Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Drugs in the scene

Postby Lop-Sided » 09 Oct 2011, 09:21

It's only too often that I hear random people say that a huge component of going to big events, parties or clubs/raves is to get stoned cold or drunk as hell....or both. I guess it's another common EDM-related "stereotype" that I hear all the time.

I, myself, have never actually visited a big event or a party, so I don't really know what it's like. I mostly haven't been to one because there aren't really any events where I live, but other than that there are other smaller reasons that I haven't pushed myself to go either. Tbh, One of the smaller reasons that I haven't been anywhere is because I usually try to avoid places that are associated with drugs (I really dont like them at all...)

I was wondering what the situation is with drugs and hardstyle and the rest of EDM as a whole. Is it really as bad as everybody thinks or is it more of a fake belief? I want all the details. :)
Trance producer/Radio Show Host at 90.3FM KDVS
Check out my tuneessssss, broooooo!! http://www.soundcloud.com/sashavanlaur
Lop-Sided
State Celebrity

Postby PNXRMX » 09 Oct 2011, 12:21

In Holland it is normal, especially at 2000+ sized events, for a very large part of the crowd to be on something at hardstyle events. However, it is a misconception that this is anything to worry about. Just being at an event where people are using drugs will not get you involved with drugs unless you go looking for it. It is very rare that someone will try to sell you drugs, although you might get asked for some, and after a simple "no, sorry", they just go away. It is also a misconception that drug use at events leads to hostility and aggression. Fights are very rare at hardstyle events and when they do occur, it's usually between soccer fans of opposing teams :P.

I can't say anything about events in the US, but I assume it will be similar (perhaps more aggression due to drinking and/or coke rather than ecstasy use and perhaps more dealing going on because of the market, but I have no sources for this). I'd say drug use, especially ecstasy use (and even more so when people don't take too much) improves the atmosphere compared to drinking etc. Sober EDM fans are probably the best to have around, but the rest of the place needs to be filled up too. Would much rather have an area full of grinding faces than stumbling drunks :)
PNXRMX
State Celebrity

Postby Romanian Hardstyler » 09 Oct 2011, 12:38

i dont understand why somebody needs drugs at party's like this,music is the real drug (L) ,
i saw amoment in the hardbass 2011 dvd when a person take drugs,i dont know exactly the moment in the dvd :facepalm:
Romanian Hardstyler (26)
State Celebrity

Postby icey » 09 Oct 2011, 12:45

At events there are usually people using drugs, ecstasy, cocaine etc. Some people love it and some people choose not to use. I have friends who use and some who don't. Their choice and they enjoy the music the same :)
icey (31)
State Hero

Postby PNXRMX » 09 Oct 2011, 13:00

Romanian Hardstyler:i dont understand why somebody needs drugs at party's like this,music is the real drug (L) ,
i saw amoment in the hardbass 2011 dvd when a person take drugs,i dont know exactly the moment in the dvd :facepalm:

It's not about needing vs not needing, but drugs can give amazing experiences that simply aren't possible sober. If you're a big hardstyle fan, there are better situations to use certain drugs (ecstasy mainly) than at hardstyle parties. Of course don't forget that most people at events don't appreciate hardstyle to the level that forum members do. They use drugs at hardstyle parties like I would at techno or dubstep for example.
PNXRMX
State Celebrity

Postby DjVero » 09 Oct 2011, 13:17

I've tried it once on a hardstyle party and it definitely improves the whole thing imo :), I might do it again, but it's not that I desperately need it or something. I can myself enjoy easily without drugs or alcohol. Most of my friends aren't as much into hardstyle as I am though, so I can understand people find it better when on drugs :)
Mr. Revealed
DjVero (30)
Crab

Postby Schac » 09 Oct 2011, 13:57

I really hate it if people approve of drugs... GTFO!
I don't need gay breaks and a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke...
Fuck all that!
Schac (29)
State Hero

Postby thesh3ll » 09 Oct 2011, 14:02

i've never taken drugs beside some weed..

but i've read that extacy is really not harmful at all although i know someone who tried it and he told me he's never doing it again..
thesh3ll (28)
Producer

Postby PNXRMX » 09 Oct 2011, 14:19

Schac:I really hate it if people approve of drugs... GTFO!

Sarcastic or grossly misled?

Aliner:i've never taken drugs beside some weed..

but i've read that extacy is really not harmful at all although i know someone who tried it and he told me he's never doing it again..

Would be interesting to know whether he actually took ecstasy or something sold as ecstasy. I know 1 or 2 people who will never do it again for good reasons, but everyone I know (including them) had amazing experiences with it. It's shit that there is so much crap on the market in other countries. Not only gives drugs a bad name and keeps people from having these experiences, but can really put people through unpleasant things too.
PNXRMX
State Celebrity

Postby Schac » 09 Oct 2011, 14:38

PNXRMX:

Does it look like a sacrcastic statement?!
Please use your brain mate...
I don't need gay breaks and a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke...
Fuck all that!
Schac (29)
State Hero

Postby arder-arderstyle » 09 Oct 2011, 14:56

Schac:
PNXRMX:

Does it look like a sacrcastic statement?!
Please use your brain mate...

get a grip mate
(Early Hardstyle)
arder-arderstyle (28)
State Celebrity

Postby thesh3ll » 09 Oct 2011, 15:02

PNXRMX:
Aliner:i've never taken drugs beside some weed..

Would be interesting to know whether he actually took ecstasy or something sold as ecstasy. I know 1 or 2 people who will never do it again for good reasons, but everyone I know (including them) had amazing experiences with it. It's shit that there is so much crap on the market in other countries. Not only gives drugs a bad name and keeps people from having these experiences, but can really put people through unpleasant things too.

it was real mdma, he said he did have an amazing experience with it, but he took too much and had a seizure afaik..
he said he doesn't want to do it again since he believes it can't be good for you in any way

i don't blame him either, i won't do it for the same reason, i care about my body and my health
thesh3ll (28)
Producer

Postby Qwertz » 09 Oct 2011, 15:10

i could actually really rage about peoples ( who ofc NEVER been to any kind of real rave/edm-event ) stupid opinion about these events, like urghhh woooooot all those drugged people blablaballablupp random BS. meanwhile its totally normal and accepted to go to clubs who play regular popmusic. im not that often on parties, but i've already been to both, various events / clubs where real edm music is played ( hardstyle/core/trance/techno/minimal ) and to clubs where popmusic / popmusic-house is played. my experiences with people on edm-events are really positive, friendly and peaceful people, there are always some drugged guys, but i havnt seen any misbehaviour so thats not a problem for me ! well and my experiences with people at regular clubs are really negative, lots of fucked up people due to alcohol and also randomly bashes on the dancefloor and fights going on. dont need to tell here that music which is played there is a joke aswell :P
well i clearly made my point which parties i visit and which not.
Qwertz (28)
State Celebrity

Postby icey » 09 Oct 2011, 15:49

:+
icey (31)
State Hero

Postby ceero » 09 Oct 2011, 15:50

x2

Giving bad name to our music. Go fuck yourself, overdose somewhere down your basement but keep it out of this scene.

FUCK SPOTIFY
ceero (26)
State Retired Person

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles