Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

How to layer kicks and get a 'bassy kick'?

Postby JurreS » 24 Dec 2017, 18:37

Hey guys,

So I have two questions:

1. When I try to take 2+ kicks together and try to layer them, it often causes a kind of muted kick and doesn't sound too well. Is there something I'm missing or is there something I need to do in order to make those kicks work together? I have never layered any kicks and can't seem to find tutorials and YouTube!

2. How do I get a deep 'bassy' kick like NSD - Speakers? This kick goes so deep it's unbelievable, how can I make my kick sound a little more deep without kind of muting the actual kick?

Thanks!
-Jurre.
JurreS
State Newcomer

Postby Soundphase » 24 Dec 2017, 20:54

I create a send track with the same effects in the first chain but modified, so since both chains relate the sound doesn't go out of phase and I focus on the lows with the send chain, while the original chain is the mid character.

Maybe that's a tedious method, my advice would be to just take the "low" layer and experiment with layering it horizontally, adjusting it by a few milli-seconds each time on the horizontal plane until it eventually beatmatches
It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation
Soundphase (28)
State Celebrity

Postby Dj Reaper » 27 Dec 2017, 10:19

Heard that track some time ago and can‘t listen now but if I recall correctly it is just a standard „uptempo“ kick. I think you‘re better off without layering for that kind of kick. To get the bass you like you need the right spectral balance. What usually works for me for that kind of kicks is go from your soundsource/synth/sample into EQ - Distortion - EQ - Hardclipper. You activate first the distortion and boost a peak around 400 - 800 Hz and take out some bass so that the distortion gets more headroom (no lowcut, just take away a bit around 100hz usually, but how much and which frequency depends on your kick). Afterwards activate the hardclipper at the end of your chain, open a spectrum analyzer (at the end of channel strip or on master channel) and boost the lows in the EQ after the distortion around 50hz until you see in your analyzer that your subbass peak reaches at least that of the punch. You will probably have to back of the gain a little bit on your clipper to retain a punchy sound and play with the first eq, the distortion and if your source is a synth then with the synth‘s settings.
Afterwards if needed you can layer various percussive sounds onto the punch to make it knock harder but I advise against layers in the tail (for mainstream kicks it is different because they have a lot more movement in the tail).

At least this is some „standard“ procedure that usually gives me satisfying results if some classic uptempo-ish kick is needed. It is by no means the only or the right method to do it, maybe other producers don‘t do it this way.
Dj Reaper
State Native

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles