boxes?
If a song sound good into my ears, I'm not gonna put it into a box with a label on it.
You guys are way too busy with so called 'sub-genres' instead enjoying the harmonic structure of a track and the feel/idea behind it.

First of all, calm your tits.
Second of all, "boxes", genres and subgenres are a great way to find music you really like and avoid music you don't like. Just because you don't like the idea of it, doesn't mean you have to go on some mini rant.
Soundcloud
Facebook
kraczk:Also Hard Driver and Digital Punk are notorious for being edgier than US school shooters.
Valadia (20)
Producer

Postby Emre » 03 Apr 2018, 10:11

I do agree with DS' intentions, I'm sick of putting everything in boxes, but wow, what's with the agression again..

Seriously?
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby The-SillyAk » 03 Apr 2018, 10:46

DS, we are promoting a civil discussion around hardstyle and defining what we regard as hardstyle. Providing and respecting eachothers opinions. Fuck off with your negative attitude mate, either contribute something meaningful or don't bother.
The-SillyAk
State Citizen

Postby Doctor Dave » 03 Apr 2018, 13:02

I personally really like when a new sound comes along that producers are passionate about and can use it to add something valuable to their music. I don't think we need to re-label it, it's all just Hardstyle IMO. Hardstyle to me is an encompassing term, like Techno for example, where you have minimal, hard, acid, etc.

What I don't like is when producers like TNT hear a new trend and make 100 shit tracks in that style because it's the new trend.
Doctor Dave (30)
Producer

Postby Emre » 03 Apr 2018, 13:04

Hardstyle to me is an encompassing term, like Techno for example, where you have minimal, hard, acid, etc.

This is excactly how I think about it. :)
It has nearly broken me.
Emre (24)
State Retired Person

Postby Soundphase » 03 Apr 2018, 15:05

The-SillyAk: going back to it's roots but in a modern way.. although I am not sure what to call it.

but what if there was a more tangible case of that? I think a earlier sound comeback in a modern way would be good for hardstyle. It doesn't need to mean reverse bass, it could be like other calmer kind of kicks like in 2006... but fresh.
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby Trantix » 03 Apr 2018, 16:06

Digital Shifter:I will give you my thought.
Please don't do this.

Some people don't like the full spectrum of hardstyle. So for them wouldn't it make more sense to search for one sub genre to find what they prefer than searching Hardstyle and having to weave through a bunch of songs they don't like? Especially if they're not familiar with the songs. And same applies for if you only one to listen to a certain style at the moment. Like if I wanted to listen to hardstyle that is more uplifting, ill look for Euphoric Hardstyle. Otherwise, ill get a bunch of stuff that isn't that and that's just a waste.

And to answer your question, yes and I would say I enjoy it more because now I can listen to a style of music without having to worry about hearing something else. Like if I'm in a really bad mood, some uplifting melody won't help me, the rawest and most aggressive will. So I can gather all my rawstyle songs together and not worry about hearing a euphoric one ruin it for the time being.

Everyone has their own opinions, you just don't like sub genres which is fine. I'm not saying there's has to be. Just understand that others find use in it and that when people say rawstyle or whatever else, well it's a part of hardstyle so in your mind, you can still classify it as hardstyle. That's what a sub genre means
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby PiozMioz » 03 Apr 2018, 16:42

It's difficult to avoid 'boxes' when a music style gets more and more diverse imo.
First of all in the end it's all hardstyle for me BUT:
Best example for me are my playlists. On spotify I got playlists for Rawstyle, Euphoric, Oldschool, Rawphoric, Freestyle etc. Not because this isn't all the same genre for me, but I listen to different types of hardstyle at different moods. For example Rawstyle at the gym ( :rofl: ), Euphoric for relaxing summerish mood, Rawphoric for partymood and so on.
And I think that's not a bad thing at all. Hardstyle gets more and more diverse and you need to sort out what you don't like. Some people hate this psyhype, tbh I love it (as long as it's well produced).
As long as nobody is taking it too serious with 'subgenres' and 'raw vs euphoric' things than there is no problem for me. :)
PiozMioz
State Citizen

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles