Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

My theory of hardstyle in 2018.

Postby niconietom » 20 Apr 2018, 00:20

To me the reason why Sub Zero Project are so popular is because they're the absolut pioneers of what is the exact definition of hardstyle in 2018, really hard kicks with dark and atmospheric melodies. Everyone is kinda following them doing "harder" tracks, Code Black, Devin Wild, JNXD, Headhunterz, even Toneshifterz are using kicks that 2 years ago would've been considered like a raw kick; that's why they earned playing the Red stage on saturday this year. I wouldn't consider Sub Zero Project like raw anymore, they're just hardstyle. They're pushing our style to be harder, but still uplifting, just like the old days, but improved in my opinion. To me, the "extremely euphoric pop-esque" days of hardstyle are coming to an end and that's because this new "wave" sounds so much more like "real" hardstyle, and that's the direction we should follow.
Other examples of producers who are leading this new wave are Phuture Noize, D-Sturb, MYST and even RVAGE since he joined A2 Records.

What's your opinion?

Ps. Not hating on euphoric, I love it too, but this is my opinion.

I want to know yours!
Welcome to the aftershock.
niconietom (21)
State Native

Postby Trantix » 20 Apr 2018, 00:43

This type of sound actually has been around for a while back with Hardstyle Mafia and other Spoontech Records artists. I think they kept this sound flowing through the years. Idk if the artists you listed took inspiration from that or somewhere else, I'm just saying this sound was still kept alive. I don't think SZP popularized this sound. I think it was more so Phuture Noize. SZP I think definitely had a big impact, especially since their Qlimax set. The type of kick SZP uses I think was popularized by them. Something interesting, and I don't remember where I read this, but I had heard SZP, Devin Wild, and RVAGE all were in some of the same classes as each other when learning about music which explains why they have similar kicks.

TBH, I don't think the hardstyle had uplifting melodies for the most part before 2013. Of course there was Wasted Penguinz, but in general, to me, the melodies before weren't uplifting like they are today for me.

My opinion on this is that we shouldn't necessarily follow this. Most of SZP's tracks recently sound too similar to each other. It's he same kick type with relatively the same synth structure. At least how I hear it. Devin Wild last year was pretty similar imo. Phuture Noize keeps spitting out songs I like, but the main parts of his songs have similar structures. D-Sturb has fallen into a similar pattern (haven't heard his stuff from the past couple of months however). RVAGE and Myst are the only two here who I think brings something different with every song. I've already gotten to the point where I skip over most of SZP and Devin Wild because I feel as though I already heard it. Basically, unless there starts to be slightly more diversity, I think this will get boring. Happens with every new "hype" in hardstyle it seems. People love it for the first few months, then people start complaining that they've already heard this and that it's boring.

Now of course, this is just my opinion so please don't hate. All these artists are still great artists and I'm not trying to put any down.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby niconietom » 20 Apr 2018, 00:49

Trantix:This type of sound actually has been around for a while back with Hardstyle Mafia and other Spoontech Records artists. I think they kept this sound flowing through the years. Idk if the artists you listed took inspiration from that or somewhere else, I'm just saying this sound was still kept alive. I don't think SZP popularized this sound. I think it was more so Phuture Noize. SZP I think definitely had a big impact, especially since their Qlimax set. The type of kick SZP uses I think was popularized by them. Something interesting, and I don't remember where I read this, but I had heard SZP, Devin Wild, and RVAGE all were in some of the same classes as each other when learning about music which explains why they have similar kicks.

TBH, I don't think the hardstyle had uplifting melodies for the most part before 2013. Of course there was Wasted Penguinz, but in general, to me, the melodies before weren't uplifting like they are today for me.

My opinion on this is that we shouldn't necessarily follow this. Most of SZP's tracks recently sound too similar to each other. It's he same kick type with relatively the same synth structure. At least how I hear it. Devin Wild last year was pretty similar imo. Phuture Noize keeps spitting out songs I like, but the main parts of his songs have similar structures. D-Sturb has fallen into a similar pattern (haven't heard his stuff from the past couple of months however). RVAGE and Myst are the only two here who I think brings something different with every song. I've already gotten to the point where I skip over most of SZP and Devin Wild because I feel as though I already heard it. Basically, unless there starts to be slightly more diversity, I think this will get boring. Happens with every new "hype" in hardstyle it seems. People love it for the first few months, then people start complaining that they've already heard this and that it's boring.

Now of course, this is just my opinion so please don't hate. All these artists are still great artists and I'm not trying to put any down.

Man why would I hate on your opinion, it's as valid as mine :)
I think the artists that I listed are the main reason of this kind of movement, Spoontech is really underground but it has great quality too, maybe some of the artists I mentioned above took that label as their inspiration but in a more mainstream way. I also think this is not an "hype" anymore since it all started like 15 months ago with tracks like The Project or Fire.
niconietom (21)
State Native

Postby The-SillyAk » 20 Apr 2018, 04:15

Trantix:This type of sound actually has been around for a while back with Hardstyle Mafia and other Spoontech Records artists. I think they kept this sound flowing through the years. Idk if the artists you listed took inspiration from that or somewhere else, I'm just saying this sound was still kept alive. I don't think SZP popularized this sound. I think it was more so Phuture Noize. SZP I think definitely had a big impact, especially since their Qlimax set. The type of kick SZP uses I think was popularized by them. Something interesting, and I don't remember where I read this, but I had heard SZP, Devin Wild, and RVAGE all were in some of the same classes as each other when learning about music which explains why they have similar kicks.

I think there were uplifting melodies prior to 2013, but I think the synth or sound that was used wasn't uplifting. As time has gone on, the sound has become richer and overall uplifting.

I know WZ isn't raw or whatever, but I seem him as the one artist that brings something new in every track. He doesn't really have (to me) a distinct track formula such as Ecstatic, Sound Rush or Phuture Noize. I also think Brennan Heart too, atleast recently.

Good point... people do get bored easily and say it sounds the same. But there are so many different authentic sounds within hardstyle such as Ecstatic, to TNT to Jay Reeve, to Cyber and Da Tweekaz. If you get bored with one artist, just listen to another... it's all hardstyle but in a unique form. There is A LOT of diversity in the scene, but a general movement of sound collectivley - I get that.

I think the Crystal Mad, new Endymion sound kind of hardstyle will stay though. It's so fkn powerful.
Can't go past those Alan Watts samples.
The-SillyAk
State Citizen

Postby KiLLu12258 » 20 Apr 2018, 07:15

you are right i think they set like a new standard with that style of kicks..

and i love it as it fits perfectly in euphoric tracks too.. as example nc-spirit of hardstyle

its also cool that euphoric&raw blend together i like the way hardstyle is evolving over the last year.
KiLLu12258
State Citizen

Postby niconietom » 20 Apr 2018, 11:35

KiLLu12258:you are right i think they set like a new standard with that style of kicks..

and i love it as it fits perfectly in euphoric tracks too.. as example nc-spirit of hardstyle

its also cool that euphoric&raw blend together i like the way hardstyle is evolving over the last year.

Not talking only about their kicks, but also melodies and atmospheres, And yeah, even Noisecontrollers has joined this with tracks like Spirit Of Hardstyle or Strike As A Die Hard which are great in my opinion _O_
niconietom (21)
State Native

Postby Trantix » 20 Apr 2018, 23:27

The-SillyAk:I think there were uplifting melodies prior to 2013, but I think the synth or sound that was used wasn't uplifting. As time has gone on, the sound has become richer and overall uplifting.

I know WZ isn't raw or whatever, but I seem him as the one artist that brings something new in every track. He doesn't really have (to me) a distinct track formula such as Ecstatic, Sound Rush or Phuture Noize. I also think Brennan Heart too, atleast recently.

Good point... people do get bored easily and say it sounds the same. But there are so many different authentic sounds within hardstyle such as Ecstatic, to TNT to Jay Reeve, to Cyber and Da Tweekaz. If you get bored with one artist, just listen to another... it's all hardstyle but in a unique form. There is A LOT of diversity in the scene, but a general movement of sound collectivley - I get that.

I think the Crystal Mad, new Endymion sound kind of hardstyle will stay though. It's so fkn powerful.

Yea I was meaning more so within that sound. Imo, because of how popular it is now, I just feel like it'll eventually die out because eventually people will get bored and do what you said, move to something else until the next hype comes or this becomes a bit more diverse.. I am however hoping it won't because I do think it is cool and I very much do enjoy it. I just think there needs be some more diversity in it.

I agree with the Crystal Mad and Endymion style staying. I personally don't like it too much compared to other styles, but it is pretty powerful and so far, it's been pretty diverse I think. At the very least, it's been shown how diverse which is why I think it can stick around for a while. It also goes hand and hand with the style this thread is on, especially with some of the songs Endymion has put out with the melodies.

So maybe it will stick around longer since I just realized we do that the style Endymion has and it is growing and is similar in some aspects.

Oh, also good point about the melodies as I do think a big part of melodies now days being so uplifting is the sound design with the synths and the atmosphere. I didn't really start listening to hardstyle until right before Euphoric was a thing so that's probably part of it too as I didn't get to experience the hype of the music before then.
Trantix (20)
State Tourist

Postby Segugio » 23 Apr 2018, 17:17

Trantix: Most of SZP's tracks recently sound too similar to each other. It's he same kick type with relatively the same synth structure

Co-sign. Not a fan of the rolling bassline, either.

I'm really liking what Theracords artists are putting out right now. I hope this "classic" form of Hardstyle becomes popular again. I like a lot of the new sounds as well, but most SZP tracks are misses to me.
Segugio (33)
State Tourist

Postby spitles » 27 Apr 2018, 10:19

artstyle is taking over xD
spitles (31)
State Citizen

Postby icey » 14 Jun 2018, 21:50

Haven’t focused on hardstyle for a long time. A break was needed. Searching up tracks from this year and the last 2 years (maybe) I’ve noticed that hardstyle/raw has got a lot harder? As in more and more gated kicks. Also seems to have gone from 150bpm to mostly 155bpm? Am I wrong or is that how others have seen it develope over the last couple of years? I’m finding quite a lot of the style I used to play by names I don’t know so well (the purge/vyral/malice/rooler). I’ve even found delete and Thera dropping really hard stuff that I used to like too. I’m pleasantly surprised.

:)
icey (30)
State Hero

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles