Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

General Opinion vs. Hardstyle

Postby Subject Zero » 15 May 2011, 00:34

Matt:
Tiifa:just like double-t says. i hate it when people hear ONE song of an artist, and claims they listen to the whole damn genre that artist is in.

Absolutly, Deadmau5s first Album has nothing to do with Dubstep at all ! Actually dunno what style Get Scraped is...

His older stuff has nothing to do with electro-pop or dubstep, i love his progressive house stuff but now he is just doing it for the fame/money/mainstream idiots
Subject Zero (26)
State Hero

Postby omarak2229 » 16 May 2011, 02:12

When people ask me what music I listen to, I just say "obscure techno music" and that's that, but if they push the subject, I try to explain to them what Hardstyle is, where it came from etc. My best friends call Hardstyle shitty and claim that it's meaningless among other things because there are no lyrics. You can't forget the typical "it's just a bunch of BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM hurr". These guys listen to hip-hop, but not the generic crap played on the radio, the actual meaningful kind, so I do kind of understand where they're coming from, but ruling out Hardstyle just because it doesn't have lyrics (for the most part) is stupid. Saying it's meaningless just because there are no lyrics is ridiculous, there are elements that make music likable or "meaningful" other than lyircs.

Sometimes it feels kinda good to be part of the "underground", but fuck I'd love to have a local friend to talk to about Hardstyle. I can't wait for the day I visit Netherlands and go to a Q-Dance event.
Last edited by omarak2229 on 18 Apr 2015, 14:29, edited 2 times in total.
omarak2229 (26)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Qwertz » 16 May 2011, 02:22

classic music doesnt have lyrics aswell btw.....
Qwertz (27)
State Celebrity

Postby omarak2229 » 16 May 2011, 08:23

I'm fully aware of that lol
omarak2229 (26)
State Senior Citizen

Postby TheDiscoFan » 16 May 2011, 13:25

Qwertz:classic music doesnt have lyrics aswell btw.....

You really can't compare classic music to modern popular music imo, whether it has lyrics or not :p
TheDiscoFan (25)
State Celebrity

Postby Qwertz » 16 May 2011, 15:41

TheDiscoFan:
Qwertz:classic music doesnt have lyrics aswell btw.....

You really can't compare classic music to modern popular music imo, whether it has lyrics or not :p

no ofcourse not... my idea behind this post was that classic music is the most respected music, if poeple say some electronic music isnt music because it has no lyrics, they say that classic music isnt music aswell, and nobody would agree with that !
Qwertz (27)
State Celebrity

Postby Gearhead409 » 19 Mar 2012, 00:38

I'm pretty secret about my musical taste because I don't know how to describe it.

But me and 2 friends were sitting in one of them's bedroom, talking about the upcoming school dance. I said "I wonder if the soundsystem there can handle my hard shit."

I can't wait to show them the "hard shit." :)
Gearhead409
State Senior Citizen

Postby Reverse Ghost » 19 Mar 2012, 02:05

Play some older tracks by Delta 9, see if you can break it :+
Reverse Ghost (24)
State Legend

Postby Gearhead409 » 19 Mar 2012, 03:09

I'll create a mix of favorites.
Gearhead409
State Senior Citizen

Postby Double-T » 01 Jun 2012, 14:56

Hey there people,
Something just happened here and I'd like to know your opinion about that, hoping that people still care enough about that topic... There will be some politics in this post so if you don't like politics a little, better stop reading xD

In June 2012, France will go through legislative elections (and thus, French citizens will elect the people they want to be represented by in the parliament). In Nothern France, a town called Hénin-Beaumon currently is the scene of a fight between a woman from the far-right movement (the National Front) : Marine Le Pen and a guy from the Left Front : Jean-Luc Mélenchon.

For your information, you should know that presidential elections took place here three weeks ago and that the National Front scored 19% and the Left Front about 11% or something.

The last one just tweeted this :
Voilà le type de nazillons qui traînent dans le sillage de madame Le Pen à ‪#HéninBeaumont‬ ‪#AbolitionDeLePenDuNord‬ Image

Roughly translated, it means :
Here are the kinds of little nazis who hang out behind miss Le Pen in #HéninBeaumont

As you can see, those guys are just hanging around there without any flyers in their hands but wearing clothes relating to the harder styles (I think the one on the left wears a MoH sweater, right?)
Don't you think it's kind of abusive that people showing publicly their musical opinion are associated with Nazism?

I replied this via twitter to his post :
@melenchon2012 Insulting your opponent is one thing but insulting people because of their musical preferences is something else Mr. Mélenchon

to which, he (surprisingly) replied :
@Double_T__ Weird, weird... They were giving away flyers, not CDs...

As you can see in the pictures, they clearly aren't doing anything else but hanging around in the street.

My question is : What's you guys opinion about that?
And why do you think the harder styles are associated with nazism and far right politics?
I felt it before I heard it.
The heartbeat of a place I knew I belonged.
Double-T (25)
Baguette Baguette!

Postby MarlboroMan » 01 Jun 2012, 15:23

You just have to look at the Netherlands in the 90s and beginning of century. A lot of dutch nazis adopted the looks of the gabbers. Bald head, bomber jacket. They really look alike, only someone who knows both "scenes" can differ them. That's mostly why the people associate Hardcore/HardStyles/Gabbers with nazis, because they don't know better. It is the ignorance and the missing info what makes them judge wrong.

And that politicians use this to create propaganda isn't a new thing actually. ;)

Btw: Left one doesn't look like a MOH sweater to me, there is a sneakhead on it. ;)
MarlboroMan (26)
Global Mod

Postby SCH » 01 Jun 2012, 16:05

Left one defo isn't a OH-sweater, but it really looks like a mainstream-hc logo in the layout of it...
I'm grumpier than you.

Do people even read these?
SCH (26)
Producer

Postby Toxik Waste » 01 Jun 2012, 16:16

Imo, most of guys looking like this are actually neo-nazi or something like this. I mean, you can love Harder style and wear normal clothes instead of wearing training and looking like hooligans. Just my opinion.
Toxik Waste (28)
Producer

Postby nikkita » 01 Jun 2012, 17:03

Neo-nazis have been looking like that (shaved head, etc) for a lot longer than that.

A lot of dutch nazis adopted the looks of the gabbers. Bald head, bomber jacket. They really look alike, only someone who knows both "scenes" can differ them. That's mostly why the people associate Hardcore/HardStyles/Gabbers with nazis, because they don't know better. It is the ignorance and the missing info what makes them judge wrong.

It's because during the 90s, there was a following of racists/neo-nazis in the genre. There were a lot of releases and disclaimers "against racism" and attempts by artists/promoters to push them out and ensure they are not welcome. There is also sometimes this problem in the speedcore scene: a few years ago a friend of mine had to kick out a group of people when he saw them handing out fascist type propaganda flyers/shirts at his party.

Even still, these days there are still a small percentage of racists who adapt gabber/hardcore/etc as "their music", make problems for people, same thing with the fashion brands of certain companies that do not want to be represented by those idiots.

Unfortunately, obscure/angry music that borrows a lot of dark imagery in this way is going to be ruined by obscure/angry individuals who think the message can also be used to further their own agenda. Punk music for a time was ruined in the same way.
sic transit gloria mundi
nikkita
Vocalist

Postby Johnny250 » 01 Jun 2012, 17:14

c`mon guys don`t you know that both, Neo-Nazis and "Gabbers" copied that style from the Skinheadscene!
Johnny250 (27)
State Hero

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles