Not a fan of one of the genres?

(You can't hide all the genres)

Too much mixing or just right?

Share knowledge about DJ'ing here (Shared HS/HC)

Postby Xotic » 29 Jan 2016, 00:43

Attaching a quick mix and curios if its too much or just right. I know the dutch like minimal mixing in tracks but I am curious how you think this came out.

Break Zero & Deetox - Rock It and Prefix Destiny - Just a Memory

Xotic
State Newcomer

Postby MKN » 29 Jan 2016, 02:08

Nah I love that! (L)
Need more mixing like this :)
MKN (23)
Producer

Postby Xotic » 29 Jan 2016, 06:31

MKN:Nah I love that! (L)
Need more mixing like this :)

Thanks for the feedback, hard to tell what people like nowadays.
Xotic
State Newcomer

Postby Reverse Ghost » 29 Jan 2016, 13:31

This is legitimate mixing. The new way of "mixing" is just an immediate "slam this fader down, slam the other one up"
Reverse Ghost (23)
State Legend

Postby DjPractice » 30 Jan 2016, 09:39

more long mixes required - well done!
DJ PRACTICE - Playing weird shit since 2004
http://www.facebook.com/djpracticeofficial
Keep up to date with my new mixes, gigs, tracks and remixes :)
DjPractice
State Legend

Postby Gohan » 30 Jan 2016, 09:45

Sounds pretty neat imo :-) Listening to the hardbass sets I think my biggest problem these days is DJ's cutting of 2nd climaxes, and then playing the entire midintro and sometimes intro as well. In the mixing you do here its more the mid-intro that is mixed over, which gives a nice energy to it all as the transition into just a memory's climax is faster.
Gohan
State Senior Citizen

Postby dolanpls » 30 Jan 2016, 13:25

Sounds like a good mashup, definitely great mixing :)
dolanpls (21)
State Native

Postby hutzdani » 30 Jan 2016, 19:06

Longer mixes between mixes are way better, too much shunting faders or channels sounds broken and totally ruins most mixes flow but done well with timing and people who really learn their tracks it can be great.

Mixing long vocal parts into other tracks does my tits tho and is a cheap way out, this is a more hardstyle related issue as half of that genre sounds the same as whatever artist(s) are flavour of the scene at the time and just sounds like the same old tat we had since the down fall of proper hardstyle with early sounds and rev bass.

its not so bad with hardcore and its sub-genres, hence my move from hardstyle to hardcore around late 2011 / summer 2012
hutzdani
State Citizen

Postby Xotic » 30 Jan 2016, 23:27

Thank you all for the feedback, its good to hear that more people are craving longer mixes. I've always thought that a DJ set should be exactly that, time put into the mix itself and not just the tracks.

I uploaded the third song (sub sonik - go welcome to my world) that was on that mix because I think it also is a good representation of what we are talking about.
Xotic
State Newcomer

Postby watchyourse1f » 31 Jan 2016, 02:24

Love it, sounds professional and it allows the listener to immerse into tracks!
watchyourse1f (23)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Xotic » 31 Jan 2016, 08:07

watchyourse1f:Love it, sounds professional and it allows the listener to immerse into tracks!

Thanks for the professional comment it really mean a lot. I've been mixing for 15 years (yes I am one of those old guys you see at events, I'm 39 btw) so I am glad all of that time has paid off. I'm with you about the immersion aspect as I like to listen to my mixes while altered.
Xotic
State Newcomer

Postby Vicious » 01 Feb 2016, 07:34

"Long mixing" without using software/sync buttons/bpm counters etc actually takes effort and skill (especially if you don't leave yourself much time to beatmatch and properly mix in the next track). but you can't blame the guys playing at huge events not bothering, the majority of the crowd don't care and just want to hear melodies and drops anyway.
Vicious
State Hero

Postby watchyourse1f » 07 Feb 2016, 22:02

Xotic:
watchyourse1f:Love it, sounds professional and it allows the listener to immerse into tracks!

Thanks for the professional comment it really mean a lot. I've been mixing for 15 years (yes I am one of those old guys you see at events, I'm 39 btw) so I am glad all of that time has paid off. I'm with you about the immersion aspect as I like to listen to my mixes while altered.

You're most certainly welcome! :D

You shouldn't worry about the age, it doesn't matter, really! We're all one, equal family of united hardheads and that's what really matters! :p
watchyourse1f (23)
State Senior Citizen

Postby Zonic » 11 Feb 2016, 14:19

Reminds me of Wildstylez mixing before (2008/2009) - he had some really nice transitions as I can remember. Havent seen him in years so dunno how it is now.
Zonic (27)
State Celebrity

Postby Andi Veron » 20 Aug 2016, 15:58

I like those long transitions like you did. It adds so much more to a hardstyle mix and makes a mix sound like one body of work. DJs nowadays don't give a shit about mixing anymore, that is why there are only 16 bar intros in nearly every hardstyle track. When the outro comes they push play on the new record and 16 bars later they "slam the fader down" and put some reverb effect on it and boom that was the transition. That bothers me very much.

It may be ok when they are mixing live, but the sad thing is that most CD mix compilations sound the same.

I'm doing hardstyle mixes since 2007 now and I like to get creative with tracks. I mostly put my mixes together with ableton live, which gives me a lot of abilities to merge tracks together. So I have the opportunity to take parts out, that I don't like. Or to make loops from the outro part and make a longer intro part and stuff like that.

You can check it out here: https://hearthis.at/andiveron/cqt4z2dp/
This is my latest mix. Please let me know what you think of it.
(You can click on the little triangles at the bottom of the waveform to get to the transitions)
Andi Veron
State Tourist

Quick Reply

Register or login to share your passion for the harder styles